Gaming and Neighbours

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Derelict, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

hehe, I just copy n pasted some of this to TLO (The loved One).
    What storm?

And now I know why she says that I speak too loudly on "that damn computer". It's noisy in my pilot seat, I have to shout over the engines and gun fire. But also, yelling out at the top of my voice: "Hugo, watch out, he's got a gun!" is probably disturbing TLO and the young ones.

Neighbours all know I play "computer games" but the noise doesn't seem to bother them (I use headphones anyway). Nah, noise isn't the problem, but me sneaking along walls and bunny hopping across the drive unsettles them.

2. Belta

Belta Active Member

:roll: I'm glad I live in Australia...

Anybody seen "Bowling for Columbine" :?

8O AHHHHHHH

ROTFLMAO @ Pseudo's AVATAR 2 !!!! :lol:

3. Hugo a gogo

Hugo a gogo Well-Known Member

I have 2 doors to my study which are left open while I game, straight after a war when I shut down and try and exit the room I find someone has closed the doors on me, suddenly I know why I started to exceed my operating temperature, what started out as an airy cool room has turned into a sauna :(

As soon as I make my escape from the study I get "Do you know how loud you are on that damn thing" sound familiar?

4. Jello63

Jello63 Well-Known Member

Jervis Bay N.S.W: TOG Sponsor: XFire-jello63. Fox'
    We,re lucky, living on the south coast :D , having a large building block we have plenty of space between us & the neighbours. As for noisey neighbours, come on people we were all young once & LOUD!!!! We are older gamers & not cranky old farts! But I will say if it is at some ungodly hour I go & have words. Some weekends though we play lots of music & play it loud & have not once had & complaint & this applies to any parties as well, in which case we do turn the music down after 11pm in repect of the cranky old farts.

5. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

A lot of ideas and tips. :)

But here's an update.

Tonight, it was about 11pm, and the husband comes out this time. In a much more civil and polite way, he goes:

"Derelict, you are going to have to reconsider your schedule. Your constant chatter and light is disturbing my sleep. I get up early, so I tend to go to bed at an early hour. You'll probably have to change your curtains as well."

I took that from the husband in a much better way as it was very civil. I went and closed the windows and pulled down the volume a tad as well.

But now they're wanting to dictate when I want to and can play games? They're also telling me that I need to change my curtains in order for them to have no light filtering through into their bedroom??? 8O

Windows, yes, fine, I'll close them.

But I draw the line at changing my gaming pattern, and I also will draw the line at them telling me I need to spend money to get different curtains! :evil:

Aah well, I'll let them level a complaint to the Body Corporate Management on me then. :twisted:

6. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I would think if light was coming in through their window, that would be their problem. If my neighbor had a light that shined in my place, I would cover MY window...kinda logical if you ask me.

These people sound like morinic @$$ holes, that or your being really lound and annoying LOL. Since I'm not there I don't know which is which hehe. I know I'm really lound and annoying but my neighbors can't hear me :twisted: And if they did, they know I have a shotgun :twisted:

7. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

I think I might go live in Texas. :twisted:

Yeah, the light issue can be resolved by your neighbours having better curtains. Previous neighbours of our used to have the light on all night and while it was a little annoying WE could've put better blinds up but wear to frugal to do so. Of course, we now have decent timber blinds that not only look good but keep out the light as well.

I really don't think you need to change the times you play your games Derelict. As long as you aren't making too much noise (I assume you ARE using headphones, right?) then I can't see there being any reason why you should stop.

The only thing I could see being a problem is the talking on TS as discussed before, considering you live in close proximity to others. So worse come to worse you may have to re-adjust your TeamSpeak technique ;) but other than that there should be NO reason for you to stop playing your games or rescheduling. :)

8. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Yup, lighting is their problem. Unless I suppose both parties lights disturb the other, in which it'd be a joint problem best fixed up with a higher fence or something. They're probably just being picky now though.

This could be normal 'talk' for a person in your situation, where your house is half divided and people live in close quarters. Each tennant tries to pass onto the other all the work to fix something.

Though as for the body corporate, I'd consider the fuel they are going there with. If its speaking loudly at the back of your house with your lights on, sometimes having loud sound, and doing gaming stuff... till 12-1 at night...
    Put aside your rights, I'd say they are going to make you conform to the rest of the tennants.
    And if they can't do that, well then, looks like you may have neighbour wars... which will be interesting to listen too.

*edit : just for info, how far IS their bedroom. My understanding its a mirror of your side of the house, big wooden fence inbetween.

9. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Yep. Neighbour's side is a mirror of my side.

What I'm going to do is to move the desk to the other side of the room to give it another 4 or so metres from myself to that window. I'll leave that window closed. I think that's as far as I am going to go in this matter.

I bet they'll continue to complain though.

Funny though these neighbours seemed quite pleasant when I first moved in.... :eek:

Now I know. Husband is quite polite and pleasant, wife isn't. :p

10. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Isn't that how it usualy is? Unless the wife's got the hots for ya that is LOL.

(just kidding ladies) :twisted:

11. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

well Derelict, I think that what you have proposed to do is just fine..

move the desk, adjust your TS, close the window and let them worry about light coming into their bedroom..

they are just being $#%holes now so you have done your bit and let them whinge all they like...

LOL @ Smashkin....
    we keep our guns locked in a safe in our gun club so they DONT get used!! :twisted:

12. Wayfarer

As valid as any internet chat/forum advice goes...imho, your neighbours, Dero, have an argument against noise (no matter how loud...it's still the annoying factor) but none on the light! The light is their problem, tell then to install blinds!

