FPS issues...

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Dalienx, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Dalienx

Dalienx Well-Known Member

so as my base has gotten larger and more complicated my fps is getting worse and worse.
    If i stand in the middle of my base currently i get about 10, but if i move away from the base i get a much more usable 70
    and im struggling to understand why, sure ive got some machines and stuff but no-where near as much as some other players.
    Thinking it might have been my video card (a hd6850) i upgraded that yesterday to a R9 280x but it made no difference at all!! :mad:
    Ive also tried every other suggestion i can find on the web, including setting java's priority to high, running in admin mode, completely re-installing minecraft and ftb, and re-installing java.
    I'm stumped, and getting kinda anoyed. :confused:

I7 quadcore @2.8ghz
    12 gig of ram
    R9 280x
    win7 ultimate 64-bit

2. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

Last time i was at your place there were alot of mobs in the area on my radar, mayby that has something to do with it? I find also that steam engines drop my fps considerably, added bunch of those lately?

3. Dalienx

hmm i do have quite a few steam engines, but they are down on bedrock, a good 60 or so levels below, as for the mobs.. not much i can do about that, even if i go on a killing spree they just respawn

4. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

I don't think the depth of the engines matter, when the chunk is loaded it's loaded all the way to the bottom and if there are engines in that chunk they will be loaded as well.

Perhaps Aveege meant animals, like cows and pigs? If you have large enclosements full of animals they will be hard on the fps. Similar I have noticed that growing and harvesting trees can be quite a hog. So if you have a large tree farm you might want to consider reducing it, or not running it all the time. I guess this can be yet another way of indicating that steam engines cause problems; it's not just the engines themselves but all the infrastructure you need to have them running.

You should get someone else over there as well to see if they also notice fps drops. If they do you can at least rule out hardware or software problems.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. Dalienx

tried turning the steam engines off, no change