Gaming and Neighbours

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Derelict, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Sort of continuing from Ned's topic on Gaming and Relationships where you're dealing with others who are in the same place of residence, what do you do with others who are not in the same place of residence but are close to it?

I live in a unit/townhouse/duplex block of about 38 "separate" unit/duplexes. (Each unit is a duplex with 2 units and a shared wall)

Tonight I was happily playing my games - granted it was about 12:10am, I had TeamSpeak on at a nice and soft level and basically the only noise that was coming out was at a level of a conversation.

Granted, sound travels a lot further and is a lot louder at night. Anyway, here I was chatting about inconsequential things while gaming when I hear the sliding door of the neighbours open up and an angry neighbour come out to say something like,
    "Derelict, I don't know what you do in the evening but this is a sleeping area and this is a sleeping time, so whatever you are doing shut it off right now!" and promptly she went back inside and closed the door.

Of course, during the day, the noise of the surrounding roads and general other noises would have prevented the neighbour from hearing these noises eminating from my beloved PC.

But it's night time when I'm at home, and it's night time when I get a chance to play games. It's hot, so I open the windows. What am I supposed to do?

Tell the neighbour politely that what I do in my own time in my own house is not of your concern. The volume is not loud - it's the same noise level as a conversation, there's no raucous party happening in the house to keep everyone awake at night.

I also believe that council regulations has a certain limit on noise emission standards - my council area has an Airconditioning standard of between 10pm and 7am to not have greater than 40dBA of audible noise and I find it hard to believe a conversation goes beyond that level.

Fellow TOGgers, what am I to do? I don't want to give up my gaming. :(

2. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Well here in the states....take a paper bag, like what you would use to bring lunch to school. Fill it with the freshest, smelly dog crap you can find. Take it too her front door, light it on fire and ring the bell (make sure she his home). Run like hell.

Or not :twisted:

Legal Disclaimer: The ideas, thoughts, and suggestions in this thread are merly humor and not intended for actual implementation.

3. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

I have often asked my neighbours if anything I do annoys them and most times they cant hear anything coming from our house and ours is about the same distance away from the nighbours main bedroom as yours is (on the left side of your house). We also have the spa outside on the patio and they cant hear that either except for a low hum which is not distracting. The only time they have been able to hear us is when we are having a Lan, then they often get loud bursts of laughter but then again they are generally over here for a few hours anyway and now that we have sold them our old computer... well lets just say it is really good and the male of that household is currently emersing himself in BF...

Perhaps your neighbour is just a really light sleeper...If so not your problem..

Perhaps to keep the peace for a couple of days use your headset and mike for a couple of days that way only your conversation can be heard and if she bitches about that, well dont bother with her .. probably only being annoying...Yes sound travels at night with no ther distracting background noises but as it is only you talking she should not have a problem with it and certainly if she gets nasty about it, there really is nothing she can do about that...voice conversations fall way under the councils audible levels...and the police will just drive by, get out of their car have a listen and leave...so no problem there.

This is a hobby that we all enjoy and it is sad that we do cop a fair bit of shite over it occassionally, but this is a bit on the silly side... If she cant sleep, it really isnt your problem. On saying that you are the one who has to live there.

4. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I still like the smelly bag of burning dog poop. :twisted:

5. Zlipzlop

Zlipzlop Active Member

Hey Smashkin, this is the bit which proves you are from the States! :wink: :)

Derelict

I'm not sure that it's your problem, when you get down to it. If things are as you say, i.e. at the level of conversation, then if it's bothering her it's up to her to close her doors and windows. I hate this sort of stuff too but I don't think you should give in - I agree with Vamp, she's probably a light sleeper.

6. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Well, you know the troubles I've had with MY neighbours Der0.

