Gaming and Neighbours

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Derelict, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Renegade

Renegade Retired Captain

I'm glad you clarified your ideas ScopE. I thought you were going to tape foam over all your families' ears. 8O

2. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Aah... the live in harmony with your neighbours bit. :)

The neighbour came over just then so he could have a quick talk to me.

I told him that it was a surprise to me that it's taken this long (I've been here since April) for them to have said anything to me regarding the noise and the light. And also a bit of a shock that I was told what I could and couldn't do by his wife on Monday night.

My computer room is the mirror of their bedroom, therefore the window I was sitting at, is directly opposite their window. There's a space of a little over 6m between the two windows separated by a fence.

I've told him that I've moved the computer to the far side of the room and will leave the window closed. That's all I can do, and that's all I will do.

He then told me that my curtains don't actually block out the light (I know this - this is the effect I like in the computer room) and the glow of the light in fact shines almost directly at them. He then proceeded to tell me that as they are renters, they have to make do with the curtains that they have, and the curtains they have don't entirely cover the full window.

He's trying to push the fact that I should get curtains with rubber backing so that it can entirely block out the light. Who's going to pay for them? Well, since he didn't offer anything relating to that, I'm thinking he wants me to pay for new curtains, and that's not going to happen. I've told him that I can't afford new curtains.

I've now told him:
    - I've moved the PC
    - I'll keep the window closed
    - The PC is my relaxation
    - I need a light to use my PC
    - I won't be getting new curtains

Why do I get the feeling that he's going to continue pushing the "light is a disturbance" issue? :(

3. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

You've done your little bit Der0 the rest is up to them. As for their excuse about renting ... frig that!! They can still buy their own bloody curtains or get the landlord to.

Just outta interest, are these units two bedroom? If worse come to worse can't they move into the other bedroom?

4. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

:lol: , Renegade. You have a very efficient alternative there!

5. Renegade

Renegade Retired Captain

Maybe we could sell some of the foam to Dero's neighbours to put over their eyes. At lease as they are renting, they can take it with them when they leave.

Just trying to be helpful. :wink:

Seroiusly though, I think you have done as much as any reasonable person would be expected to do and if i was your neighbour i would be thankful that you have at least attempted to meet them half way.

That being said, i have a spare 1500 Watt flood light sitting at home doing very little. How would that look shining thru your curtains. Maybe you could also put on a little shadow-puppet show for them :twisted:

6. Derelict

Now if you had come along to my place when I invited you to them weeks ago, you would have seen and realised that my place (as is theirs) is in fact three bedrooms.

So yes, they can move to another bedroom, but considering what they've "asked" me to do already... do you seriously believe they will do anything of the sort?

ROFL Renegade!
    You know - I've got a spare power point sitting directly next to that window... how much does it cost to parcel post a 1500 Watt flood light and light fitting up to Brisbane? ;) I reckon I could put up with the big bright light at my right hand side for a few nights while I play some games. :twisted:

7. Aramar

Aramar Active Member

Hey Dero, I've got a great Idea
    next LAN we have over your house, show them what noise is really about
    LOL 8) :twisted:

8. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

Roger that.. NO headsets... Volume on max!!! :twisted: :lol:

9. Jello63

Jello63 Well-Known Member

Jervis Bay N.S.W: TOG Sponsor: XFire-jello63. Fox'
    Lan @ Dero's house & all turn up on Harley's :lol:

10. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Pffft, I'll stick with my Ninja 8)

11. Jello63

mmmmmmmmm...........Ninja .......nice.......bike Cailith. I only said Harleys for the noise.

12. Southn_Comfort

Southn_Comfort Well-Known Member

:lol: X 2 @ Smash

Maybe if you tried Scope's suggestion, make some noise so the neigbours look over, maybe be seen sharpening your (favourite ?) hatchet at the time, in front of a burning upside down cross, beside the picture on the wall of freddy kruger on jason vorhees with little pink love hearts all over it ....

Im sure he wouldn't come over and bother you again ... maybe he'll even move out !

13. Derelict

Yet another update.

This time the wife comes over, raps on my door and wants to have a few words with me.

She goes on to apologise for her tone that night blaming the time or whatever. (To me, time of the night is not significant - at any stage when dealing with people who do not deserve to be spoken to rudely, you should still be very polite)

Anyway, she goes on to say that now that I've moved the desk and closed the window the sound has dropped significantly. However, not that I don't like your lovely drapes, but when you're no longer strapped for cash, I'd ask that you consider getting something equally as nice that will provide light blockout. I've done what I can - putting in some light blockouts, but as we're renters we can't damage the wooden frames to mount anything else up.

They're still on about the light! :evil:

Odd thing that irks me? Well, a couple of nights ago I went outside to move the sprinkler on the lawn and she must have heard me open the door (jeesh I can be loud sometimes! ;)) and she opened the curtain a fraction to spy on me - the bedroom light was on. And from what she told me - I saw nothing in terms of light blockouts!

Guess what! I don't think I'll ever be financial enough to replace my curtains! :lol:

14. Jello63

Dero, you've done your bit, stick to your guns mate & screw the wallies next door. :lol:

15. Renegade

Renegade Retired Captain

You're allowed to water your lawn! 8O Overlord Steve Bracks hasn't allowed us to do that for months.

So it doesn't appear to be money on their part, but being scared to damage the walls by putting up heavier curtains.

It lookas though taking an amicable approach may have done the trick at this stage, and it may all blow over.

Although some of the other options sounded like a great deal more fun :twisted:

16. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

I am still thinking incredibliy loud lan sounds the go!

17. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

ROFL....I like Vamp's idea.....LAN AT DERO'S PLACE! MUAHAHAHHAHA!

18. Aramar

Aramar Active Member

good on ya Dero, stick to your guns mate!!

19. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I'm still stunned that he has the light on in his computer room!

It isn't so much that the neighbours want the light off, its that Dero wants it ON! 8O 8O 8O

20. Derelict

Why is it so surprising? I actually step out of the office during the course of the day and get a bit of sunlight and have the UV rays of the sun convert some of the cholesterol under my skin into Vitamin D. Not everyone survives off a monitor tan. The face of IT is no longer that of an uber-geek with their face a healthy glow as the result of a monitor-tan...

Also, not everyone stores their computer in a cupboard like you mate. ;)