While you’re a reasonable person your can't be expected to go to bed when your neighbours do, can you? So my advice is to say to them "These are the concessions I am making to help you: moved desk, turned down sound, wearing headphones and closed window, but you have to sort through your light problem by having adequate blinds/curtains on your window and be prepared to keep your window closed too!"

Living close to each other is a comprimise; people have to give and take equally.

Shotguns are no real long term solution….eventually the police will find the bones.

13. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

Sound intensity reduces proportional to the square of the listener's distance from the sound source.

[​IMG]
    where:
    Lp1= Sound pressure level in decibels at location 1.
    Lp2= Sound pressure level in decibels at location 2
    R1 = Distance from noise source to point 1
    R2 = Distance from noise source to point 2

In other words, say your neighbours are currently 4 metres away from you (point 1), and you're talking at a normal conversational level (around 60dB). Move your PC another 4 metres further away (to point 2) and you get

Lp2 = 60dB - 20log(8 / 4) = 60 - 6 = 54dB

Every 3dB drop in sound intensity is a reduction by half. You'll drop 6dB in this example (halve it, and halve the result).

So.... your neighbours will hear only 25% of your former volume (a rough estimate, because we're not taking into account the walls, windows and other obstacles in the way...)

So, Dero, your plan to move to the other side of the room will help alot.
    The other 'good thing' is facing the other way. Your voice has to diffract around more corners and reflect off more walls then, to get to your neighbours.

For GD and the others talking about internal noise between the 'gaming zone' and The Loved Ones, I've had huge success with the self-adhesive polyeurethane foam strip you can buy from most hardware shops.

About 10mm by 8mm in section, you stick it around the sides and top of your door frames where needed, such that the door closes against it, compressing and sealing. (On the hinge side, just make sure that you stick it to the other face of the door frame so that the 'thin edge' of the door compresses it as it closes.)

For the door-to-floor gap, a daggy old 'snake' works a treat, also found at hardware stores. I actually used self-sealing aluminium/rubber strip sealers which force themselves mechanically to the floor at the instant the door closes.

Why did I do all this? The room where the PC is also houses a (cheap but effective) home cinema system, one electric guitar and small amp, one accoustic guitar, one piano, and one cello. (For example, a very low volume issues outside the room, with the home cinema system cranking....)

Happy to advise if anyone wants more info.

Cheers,

[D.I.Y.] ScopE

14. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

Thanks Scope, there are alot of handy hints in there :)

15. HellDad

HellDad Well-Known Member

Scope's math looks accurate to me, but be wary of the subjective volume change represented by 6db. A power change of about -10 db (one tenth) is required for a subjective reduction to half volume. A power change of -3db (half the power) is detectable by human ears as only a small volume reduction. Another thing to allow for; I don't think you can use the total distance between Dero's mouth and neighbour's ear in that calculation. If most of what they hear is coming from Dero's window, then the window is the source from their point of view, and includes all reflections etc from inside Dero's room. So moving the sound source to the other side of the room and facing in the other direction could result in a greater reduction than Scope's calcs indicate, eg; your distance from the window might be 4 metres instead of 1. Another way of reducing the sound level in the room (and consequently the level leaking out) is to ensure the room isn't too "live" - if you have lots of hard surfaces there will be reflections and resonances. These can be reduced by rugs or carpet on the floor and soft wall hangings and/or heavy curtains (also cuting the light leakage :)).
    Sorry about the rave, I do go on a bit, but I reckon you can't do much better than you've already suggested. As to complaining about the light being on - that's just ridiculous, no matter how politely requested.

16. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Mommie I'm scared :twisted:

17. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

To my way of thinking Dero, your neighbours are mainly just being pricks about it. I lived for a while in a block of six townhouses, arranged basicaly in a circle. We all understood that there would be a certain amount of noise leakage at certain times and at different volumes so therefore made no fuss about a bit of noise late at night or early morning. It's one of the hassles you get when you live in that type of house.

I can't remember if you ever said whether your place was occupied or not before you bought it but from what it sounds like is that there either wasn't anyone living there for a long time or if there was they spent most of the day out of the house, thereby giving your neighbours a false sense of quietness.

Ubfortunately there's not that much more you can do than what you have already....nor should you have to. You've made changes to limit the volume coming from your side in regards to TS, as for the light issue, if they think it's that annoying they should be the one to get new curtains and/or blinds, or pay for the ones they expect you to go out and get :wink:

Alternetively, I could start coming round every night and sit outside your place and rev the crap out of the bike at about 1am for 30mins or so. I guarantee they'll stop complaining about the volume of your voice then :) ( /me goes downstairs to take the muffler of the bike in preparation :twisted: )

18. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

You're right, HellDad.
    My scary techno-rant is really rough, but hopefully just indicates the non-linear relationship of sound to distance. I was just amazed at home how some cheap purchases at a hardware store really improved how we use our home. It was quite rewarding. Doesn't help you particularly Dero, but I reckon you're doing the quickest, cheapest and best improvements simply by re-arranging your room a little. Have you tried a fur-lined paper bag over your head and headset, with little cut-outs for the eyes?

:lol: @ Smash

19. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

It's been suggested Scope - but not for the purpose of keeping the noise down, if you know what I mean.. ;)

:lol:

20. Wayfarer

may be he can use some of FOX's fur?