Global Agenda on Steam

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by bochaba, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bochaba

bochaba Well-Known Member

Anyone else looking at this?

Reminds me of Planetside which I really enjoyed. They are looking at Oceanic servers but not for release. Has co-op 4 player PvE as well as the PvP.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Yea man I have been following this for a bit ... signed up for possible beta but it looks like they might only be giving that out the pre purchases now :( ... nothing really jumps out as far as bonus items for the pre purchase, but having said that I am interested in the gameplay.

Nearly gave in lastnight to Fallen Earth to have a look but with GA release not to far off I might hold out a little longer.

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

4. yules

yules Getting Started

Very tempted.
    Just worried about ping for Australian players, it's quite important for shooting :confused:

5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

They've said their running servers at their site, but I'm not sure if thats just for the campaign (subscription side) or also the multiplayer (no subscription required). If its dedicated server setups for that, it won't be a problem. But I'm just not sure either way. :(

6. bochaba

Its all US/UK based from what Ive seen at the moment but they are keeping their options open for an oceanic shard depending on demand.

From what Ive seen a portion of PvE and PvP is subscription free but all the territory control and persistent content is subscription driven.

7. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

It a bit of a chicken and the egg conundrum (or smokescreen to avoid Oceanic support if you're a skeptic) - the demand won't be there if the servers aren't.

8. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I tried some other free-to-play MMOFPS with "oceanic" servers and the lag was still horrible.

If you're designing game-play were the action is tight and fast like a shooter and the focus is on multiplayer competition you need to get the servers as close to the players as possible or it's just going to fail. There's simply no way around that without blunting the one aspect of gameplay that makes the shooter genre work in the first place.

9. bochaba

I found planetside was quite playable even with US servers. I think at least some of the hit detection was client side in that game which helped balance the field for high pingers. It could be annoying for people to get shot behind cover because of latency, but overall it was fair.

Im going to give this one a go because two of my all time favourite games were Tribes and Planetside. Even if this one doesnt quite hit the mark, I'll pay for the effort. Subscription will depend on the final product.

10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I really want to get in the beta so we can test what sort of pings and how it plays, really looking forward to this so I don't want to axe it before I give it a go. ;)

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

PS - Here's a FAQ Link about Global Agenda, Steam, and the beta access.

rn_iconwr

12. Salgurdar

Salgurdar Active Member

Text Removed.. PM sent to Salgurdar.

All I talked about were the times the beta servers were up, and that was public knowledge posted on the GA forums.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  13. bochaba

Well Ive played around with this on the beta test for a few days and I dont think Ill log on again.

It isnt anything like planetside, all combat is 10 v 10 or something like that side.
    It isnt anything like tribes, the jetpacks are ok but the TF2 scout feels more mobile than GA guys, even with jetpacks.

The graphics are ok but the mission levels are rather bland and uninteresting. Nothing like the interest of a good TF2 or L4D level.

The classes are reasonably interesting but need a lot of balance work, Being a beta this is acceptable. However, the skill trees and "upgrades" just make it rough for casuals and even in beta it was clearly becoming an epeen fest.

In conclusion, I just cant think of a reason to play this as a 10v10 pvp game when the likes of l4d2 and TF2 exist without latency or grind. They are prettier, more polished and have much tighter gameplay. Alas, I still wait for the spiritual successor of Planetside.

Id recommend avoiding this game. If you really like the setting Id suggest Battlefield 2142 is a better implementation of futuristic combat.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Drac likes this.
  14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Yup, tried it and agree 100% with the above.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yes, they took out everything I hated about FPS games and made something I'm thoroughly enjoying. ;)

16. bonds0097

bonds0097 Getting Started

I'm a big fan of both the graphics and art style. Some of the armors look very cool. I love that the game is a TPS rather than an FPS, I like being able to see my avatar.

The classes are interesting and very different. They're also considered quite balanced by most beta-testers. For every strategy there is a counter and in the end, the emphasis is on teamwork and strategery rather than one-man heroics.

I'm not a big FPS fan, though I do play them to some extent (and have been playing them Wolfenstein 3D days), but I love GA. I like the character progression, the variety in classes and most of all, the need for teamwork. I made some friends my first day in Beta and as a 4-man team we have a real blast in PVE, which to me is way more fun than any WOW dungeon.

I suppose the big difference between me and some of the people who don't like this game so much is that I don't fault it for not being FPS enough and I don't fault it for not being MMORPG enough. I approach it expecting and wanting a hybrid game and that is what it offers.

Also there's been little mention of AVA, which gives the game significantly more depth and adds an EVE-like layer of Political Intrigue and MMO-Drama. I'm definitely looking forward to being part of a good Alliance and taking part in this aspect of the game.

The game definitely isn't for everyone though. I spend quite a lot of time in the forums and by far the most common complaints are 'Skill doesn't matter enough, this game isn't enough like Counter-Strike/Other FPS' or 'There isn't enough loot and progression, this game isn't enough like WOW/Other MMORPG's'. As I alluded to earlier, if you're looking for a new FPS or MMORPG to play, then you're better off elsewhere. If you're looking for something new and pretty different that blends elements of both, GA might fit the bill.

Oh, one more thing: the dev's in this game are incredibly responsive. Their forum participation is leaps and bounds beyond anything I've seen in a game before. They also have a sense of humor, are open to feedback and acknowledge when a lot of players are unhappy with a particular aspect and work to fix it. Regardless of any other aspect, I find this particularly refreshing and gives me high hopes for the game's future, particularly since the lead designer funded the game himself so he has a much bigger stake in than say Jon Smedley does in SWG.

Sorry for the wall-of-text and particularly if I come off as a fanboi. I don't really mean to but I'm very enthusiastic about this game. I'd be happy to point out some flaws to, but not in this post.

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Woot NDA raised. Soon as Father OK's the use of TOG logo's on my footage, I'll start uploading to youtube. I started off with just looks at the various classes in PvE (because pvp can be a bit hectic and not really show off what they can do). I'll put up some PvP footage later.

18. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Seems like a good game for those who like that kinda stuff, but it's going to be a hard sell for some. Different it may be, but if it walks like a shooter, looks and sounds like a shooter but doesn't feel or play like a shooter I can see a fair few people just not moving past that speedbump.

This was the biggest problem with Stormrise as well IMO (aside form the bugs), it looked and controlled a bit like an action game, but it wasn't an action game it all, it was very much strategy those who "clicked" with that loved it, but the majority didn't and as a result they just got frustrated or bored or both. Once either of those set in it's pretty much impossible to like a game.

19. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I think the important thing is going to be heading into the game with an understanding of what it is and isn't, that way you can better appreciate what HiRez have done with it (which is outstanding for an indy studio with no publisher!). Hopefully my article will be able to help people figure it out. Its almost finished and I'm putting the finishing touches on the video's before uploading them to youtube.

20. Mesar

Mesar Retired Captain

Looking forward to the article Reoh. I find the game intriguing but I'm waiting on the positive experiences, particularly from people I like to game with.

Mez