Flight Simmers

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Jello63, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Jello63

Jello63 Well-Known Member

Jervis Bay N.S.W: TOG Sponsor: XFire-jello63. Fox'
    I've just got Pacific Fighters from Santa :lol: & IL2 & the expansion also can be added to Pacific Fighters which looks great. Have yet to try MP but you can fly a a full crew of a bomber, dog fight against each other, just sounds pretty damn good.

We had some interest in getting into flight combat, is there still interest?

2. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I'm keen... contact me and we'll organise a time to fly/crash :)

I still need to get the gold pack though.

I'll start a server at my place if you like!!

3. Jello63

Sounds good to me, I haven't got ILs or it's expansion yet either, just standalone PF. Howabout this afternoon or tonight, I'll catch on xfire. :)

4. Gazz

Gazz Active Member

I have IL2 and Aces expansion, but no PF yet. Would be interested in flying sometimes if it can be arranged. Co-op missions can be fun against the AI.

5. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I'm reading the reviews now.

I might spend my xmas present (EB voucher) on this one ...

6. Jello63

So far Fox, I haven't dug too deep into PF, but what I have seen so far, it's a pretty good simulation, plenty of eye candy & MP could be lot of fun flying Co-op missions as well as dog fight mode.

I think I'll have to lash out & get IL2 & the expansion & get the full potential of the whole package. I look forward to getting some interest in a combat flight sim & trying to blow each other out of the air :D

7. minx

minx Getting Started

Been working alot prior to christmas and been away since chrissy, so haven't been around a hell of a lot...

This is basically all i play now, about 50% online and 50% offline.

You will need hyperlobby to join most online games, its like a server spy, chat tool etc. About 80% of the PF players use it, to host their own servers etc. When hosting through hyperlobby it can't be seen by ASE

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/

You will also need the latest patch - 3.04m (released only the other day)

I read Ace's post the sticky a minute ago, and you DO need good input devices (ie joystick). Lately I have been flying with a nostromo n52 which is really quite good for simming (directional pad good for vision out of the cockpit). Stick is a logitech extreme 3d. A HOTAS control with twist handle (for rudder) is a must! Even this stick lacks the precision/options of whats need IMO. I have just ordered a saitek x52 ($220) from techbuy.com.au delivered (x52 in no stores in WA).

Key with this game is practise, practise and more practise. Learning deflection shooting, offensive/defensive manouvers, individual aircraft attributes etc. It takes a loooong time to get frags online with the virtual (half of them are actual) pilots. There's now a few servers in AUS from time to time as well, the communtiy is quite good and willing to help (check out official forums at UBI). Once your getng confident with flying offline, make sure you get good at flying with realism settings (cockpit only/no external views/no icons etc) - most (about 80%) of servers use them.

I'll say it again, a highly rewrarding game if your willing to "learn" (learning curve is quite steep) how to fly an actual WW2 airplane, with hours of enjoyment to be had :)

8. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Hey Minxy good to see a fellow flight simmer around.

I got my sister to pick up a Saitek from Techbuy while she was driving through Sydney. Price has dropped to A$198-00 as they received a sea mail shipment just after christmas.

We will have to swap profiles sometime as it looks like no one in TOG (ie. Viking) has heard of our funky new controllers.

I also ordered the TrackIR Pro and Vector Expansion from PC Aviator Australia while their 10% off everything January sale is happening.

In the end, I decided I would go Saitek rather than CH or Thurstmaster given that I am not sure I would like using Rudder pedals ingame. First I have to adapt to a separate throttle control.

9. minx

minx Getting Started

heh, nice work Ace.

I've thought about track ir, but my desk is so cluttered now, the x52 is a beast! That and the keyboard, mouse, and nostromo n52....too many peripherals - couldn't handle a track ir as well! besides, i think the x52 is great with the mouse movement on the throttle, no need for TIR from what I can see although it would be useful.

Yeah I got my x52 for the $198, +$2 ins +$20 for delivery, its a big item. Only received it the other day, and I'm about half way through my profiling - 3rd attempt. I ended downloading a couple of profiles with the settings.ini files from some users in the saitek forums (you have to be signed up to view) which gave me an idea of different configs - but ended up using a combination of all of them which is sort of similar to using the nostromo n52. No need for pedals anyway with a stick that has twist rudder IMO - that and the x52 is so much cheaper than the CH products.

I'm also playing LOMAC for the first time, now seriously, that is going to take quite a while to learn. I think PF will be my choice though.

So Ace, send me an e-mail to sensei@3fl.net so I can send ya my profiles when done. It will probably take a few more days for me to thoroughly test and configure all settings, but you will do not have to use your keyboard for anything. I'll also give you some info on fello aussies that are mad simmers in Aus, meeting nightly on Aus servers in TS and flying organised dogfights and campaigns - up to 50 odd people in the servers! These guys have been flying for quite a while (since original FB) and are extremely good and proffessional, but always welcome newbies like me.

Goes for anyone else in TOG who has got that simming bug as well :)

10. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

The track IR takes no room at all given the sensor sits on top of my monitor and the reflective tabs on the natural point baseball cap on my head, so no desktop real estate is needed.

Working smoothly in 2D view (Pitch and Yaw) in the mean time. Its more intuitive and natural using the track IR to pan around the cockpit so you can automatically track a turning fighter without having to do anything beyond natural head movements.

If you think you can afford it, now is a good time to buy given the 10% discount off all orders from PC Aviator Australia during January 2005. With the strength of the Australian Dollar, I have seen it pretty cheap shipped from the UK, but its handy to get local dealer support.

I configured the X.52. Joystick profiles with the help of the Saitek forums too. Basically after dissecting Drayu's profiles, I just used my standard settings using the Battlefield ingame settings and tweaked it to get the rudder working.

Mechwarrior 4 worked perfectly out of the box.

Thanks for the offer, I will e-mail you for your LOMAC and PF config files once I get around to reinstalling Falcon 4.0, LOMAC and Pacific Fighters again onto my PC.