Good flight sim

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by BakerNator, Dec 26, 2005.

1. BakerNator

BakerNator Well-Known Member

anyone know a good, modern day,military flight sim?

2. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

Lock-On is pretty good, but it must chew some juice, 'cos it shuts my machine down after about 1/2 hour playing, after screaming out "Damn, it's hot in here!"

3. Dars183

Dars183 Retired Moderator

I'd forgotten that your were one of those square chinned good looking flight boys Baker :p :)

Hope your well and HNY to you and Mrs Baker :)

Cheers

4. ouROBOros

ouROBOros Well-Known Member

5. BakerNator

thanks guys!

6. BakerNator

Has anyone played this?? Bloody hell, the manual is 716 pages long! It is very involved and complicated. BRING BACK FROGGER!!!

7. Triton6

Triton6 Active Member

Falcon 4? I bought when it originally came out in 1998, but never got that much into it. The manual was just as thick then. lol From what I've read, the guys that put Allied Force together did a great job.

Lock On: Modern Combat is just as in-depth, but damn its pretty. The graphics are very nice.

I still play Jane's F-18, but it's in-depth too. Found some mods that breathed new life into it for me. There are a couple of sims I want to try out: Wings over Vietnam and Strike Fighers. Both look very interesting and don't appear to require 3 weeks of flight school to get to fun parts (blowing $h!t up). :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  8. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

My colour printer at work got a work out printing it all out.

Rest assured the bulk of that stuff is Encyclopaedia material just so you know not to shoot down that Sukhoi over Yugoslavia as he is a friendly or to know which airport to fly to and which direction to line up for the runway landing too!

Although you still need to know more than where your stick or rudder is located in your cockpit. ;)

9. Kaindii

Kaindii Active Member

Falcon 4 is good - but hard work.

I recall playing it with my father in law. He was flying, and I was reading the manual and telling him what to do. After half a dozen goes we managed to find and engage another fighter and shoot it down, all outside visual range, and only realized we'd got a kill after we got back to base (I think we lost the landing gear in the "landing"). All up a success, but it was clear that we needed to spend a few says of intensive study to get close to it being good.

After a while we discovered the guns, and somehow put the enemy figthers into "stupid" mode, and shot a couple down. That was a lot better fun, but probably lost some realism :).

10. cremator

cremator Getting Started

Ive got falcon 4 but havent tried it yet! I will give it a go and post in with what I think:)

11. Triton6

Triton6 Active Member

Do you have the original Falcon 4 or the re-released Falcon 4: Allied Force? If you have Allied Force, let me know how the updated graphics look.

12. B B

B B Active Member

Q.L.D. Australia beautifull one day , perfect the
    LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK CREM AS IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD FLIGHT GAME TO USE MY X52 ON

13. Triton6

Triton6 Active Member

If you're looking for a hardcore in-depth flight sim, go with Falcon 4 or Lock On: Modern Air Combat. The one thing that keeps me from buying Lock On Gold version is the fact that is uses Starforce copy protection. Starforce, imo, is completely destructive to computers. Here is some info taken from this article :"the Starforce drivers, installed on your system, grant ring 0 (system level) privileges to any code under the ring 3 (user level) privileges. Thus, any virus or trojan can get OS privileges and totally control your system. " & "The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes."

I do not purchase any software with Starforce protection. Here's a link of games that use it. http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html

If you want a more casual flight sim, look into Project Strike Strike Fighters or Wings Over Vietnam.

14. Triton6

Triton6 Active Member

Just read about this 3rd party update to Jane's F-18. I bought this game when it originally came out in 1999 and it is one of the best flight sims IMO. The game could probably be easily scored on Ebay for cheap. Here's a thread previewing the upcoming update.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=009627

/edit
    The above thread just talks about the upgrade. Here's the link with some screenies:
    http://tsh.war-fighters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7871#7871