First computer

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by JohnDragon, Jul 7, 2007.

1. The Lorax

The Lorax Getting Started

my first computer was a sega sc3000 had a masive 32k ram till i got a disk drive and incresed it to 64k i was big kid on the st till a few months later the amstrad came out and comm 64

2. satanx

satanx Retired Captain

heh i remember that the amiga pwned the pc's at the time :lol:

3. Deadfyre

Deadfyre Well-Known Member

Dos was such a pain to run games in due to the fact that some pids had to be killed in order to hit the right about of upper and lower memory in order to run.

'noone will ever need more then 32 megs of ram'
    -Bill Gates

Boy was he wrong.

4. Deadfyre

CRUSAD3R has corrected me upon the error of mine quote.

I do still have a couple of 8088's and 8089's stored away at my parents house from years ago. Green screens and all.
    Those things were pretty scary expensive back in the day :(

5. ursak

ursak Getting Started

I thought our dear Bill G. said noone needed more than 64kb ram, but my mem isnt working these days hehe

Amiga was (and is) the greatest computer ever invented, never crashed and still works after years and years of me beating the crap out of it (If a game got to frustrating I just took it out on the poor amiga by hammering it with my boss joystick :p)

First computer I got was a Vic20 btw :)

Now I have my dear A500, IMB386 Laptop and Compaq CDS 486 :)

6. Deadfyre

Yeah us old folks can all use more memory.

7. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

It was 640k that ol Billy boy referred to, and yes, hindsight is a bitch.
    I lost track of how many hours i spent configuring high and low memory to make boot disks for different games so they would even run.

8. <Claymore>

<Claymore> Getting Started

I have had more computers than I care to remember, but my very first 2... funnily I got them both at the same time were the older midget ZX Sinclair and the first of my 3 C64s. :cool:

But I have had at one time or another every version and speed of the so called modern PC from the 8088 and 8086 thru to the Dual Core P4s and AMDs. (Just ask SatanX he has seen most of them in my workshop, It helps when you build computers for a living.) :eek:

But for shear fun for its day, even if it took ages to load. Were the rock solid C64s with a Gold Dragon Disc Drive, 2 button Serial ball mouse. (spent most of my time cleaning the rollers on that thing. :rolleyes:) And who could forget the great serial tape drive which took 5 minutes to load a game but would never save after you finished :mad:. Gees those were the days.

Thank heaven we have "cough" progressed to high speed CD ROMs and faster processors "cough" that are supposed to take less time in loading. (yeah right with the size of the games and updates we have today..UT2k4 with all maps and update can over 6gb..it can take hours to fully load :eek::rolleyes::().. or even the hmmmm virtual drive and VCDs. :twisted:

But still what have you got that you still have fun with?

9. ursak

ursak Getting Started

Yeah, 640k, the zero got lost as a pure misstake (user error) :p

10. Gwendalyn

Gwendalyn Active Member

My first, that I bought, was a C64. It was one with the cassette drive, Then I bought the floppy drive and a printer for it.

I had friends that had Apples, Amstrads and Texas Industries computers but the C64 was the best I thought at the time!

Had it for years and still do.... stored away!

The first computer that my folks bought was an Amiga 500. Wow what a difference to games that was!

11. George

George Retired Captain

I had a sinclair ZX spectrum 48k (84ish). I also had the printer that used a roll of heat paper that was grey. The printer used to burn into the thing to give you black lines. My mum thought i was trying to burn the house down every time i used it.
    I worked my way through consoles and then i brought a 486 DX2 66 (about 92ish). It had 4Mb of ram and I upgraded to 8Mb of ram for an extra 200 pounds. That's about $125 per Meg i think. It ran windows 3.11

12. Redbeard

Redbeard Well-Known Member

My cousin had zx48k Spectrum and I spent more time at their house than ours. We played Hobbit, Jet Set Willy etc. He had a double deck cassette player which we had to tweak to get decent copies of the games.

