free Medal of Honour beta?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Buttersoft, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

Free if you bought BC2 on Steam, anyhoo. You can download it for nothing, and it's only about 800mb, i think.

First impressions?

Crashy, laggy, buggy, with an intolerably frustrating server browser. I had to use matchmaking to get a game, and when i did i have no idea where the server was, probably Russia. I hate matchmaking more than just about any other form of infantilisation. I also found a bug trying to rebind my keys, ffs. (Some keys/combos can't be re/bound or used for some functions?)

Once in though, the game is very pretty, even more so than BC2, and the environments are supremely rich. Easy when you don't have to move or manipulate anything. So no destruction yet, but it's the frostbite engine so it may be possible later. Weapons nice, hud nice. Rego ok. Overall it's about on par with BC2 in those terms, I guess. Vehicles exist but I haven't fought in or with one yet.

However, you run at one, mb one-and-a-half kph, which means the game is tactical but may not prove terribly exciting save for novelty value.

Further thoughts as they occur to me or anyone else :)

2. Pirate_Radio

Pirate_Radio Well-Known Member

ive found u always run really slow in the past medal of honour games. suppose its got something to do with the pack u may be carrying, but some of the titles ur in the OSS and dont carry a pack. i dunno i think thats just a trait of the brand

haha somewat reminds me of Killzone.... u run painfully slow and feel fat in that game. even crouch seems like ur an old man trying to bend over and pick up a newspaper.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. Buttersoft

yeah, MoH was always characterised by the sluggard-soldiers you got to embody. The older ones sucked that way.

4. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

played it today. didn't like it, especially compared to BC2. was wondering if I'd spend the cash on a new BC2 4 map wonder, but now i know....I'll be passing.

5. Buttersoft

You mean you're not going to buy the BC2 expansion pack? Or you're calling MoH a BC2 expansion patch and you don't like it? I'm nonplussed here :)

In other news, I played some more, managed to find some west coast US servers. The browser is a nightmare. Ingame movement is very restricted and slow, jumping is low, doesn't seem to do anything much. I crashed out 6 or 7 times in ten minutes, no joke. Sometimes crashing opened my winamp player and started a random track playing... weird.

I'd love to be in longer in order to get a fuller impression of the game, in an Aus server. It might not be completely awful, but it's not stacking up well against our favourite :)

6. UN1TISGOD

UN1TISGOD Active Member

PRE-ORDERD as i was bored ... played the beta ...

Its like MW2 + BFBC2 - Destruction (as of the beta)
    The graphics detail is very lovely and nice eye candy.
    But some issues withit ..but ..is a Beta...so its to be expected.
    Feels odd not playing RUSH Tho ..but they do have a RUSH variant in the form of Mission.
    But im yet undecided as i hate the sights on the sniper rifles ..some funky idea ..that wouldnt work in real life ...give me back my Mil dots you bastards *shakes fist*
    Be more interested if the rifles have bullet drop ...but not int he beta ..so ill guess we shall see.

7. Dementia

Dementia Well-Known Member

Been trying to play it, but, in my opinion, it just sucks. What kind of a sniper rifle starts out with no magnification and a red dot sight??? Iron sights on the other weapons aren't too bad, but some info on what you have to do to reach unlocks would be nice. So far have only unlocked extended magazines. Not terribly impressed with the graphics, weapon performance in general seems off kilter, and, as mentioned by others, I think the server browser sucks. May actually be worse than the BC2 server browser. Really not planning on spending any money on this game.

8. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

When I was taking a look at the game description for MoH, I saw that it was using the frostbite engine for MP. But I also saw that there was only going to be a total of 4 maps and didn't really think that it was worth paying full price (ie $110) for a game that only offered 4 maps in MP.

Guess the SP aspect might make up for it a little bit, but who plays the SP :)

I have been really REALLY impressed with what DICE have done in BC2 and probably will get the expansion when it gets released, but I think I'll give MoH a miss.

9. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

I think you are forgetting this is only in BETA and only designed for testing / reporting purposes so they can fix what is broken ... the BFBC2 BETA was exactly the same if we can remember that far back but over time it was fixed as the reports were made to the correct people / places ...

Are you guys actually reporting these issues you are having or just comparing it to a fully released and fully patched several times over game .. Obviously you cant compare chalk and cheese it is not the same product ..

Destruction is in the game it has been shown several times in their trailer videos but has been disabled i would assume so people can accurately concentrate on bug recording and reporting .... You should assume some other features have been disabled / turned off as well as it isn't a fully released game it is only BETA

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  10. Dementia

Dementia Well-Known Member

I fully comprehend the beta status, I'm just not happy with the overall feel and the way some things (ie. beginning sniper setup) are designed. It doesn't bode well for the full version game. Other than things like that, I haven't had much in the way of bugs to report. No crashes, no freezes, only the routine issues that seem common to all FPS games, like getting stuck on a door frame instead of sliding through the door.

11. Redshirt_Ensign

Redshirt_Ensign Active Member

Yeah I actually pre-ordered it about a month back at a cheap(er) price and got the early (BC2 owner) access to beta.

Haven't played it for a week or so but I did play for a few weeks and it was exactly as described (above) ... MW2 console kinda feel, running in treacle slowness, buggy as all get out but unbelievable pretty graphics. The laughable level of vehicle support is almost exactly like playing Enemy Territory (although I did once shock the crap out of the Taliban by driving that tank off the road, down across the creek and all the way up the back of the first hill hideout ... eventually they air-striked me but it was funny) :D

I thing I should point out is about the crappy weapons ... you really need to play a bit and unlock some of the gun mods. It doesn't make them awesome but it does make them suck a lot less. However even with the better sights, the sniping is horrible. :rolleyes:

For me personally I doubt the multiplayer aspect will ever be more than an amusing diversion from serious BC2 playing. I makes for a nice brainless run-and-gun session whenever I don't feel up to the demands of competent BC2 playing.

I actually pre-ordered it for the single-player campaign (when it finally releases). I am very keen to see what kind of story/experience they come up with considering the high level of technical/creative oversight this game (supposedly) had from currently serving "Tier 1 Operators" (yes I know that is a made-up name for the full assortment of multi-force elite unit operators).

12. RapidDescent

RapidDescent Well-Known Member

Agree with the unlock comment above. Once you get some decent sights the game rolls a little better.

Some definite graphic glitches - odd ragdolls etc. My main complaint is the collision detection on very small pieces of scenery - I've lost count of the amount of times I have been stopped full sprint by a rock you could step over easily. Reported it to the Devs hope they fix it.

Sniping is my fav thing though. Its the first game I've actually been a good sniper in - you have to aim - the hit detection is very unforgiving.

13. Inflikted

Inflikted Just Joined

I also hate running full speed then Bam dead stop in the middle of the road or out in the open...then the morter attacks fall or the sniper rings your bell....fun stuff.

14. Raiden20150

Raiden20150 Just Joined

STOP

I just ran into nothing and it stopped me and got shot in the face.....