Often we would be woken up by loud music at 3 in the morning etc, however at other times the piece of trash would be talking on the phone outside early morning (ie. 3am) or just sitting out in their back pergola chatting away (no music). Now that stuff has kept both my wife and myself awake on many occasions ... now maybe if they hadn't pissed us off in the past with their overtly foul language, loud music and general trashy behaviour then the sound of them talking may not have been a problem. However, it is now at a point where anything they do pisses us off. :roll:

Anyhoo, getting back to your point, the thing I have noticed is that whilst our study is at the complete opposite end of the house to the main bedroom, my wife often will be kept awake if I am talking on TS (headset/mike). I feel that I am talking quietly, however I mustn't be that quiet if my wife can hear me. This is generally why I just use in-game chat's at this time of night. If however, I really want/need to be on TS at that time, then I close the door and basically talk in a conscious whisper.

I must say that I think my wife and I have become overly sensitive to noise since these latest neighbours moved in (we never had troubles with previous tenant for 3 yrs) but nonetheless I can say that noise can be most disruptive and have a huge impact on one's life.

Whilst I am not necessarily defending your neighbour .... I can probably understand her situation, light sleeper or not. My suggestion would be to at least close windows at that time (I keep my windows closed not to let noise out but to try and prevent the next door's noise coming in ... to little avail though :roll: ). It would probably be good to do a little test yourself too and get someone to talk on TS with your headset/mike etc while you go outside and see how loud it actually sounds ... you might be surprised.

Anyhoo, that's just my 2 cents but you know the full history of my neighbours and me ... I've always bitched about it. :roll: But at the end of the day I think it would pay to keep the peace and even have a chat with you neighbour to try and work it out ... unless they themselves are complete trash in which case frig them. :twisted:

7. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Similar scenario at my house, Bennett. Once missus goes to bed, then I will not be saying much on TS. During a game, she also shuts the door to the other end of the house so I don't wake the kid. "Do you know how loud you are when you are on that thing?".

And she's right. As I have headphones on, I have plane engines throbbing in my ears, tanks shells blasting, gunfire all around and B17 bombs going off and the excitement of battle. It's no wonder I end up getting loud. Same deal if you are listening to a walkman/discman things - you think you are talking quietly, but you have to speak louder so even you can hear what you are saying.

Like everyone else, I'm not defending your neighbour(s) - but worth just checking that it isn't you shouting. :)

As a side note, my missus says that it's exceptionally annoying speech... she can't hear everything that's going on in game and on TS... so to her I'm all quiet for a few minutes and she gets all relaxed, then I suddenly yell out "TANK BEHIND WINDMILL!" or something, which makes her jump out of her seat.

8. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Same thing with neighbours - not defending but worthwhile thinking about the possibility that it IS you ;) Do you have your windows open in your office their Der0? I've had neighbours chatting outside their front door (which happens to be directly outside our bedroom window) in the middle of the night who I've had to tell to piss off and go inside. Only had to ask once and they complied immediately.

My wife (if she's awake when I play which is fairly rare) just laughs when she hears me on TS. She says all she can hear is me shouting out about an incoming tank, swearing about getting shot or pissing meself laughing at something that someone (usually either Rickety or Scope) has said.

9. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Well im my case luckly I live in the middle of FREAKIN nowwhere so I dont really have this issue. But I know that from past experiences this can be very frustrating :twisted: I really like Smash's idea nothing like the smell of burning dog phoop in the morning, stuck to your shoe, burning, flailing around your front porch cursing :lol: but thats just me!! --------Inite----------

10. Gazz

Gazz Active Member

Derelict,

The law in Queensland regarding noise complaints are delt with by the police. What happens is someone makes a noise complaint. The police attend and IF they judge that the noise is excessive they direct the person making the noise to turn it off for a period of time (often 12 hours). If there is a second complaint within that period the police come back and if the noise is again excessive they confiscate the equipment making the noise.

How noise is measured is subjective, there is no Dba level. As you mentioned what is acceptable noise in the day time may not be acceptable at night.

