Fun with Kinect

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Basie, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

I had a voice comm system on PC that I'd trained to work quite well, back in the early 90's. That system (the name of which I can't remember now) was bought out and developed into what was known as Dragon Dictate, and further into what's now called Dragon Naturally Speaking - a voice-op system my sister now uses (she has a neuro-nervous condition that basically renders her unable to use a standard keyboard).

Xbox, locate Ensign Crusher...

2. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

It voice activation stuff worked for those aussies who had their regions set to the US or something apparently, no major issue with accent supposedly.

Wish I could talk to mine. :(

3. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry but at the moment the Kinect does not excite me. The range of games is way too limited at the moment. I'm pretty sure that will change very quickly but I'd be more inclined to wait and see.

With my Wii most games give me a choice of using either the wiimote or classic controller (notable exception is Donkey Kong Country Returns...do not understand why they did that) I'm wondering how far things will go with the Kinect...if you will still have choice. Will be interesting to see how it goes with shooter games. I forsee a whole pile of accessories to aide people who feel stupid steering using an invisible steering wheel type thing.:D

4. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

So far none of my games have a controller option (only press Y to calibrate), but for me that's fine. Kinect games are built for the hardware not just regular games with shoddy motion controls throw in.

Also in my experience my kinect is at least as accurate as my wiimotes, more so in certain
    situations.

But in this like all things YMMV

5. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

I wonder if they're intending building kinect functionality into Git Hero/Rock band - style games.

Bonus points/achievements for best air guitar style, anyone? ;)

6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

7. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss Staff Member Moderator

That would actually be really cool :D