First game that scared you?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Oct 31, 2010.

1. AvatarICEMAN

Was going through some abandonware and classic gaming, e.g. Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, kings quest etc and came across Darkseed.

Darkseed was one of the major games that had its first impact of scaring me, at the start a mate and me where just mucking around with it but after awhile we had to stop playing it, as it was just getting a bit too much.

- Dark Seed (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you remember your first games that scared you so much you had trouble sleeping?

2. Dipski

Dipski Getting Started

It's not all that old, but the original Silent Hill on PS1 genuinely scared the living crap out of me when I first played it - it was awesome!

3. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

System Shock 2 was pretty good for scary moments (as well as being the best game ever made), I remember actually hiding in the game at one point.

The all out most scariest part of any game that I have ever played has to be The Cradle, a level in Thief-Deadly Shadows, I dare anyone to try playing it in the dark with a good pair of headphones on.

4. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member

Mine would be DOOM. At the time I was living alone and I used to play at night with the lights off. The one after that was Hellgate London, same again, playing in the dark but now married. I remember one night going downstairs to get a drink, I went in the dark so not to disturb my wife by turning the lights on, only to meet my wife coming up the stairs in the dark. How I never screamed like a girl I'll still never know.

Even now HGL still has it's moments.

5. AvatarICEMAN

System shock was one as well playing at midnight, the other one was It Came from the desert on the amiga, after I left the house I would always check down the road to see if any ants were coming.

6. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

LOL - I have had dreams about ants after playing that, scary dreams

7. butterfly

butterfly Well-Known Member

Resident Evil
    Two burley blokes playing in the middle of the night.
    Licker crashed through the window we both squealed like little children, I kicked over the coffee table jumping back and threw the controller at the screen. The wife almost wet herself when see came down to see what the commotion was.

And now she loves telling everyone the story.

8. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Space Hulk... the atmospherics in that game would make my skin crawl.

9. lfe011969

lfe011969 Just Joined

Resident Evil 2 was the first game that actually made me jump (didn't play the first one). My 10 year old son and I played it in the dark in his room and even on the crappy 21" tube TV he had, it still made my heart beat fast!

10. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Division Captain

I had the demo of that. Was enough to scare me too!

Further to this, it would have to be Halflife 2. Hadn't played the original, though.

11. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Star Citizen Officer

DOOM was first, System Shock was probably 2nd.

12. MankyWarrior

MankyWarrior Getting Started

Half Life single player mode. Lights off, dark room, speakers up. scared the life out of me on a number of occassions

13. Molten Black

Molten Black Just Joined

lol yep, those head crabs just come out of nowhere.

For me though, Silent hill has to be the one that not only made me shout out loud, it actually disturbed me.

14. Angakoq

Angakoq Just Joined

I'd proberly have to agree with the Doom that scared me aswell. Just something about dark rooms with things that jump out trying to kill you that gets the heart going I think.

15. daranthered

daranthered Well-Known Member

The first time a game ever made me jump was Resident Evil, but that was more of a shock The game that scared me was Silent Hill. Those fetus things...I don't want to think about it.

16. Zulion

Zulion Getting Started

I would have to say the original resident evil as well. I mean that was just downright frightening. I remember by buddy would sit there for hours watching me play and be totally freaked out.

I do not remember which resident evil it was but also you ran like little missions and while you ran then the big guy stalked you man that was a good scare as well.

I really enjoyed the early ones, but they got a little too crazy in figuring out some parts in the later ones

17. .Dingo

.Dingo Getting Started

:eek:

Definately have to be System Shock, not sure whether it was 1 or 2. Scary stuff.

18. Ryo

Ryo Retired Administrator

Starmaster, an old Atari 2600 game from something like 1982 or 1983. I seem to remember you could lose all your shields and be wide open, and seeing a bunch of baddies heading for ya like that would startle ya.

I was a jumpy kid.

19. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Peek-a-boo as a baby....lol. Dungeon Master on the Amiga would be my standout memory from back in the day, followed by Doom back on the PS era. Both are similar feel closed dungeons, loud music and big monsters sneaking up.

20. daranthered

daranthered Well-Known Member

Well, if we can go back that far; every character in Candy Land scares the s**t out of me. They all look like psychotic pedophiles, the licorice guy looks like Strawberry Shortcake's pimp. Don't get me started on Uncle Wiggly

[​IMG].