However a Body Corporate might have different ideas so maybe an enquiry with them might also be an idea.

While you have a responsibility to keep the noise down you shouldn't have to give up. Compromise is always better than conflict in these type of things. Maybe she will keep her windows shut if you shut your? Quiet conversation will almost always be tolerated ... tanks behind windmills are not.

11. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I'm so glad here in Texas we just resolve these issues with shotguns. No need for cops or confiscation of equipment. He with the most ammo wins! :twisted:

12. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

ROFL @ Smashkin1 :D

As I am typing up this message, the freaking gardener is using the hedge trimmer just outside my bedroom window, and yes I was sleeping at the time :evil: :evil: :evil: What is the point of staying at home if I cant sleep in later than 9am :twisted:

13. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

ROFL
    Sorry, Derelict has picked on me for NOT using Teamspeak :mrgreen:

Its great to live on a property with gaps between houses :lol:

I'd say your in a game and oblivous to whats around you. Your neighbour is a light sleeper, and can hear you clear enough to make out words, and is finding that annoying and probably on top of what Ghostdog said, even more annoying that its only 'half' of a conversation.

For a person that may go to sleep at 9:30 or something, then put up with your voice for a couple of hours, I can see how they might get angry ;) :mrgreen:
    Shut the window, you have one on the other side, and perhaps reposition your computer, if your voice isn't right next to the window (which I believe it is) and directed more away from it, then possibly it'd be directed at another neighbour.

Apologise to your neighbour for the recent noise, inform em that your a late night gamer and that you've repositioned things as best you could. If complaints continue after that and you really think there is nothing more you can do then go the hostile path, show em your setup, ask them what can be done, if they say close the window meet em half way, I'll half close mine if you.... etc etc.

14. Quant

Quant Active Member

Buy an air conditioner and shut the window. :lol:

Although that can be worse. When I used to travel I was always sleep deprived because the damn airconditioner or street traffic or water pipes clanging in the hotel rooms at night.

15. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Our neighbours were playing a guitar from about 3:30am to 5am about 3 weeks ago ... called the cops and they just drove past ... apparently THAT noise wasn't bad enough. :roll:

Anyway, I rang them up and gave em a serving so they sent another car out ... by the time they got there they'd stopped. :x

Rang the cops again and just had a chat and they told me that it certainly doesn't matter what time of day the noise is being made, if it's impacting you then it is prohibited ... they keep telling me that peace and quiet is a right NOT a privilege. Shame the guys on the beat don't seem to agree. :roll: </gripe>

LMAO!! Hey, if only I had one get-out-of-jail-free card I'd be using it on my neighbours. :twisted:

It was our neighbours in fact (due to their loud noise) that prompted us to get off our arses and buy a small (111 acres :p) block of land. Of course, I don't think I can get broadband there so that's a bit of a bummer and it's about 45' from work everyday (currently only 10'). So whilst we aren't actually living there yet it is comforting to know we have our own little piece of paradise. All in all, I think having these pricks next to us was a blessing in (a very ugly) disguise. :p

16. Sethanu

Sethanu Getting Started

The easiest solution that I can think of is:

"Tell her to get a boyfriend"

Then she shouldn't be worrying about your noise at midnight, but hers. Maybe then you can complain about her, or just set up TS and let all on BF1942 have a listen, let me know if you set it up, I'll start playing BF1942

Or there's always the paper bag and doggie doodoo

Let us know how you make out.

Another idea, offer yourself as a "boyfriend" then if she says you are making too much noise, you can tell her where to go.

Regards

CB

17. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Invite smashkin over for a weekend! :twisted:

18. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Getting Started

The sound of a .30/06 commands such a lovely silence. unfortunately its broken about 10 minutes later by sirens

19. your_Mother

your_Mother Getting Started

Pseudo - love the avatar!

your Mother.

20. ledge

ledge Getting Started

Careful, she might be a lesbian... :)