PS4: Game Release Date - Nightmare

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Ancient_One, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

PS4 Game Releases

15 Sep - Destiny The Taken King
    23 Oct - Assassin's Creed Syndicate
    10 Nov - Fallout 4

Currently playing Elder Scrolls Online and Destiny.

Have Witcher 3 on the shelf and games I have not finished not counting all the free stuff from PS Plus.

Where in the hell do I find the time.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. RVK-KSoze

RVK-KSoze Getting Started

I've been having that issue for years. After I started my career 10 years ago and suddenly had extra income (but not extra time) I started buying a ton of games cheap. I ended up with a huge backlog of games, and new games come out every year that I have to play (but don't have time for). I understand completely. I'm finally starting to get my backlog under control , but I still have 20-30 games sitting on the shelf that haven't been touched. I need to practice better impulse control.

3. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I hear you. I rationalise that buying it at release date saves money as they compete on price but then that goes to shit when you consider it might sit on your shelf for a time. By the time you get to play the game it has probably come down in price or can be bought second hand cheaper. :?

4. RVK-KSoze

RVK-KSoze Getting Started

Exactly. A couple years ago I created some rules for myself to help me keep a handle on the backlog and most importantly save money. To buy a game new at release it has to pass certain conditions.

Important conditions for me to buy a game that catches my interest at release:
    1.) Is it important to play right after release? (i.e. Will I miss out on an active multiplayer community on a multiplayer focused game?).
    2.) Is it from a developer/publisher I want to support? (Just for example: Atlus, Nintendo, Valve, some indie studios, and certain Sony studios).

Conditions that will automatically prevent me from buying the game at release regardless of the above:
    1.) Is it from a developer/publisher I don't trust to release a stable/generally playable game? (I like Bethesda's games... but I'm waiting on Fallout 4 for a least 6 months to get the major bugs worked out).
    2.) Is it from a developer/publisher that will parse out huge chunks of the single player experience, sell it as DLC, and then within the next year release GOTY/Definitive editions for cheaper than at release? (Warner Bros. is bad for this)
    3.) Is it not recommended by trusted reviewers or sources (friends/TOGgers) with similar taste?
    4.) Final check and most important: Will I play it before the price starts dropping?

I don't buy many new games at release anymore because I started sticking to these check lists. When Black Friday sales roll around a year after a game has already been out, or there is a really good steam sale? My backlog grows... I have trouble passing up sales.