For the time of APB

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by CDAT, May 16, 2010.

1. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

well keep us updated on your though etc on this game. im still going to get it but im just going to have to waiting untill the end of the month.

2. Reven

Reven Active Member

Even though it's a pre-order Open Beta I'm not sure if the NDA is lifted..

So all I'll say for the moment is I thought everything from start to in-game ran exceptionally well and is extremely well done and I think the game will have a very smooth launch. More to follow :)

3. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

I searched the APB forums for information: one of the APB "community officers" states that you're (still) not allowed to discuss the closed beta, but the "KttC [open beta] players are not bound by an NDA."
    (Here's the link - provided that you have access to the APB forums)

4. Reven

Reven Active Member

OK! Please correct me if I get anything wrong.

The character generation is well done, they have put a lot of effort in the creation of characters and their appearance in the game possibly even more detail than in AOC, even the smallest details like sinking eyes back and darkness/creases around the eyes. It would not be far wrong if I said it would be hard to find 2 characters that look the same on a server.

After you've created your toon and got in game it's time to get some money up either through the tutorial which is well done or jump directly to a district and accept a quest. The basic quest system as far as I've seen is made up in chains so if you're a criminal you might go steal some goods, deliver them somewhere, then pick up a stolen car and deliver that somewhere, in the meantime an Enforcer player will have been dispatched to stop you, from what I've seen the last part of a quest chain is holding an area or destroying something which takes time and you have to kill the opposition a number of times before they kill you, seems like first to 4 kills wins the quest.

Another quest type which is a blast is taking out a target, you get offered missions to track someone down and assassinate them, easy to track down as they show up on the hud :)

It's very GTA like except for control on the cars which feel like you're driving on ice. Each car/truck drives differently so I'm hoping that the higher end models hug the road a lot better or they are still adjusting the physics model of the cars.

Once you get some cash you can head into the social district and buy some new clothes, get tattoos, buy new weapons, detail your car/s, details your clothing. Spending time in the Social district doesn't count against your game time so you can spend as much time in there as you like.

Their is numerous options on clothing and colors and I think you go up in design levels which unlocks more clothing.

You can design decals to put on your clothing and cars, the editor is fairly versatile and people with the time will be able to create some awesome designs with whats available. There is also existing decals and symbols available but a lot need to be unlocked.

The game play I found to be a blast, the lag from Aus to US could be a win/lose factor but I found I could beat opponents in a one on one by out flanking and coming from unexpected sides.
    In group fights I could use cover and take out a few enemies before being taken down.

Grouping is well done, you can call for backup and players will be given the option of helping you out, if they agree they are put in a group with you and they join in on the quest.

In game voip is a nice touch and it can be disabled, it is situational so if you are in the social district and you move near someone you can hear them talk, unfortunately voice activated is default so I have set mine to disabled for now.

The game seems very solid with only 10 days to release, what they can add to it in the future to keep people paying will have to wait to be seen.

If you want to play some cops and robbers with a lot of self styling options thrown in then this is a game to check out.

Alienware.com still has key to the city codes available and the client can be downloaded at na.apb.com or eu.apb.com - the 2 clients are region specific. It's around a 8gb download. The open beta finishes on the 19th June.

CDAT likes this.
  5. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

rohne just wanted to say awesome read and thank you for letting us know about the game alittle more.

i spose the next step is, especially for thoughs who already are playing in the open beta is which or what region did pre purchase.

im tending more towards NA cos i know i can get around 200-300ms. though i dont know what my connection would be like connecting to EU.

i am definitly getting this game. i would just like to know which region everyone is going to play in and why if you dont mind.

6. Reven

Reven Active Member

One thing I forgot to add in my write up was that when you enter an action zone all players are grey and immune to damage from you, once you start a quest only your enemies turn red and you can kill them.

An excellent rundown on the game is available here APB (video game) - Giant Bomb

I'm on the NA servers cos the ping is way better for me 200-300 compared to 500+ to EU.

Just noticed they gave us an extra 5 hours in kttc event.

7. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Well the beta has a time limit, but I enjoyed my run. It is pretty much all pvp really, but it was good. Pretty slick game if you ask me.

8. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

with the KTTC eneded, now the wait for the released date. That being said for those of you that played in the KTTC, which side are you going to mainly be playing in the full release?

9. Reven

Reven Active Member

I think I'll stick to the crim side mainly seemed like easier options for leveling with the smash and grab. I'd like the hit boxes fixed in the game though, it's a little easy to kill someone just by shooting them in the foot.

10. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

Yep can't wat for next Tuesday the 29th. apb gaming will start for me. Wow subscription is canceled. So looking forward to this game. And yeah I've to decde to g crim just simple cos of my play style cops just won't cut it fo me.

Decide to dedicate the first 10 hours of me launching the game for the first time in customizing my toon to look exactly like me. Mwahahaha

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  11. Reven

Reven Active Member

Haha nice one.

12. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

It will look like

<------- that. He he

13. WaRd0GZ

WaRd0GZ Getting Started

How was the lag in the NA beta? I played the EU beta and it was so laggy when driving. I still enjoyed the game and want to pre-order but not 100% decided because of the lag factor I came across in EU. The driving was so lagged that it was semi-impossible to dodge traffic or go through tight spaces without crashing. Can you give me an idea of how bad lag really is in the NA server? I've waited about 3 years for this game to release... and no aus release. Hopefully that won't stop me from buying it.

14. Reven

Reven Active Member

The lag didn't really affect me playing too much on NA server, it was there for sure but from Australia to NA the ping will be around 300-450 which is playable, to EU it will be more like 400-600+ which is too much.

15. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

yep yep thats why i chose to go with NA, being a wow player and in hope apb had done is coding right, ping to he US should be the same as wow which when i was playing about about 200ms. so apb should for me at least (and hoping) playable.

16. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

2 DAYS for the pre-order pre start for those of us who oredered the NA version, saturday here i come mwahahha.

17. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

just ove 24 hours and apb is live!!!!!!!!!1

18. Reven

Reven Active Member

yeh not long to go :)

19. Reven

Reven Active Member

Servers will be up 2am Aus Eastern Time, Zombie will be the busiest NA server from reading the forums so looks like I'll roll there.

EU World Servers
    Obeya
    Patriot

NA World Servers
    Zombie
    LaRocha

PTW World Server
    Wastegate

20. CDAT

CDAT Active Member

sounds like zombie sever it is then :)