First addicting game.

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Jul 22, 2010.

1. lucyblue

lucyblue Just Joined

Pirates! on C64 :) I love sword fighting. And ship battles.

2. Wighar

Wighar Just Joined

Nemesis on MSX, ah what can I have been, 6 or 7 I think.

3. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

4. Ideophobia

Ideophobia Getting Started

For me it has to be SMB on NES. It was my first game, and I analyzed every aspect of that game.

5. Ratche

Ratche Active Member

Mine would easily be Final Fantasy 8 for Playstation. Still love that game.

6. RaindancerAU

RaindancerAU Getting Started

Some great mentions in this thread. I think the first game that I owned that had me completely hooked might be tough to call. I used to get games one disk box at a time and I mean the disk boxes that were as long as rulers, some had multiple games on them. Yes, my introduction to gaming coincided with my introduction to pirating :lol:

Trying to remember which was first is tough but it just may have been Gateway to Apshai from 1983 / 1984.
    Other luminaries from that era that spring to mind are;
    Impossible Mission
    Beach Head
    Bruce Lee

7. Ideophobia

Driver on PS1 was another one.

8. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

Archon, by EA on the Apple II. Played it to death and then some with my best friend ;)

An awful lot of memories in this thread though. I did play Gateway to Apshai (Asphai?) on a friend's C64. Took soooo longto load of the cassette, even for a cassette game :)

And more Apple II omg Conan, Chivalry, Sticky Bear Bounce. And Robot Odyssey! A game that teaches you programming and was that much fun! Holy crap those were some good edumactation.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. orbost

orbost Getting Started

Ohh, lots of great memories from my childhood here. Standouts for me are all Amiga games - Kick Off 2 (which got played non-stop with my housemates at uni when we should have been studying), TV Sports Football and TV Sports Basketball.

And also Elite, which I think I played on my C64. Made it all the way to Deadly - one of my proudest achievements in life!

10. xenoph

xenoph Well-Known Member

Championship Manager 96/97.
    I still play the follow-up games to this day.

11. Ideophobia

Tecmo Super Bowl! There's no telling how many hours I played this game.

12. densho

densho Just Joined

My first addicted started when I was just a kid with an Atari 2600 game - "Tom boy". After this the "Adventure Island " on NES took it's place and finally the SNES - mario games continued up until in the Nintendo Wii era are the ones that I can consider to be the last addiction :)

13. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

Arcade: Galiga and Dragon's Lair! Spent about $300 USD in quarters on each at the local arcade!

Online: Got hooked on calling BBs boards around the USA. Ran up a $963 USD phone bill (I still have that bill!) for a single month...disconnected and put away the 300 baud(!) modem after that.

Online Games: Alpha/beta tested The Realm Online. Stayed there for 10 years.

Stand-alone games: Bards Tale (the original version), the Wing Commander series including Freelancer, and the Baldur's Gate series!

TQQdles™

14. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

First addictive game = Aces over Europe from Dynamix...absolutely LOVED that game, esp the campaign. I still think it had the best campaign structure for any WW2 air combat sim ie.

1. you chose what squadron you went to (which showed you the current a/c type, future upgrades and mission ie. mudmover, fighter jock, etc)
    2. it allowed you to 'auto fly' to the target ie. you hit a button and it would proceed instantly ie. warp, but would stop when you got to a waypoint or came across enemy a/c, not require you to fly at 16x speed, etc.
    3. the rank progression was pretty good..no making squadron leader in 3 months because you shot down 50 a/c during that time.

Absolutely loved it.

15. Nayrukaita

Nayrukaita Just Joined

My first addictive game, definately Donkey Kong for the gameboy. Man, I spent so many hours playing that game. I literally danced around the house when I finally beat it.

16. Lotness

Lotness Just Joined

First was on Apple II when I was at High School at the tender age of 14. I played Conan the Barbarian, Loderunner, and.. addiction plus.. Spy Hunter! Don't forget Impossible Mission II as well.. so good!

Later on.. Zac McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders.. that was a great game. All addictive :)

17. Mr.BigDaddy

Mr.BigDaddy Just Joined

showing my age, but I would say the original pong, and at the same time, the Mattel handheld football. Its was all down hill from there

Me and my brother at one point tried to calculate how much money we have spent on gaming in our lives, we stopped calculating when we realized it was more than we paid for our houses. ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  18. Redbeard

Redbeard Well-Known Member

I think it was somehting from this list:
    List of Game & Watch games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably Egg (which my classmate had) or the classic orange Donkey Kong. The novelty at those time was mindboggling but later on I lost most/all interest in too grindish or just hoard points type of games. Let's just say my addictions evolved - as did the games :D

19. kiwiitis

kiwiitis Well-Known Member

Without a doubt Transport Tycoon and I still play the openTTd version now and again.

20. OnionS

OnionS Active Member

Breath of Fire 3 on the PSX. Played that game over and over again.