Tried programming with that as well and the rubber keys were enough to drive a small boy crazy - you had to type the Basic key words using the famed press ten fingers and a nose to keyboard to get the correct keyword (if you typed the same keyword it didn't work).

Couple of years later I used the Commodore marketing ploy to convince my mother, praising the wonderful utitlity of C64 in storing the families cooking recipes to 'cards'. We bought a used C64 with a cassette player + some cassettes with pirated games (I guess the crime is old by now). I made a catalogue to find each game using the counter on that cassette player.

Next was an Amiga1000 which I bought with the money I earned from summer job, but soon they published Dungeon Master and I had to buy a A500 next year in order to get the memory expanded to 1 Meg. For A1000 it was impossible (almost) to extend the memory enough.

After the Amiga period I bought a DX66 486 with 8 Megs of memory and started the PC era. Sigh @memories :)

13. CommandeR_SuLLy

CommandeR_SuLLy Well-Known Member

Tandy/TRS-80 here.

Taught myself how to program basic stuff at the ripe age of 11, out of a text book.

Ahhhh the memories !

14. bulldog698

bulldog698 Retired Captain

Adtron with 5.25 floppy disk drive and no hard drive.

15. Fully

Fully Active Member

I had a sinclair ZX spectrum many hours of programing fun :)
    Then i brought a 486 DX2 66 or about $4000.
    But what the coolest my father owned arcade machine's witch ended up being Timeout/Timezone at present :)
    So many hours in the garage playing arcade machines.

16. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

LOL I just remembered something else I have sitting around as one of my early systems is the Amstrad Mega PC (Actually mine was the Mega Plus which was faster). An interesting system with an integrated Megadrive board for running megadrive games. With a massive 486 running at 33MHz and I THINK i ended up running it with 32meg of ram (1mb as standard and 4mb for the Mega Plus ugh) and upgraded from its default 40mb hdd to a spare 540mb.

17. Sloffe

Sloffe Active Member

My first 'computer' was an addon to my intellivision with a keyboard and I think it had 2k of memory. I then progressed to the c64 which I then added the disk drive, then I discovered that by putting another notch in the floppy you could use both sides of the disk! Wow! all that space made my head spin :) Finally when I decided to go to uni I realised I'd need a real computer for my studies. Built myself a 286-8mhz beast with 1 meg of ram, a 20mb HDD and a VGA mono screen. No CGA crap for me! Had some fun with that, stuff the studying, played wolfenstein til it gave me motion sickness, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, (still one of my favorites) Space Quest and then the game which started the upgrade cycle - XWing. Soon realised that I'd have to move up to a 386 and a colour VGA for that one as well as a tsenglab video card and so it began... and the addiction continues. :)

18. Sir Fitz

Sir Fitz Retired Administrator

1st - C64, then upgraded to 128

2nd - Amiga500, them upgraded to the 1200.

19. FeZza

FeZza Well-Known Member

My first was a C64. Spent so many nights sitting at that that my wife forbade me from buying another keyboard for years! I enjoyed putting litle progs together in Basic and modifying existing ones to do what I wanted.

Software wasn't a problem either as I somehow found like a community Lan event held once a month in a hall in Campbelltown, NSW, where you could play games, or just take yer 2 floppy drives along and "archive" as much software as you could in the few hours you were there :) Think it cost $5 to attend in those days. When I got rid of the C64 (only about 6 yrs ago) I had over 3,000 programs all on 5 1/4 floppies.

I was allowed to have most of the consoles for many years until about 5 yrs ago when I convinced the wife that she needed a computer for so many reasons :) and i haven't looked back since ;)

20. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

LOL at C128, talk about CBM trying to milk cash out of consumers back then.
    There really wasn't that much improvement. OH YAY AN ONBOARD RESET BUTTON!?! OMFG lol. Two words... CASH... COW. :D