First game that scared you?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by AvatarICEMAN, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Kaptain Reefer

Kaptain Reefer Well-Known Member

2. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

I played DOOM, RE, System Shock etc...but for some reason I was much more disturbed by two games:

Fatal Frame was a really good Japanese horror game (I'm fairly certain I played it on XBOX)...I don't scare easily, but this was a game I could not (chose not to) play before bed, even if that when it was most effective.

As mentioned in other posts...Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines had some superior scary elements as mentioned...

Just an aside...very disappointed those morons at CCP who paid $20+ Million for the White Wolf franchise to develop a World of Darkness MMO shuttered it (after 8 years) because they spent too much on a crappy console FPS (Dust 514) to accompany their EVE universe...

3. Elderly scroll

Elderly scroll Just Joined

The first Doom. In my class in my third year of elementary shool

4. Jero

Jero Getting Started

I'll 2nd this one. Hearing an alien would have you flipping through all your chararcters and then one would start firing and it was gogogogo......

5. DaOnE

DaOnE Just Joined

System Shock II , Doom 3 and the classic Clive Barkers Undying

6. BoneInspector

BoneInspector Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

All these recent games in the list, stop making me feel old.

Alone in the Dark was the first for me. Took about 5 years to get the courage finish it, and get old enough to work out how.

The only other one that freaked me out when I was a kid was Apple Panic, I remember seeing older kids play this when I was 5 or so and the bug things were just plain scary then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Panic

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. Cahiry

Cahiry Well-Known Member

lol i'm with you on this one, I spent many many hours on this one

8. Glancer

Glancer Just Joined

It all depends on your level of immersion.

There's been many games with moments of surprise, but first scary game? I'd also have to go with DOOM from 1993, as so many already have. Those growling sounds, especially before you could see anything to shoot at.

For sheer terror though: "UFO: Enemy Unknown" a.k.a. "X-COM: UFO Defense" (1994), no question - the first night missions, where you'd have no or insufficient flare grenades, or any night mission with Chryssalids! I still play it occasionally :-D

Others have already expressed almost the same opinion re. UFO/X-COM, so I'm not the only one.

9. Boulderdash

Boulderdash Just Joined

Encounter (C64), when the special sound came up and you had to react really fast or die.
    Forbidden Forest (C64), chilly atmosphere.

10. @Threshold

@Threshold Active Member

I'm going with Doom also. Still remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.
    Johnny is doing Oculus rift now right ?
    Should be another level of immersion.

11. jack the spirit

jack the spirit Just Joined

DOOM! All time Classic! Not forgetting Duke Nukem from that era.

DOOM was the ultimate FPS, even when you knew exactly what was behind the fake walls! Wolfenstein was also incredibly Addictive!

Looking back, it looks like the inspiration for Halo was DOOM, and the inspiration for COD was Wolfenstein!

Fear and Trepidation on 700% max Health lol

12. iritlus

iritlus Just Joined

first game that scared me to the point i screemd was the wheel of time... damn trail of blood+trolok+lightning...
    then there is undying. the LOADING made it worse

and home alone... i closed it at the crazy dog..

13. Mixzawa

Mixzawa Active Member

Resident Evil (original release) when them damn dogs jump through the windows. Remember freaking out as I shaked around trying to kill them but failed.

14. colleen88

colleen88 Just Joined

DOOM is one of it

15. cowkiller

cowkiller Active Member

16. roob

roob Well-Known Member

very first one?

I remember playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons with my cousins on the intellivision.

intellivision_advanced_d_and_d_screen_4.jpg _-Advanced-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Intellivision-_.jpg

It had map reveal as you went around the dungeons and even though you couldn't see the monsters that were nearby, you could hear them growl at you.

Many moments of running away screaming as a dragon chased you trying to claw your face off.

good times :)

17. colleen88

colleen88 Just Joined

Bomber man

Actually its not a horror game but if i need to put bomb on the enemies or enemies are trying to chase me and need to put a bomb without blasting myself it really made me fall off my seat. Old game

CannonFodda likes this.
  18. Deweyoxberg

Deweyoxberg Well-Known Member

I would say Doom3. Not the 16 bit doom, the one where the movie came out around the same time.

What specifically bothered me started early on in the game. The radio chatter when all hell is (literally) breaking loose, with the random screaming and latin devil-speak. Seeing the guy turn in front of me few seconds later set the stage for what would be a very frightening session.

I was "okay" for a few minutes after. My adrenaline was running high but it was tolerable. I figured as long as I played very cautiously and inspected everything, mapping out things as I went, I would be fine. It's the mapping things that broke me.

At one point I was looking for a specific PDA lost somewhere in the facility. Now, I have a deep rooted childhood fear of the darkness stemming from a string of break and enters in my home as a three year old child and on the last attempt someone tried to kidnap me. To say I am terrified of the dark does NOT tell you enough. Beyond terrified.

There I am, sneaking around and I spy this glowing thing on the ground in a bathroom. Excellent! It's the PDA! Rather than rush off in a bee line I figure to take this slow and quiet, check all the corners, yada yada. I even used the mirror in the bathroom to look behind me as I entered, no problems. I could hear monsters and far off screaming, the odd rumbling from underground somewhere, truly mind screwy stuff.

And there's a vent right above the PDA. I'm thinking "HA! I got you ID! I know you're going to have baddies in there!". I shoot the crap out of it, sure enough, a bunch of monsters die right. Pretty quiet, etc. I grab the PDA, do the reading, log the clues on a notepad by hand etc.

I figure it's time to leave, check ammo, yada yada. And I have a sneaking suspicion something is going to spawn either directly outside past the door or behind me on my way out. Naturally, I use the mirror to check behind me.

SWEET MOTHER OF HOLY JEHOSAPHAT WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT. I outright screamed and shot back from my computer chair. Everyone in the net cafe wondered what the hell was going on. Before I had a chance to show the cutscene, it was gone, as quickly as it came.

That set me adrenaline on red alert for the remainder of my gaming session. I played another ten minutes shaking uncontrollably and finally quit right out. I've never touched it again.

SPOILER ALERT:

Cut scene is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJB8GdlG6UY

19. Lowdrag777

Lowdrag777 Getting Started

Half Life

20. any1seenjoe

any1seenjoe Division Vice Captain for Minecraft Division Captain

I remember that as the scariest moment in the game. After that I spent the rest of the game expecting something to jump out at any minute.

The first game that I remember scaring me award would have to go to "The Detective" on the c64. Upon entering a room where the newest murder victim, a scream would trigger followed by the funeral march music. (I was in primary school at the time)