GP2X

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Rog69, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Anyone elso own one of these? It's a retrogamers dream. For the uninitiated its a handheld portable gaming/media player that runs on linux. The bulk of the software available for it consists of ports of classic games that have had their source code released and emulators. I bought one last year and it is just superb, I have a 4gig SD card full of stuff like Mame, ScummVM, and emulators for Nes, Snes, Amiga, Megadrive and a ton of classic games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3d and Nethack. There is a very active community surrounding it with a lot of homebrew games too. The best thing it that with the exception of a couple of comercial games, everything is free (although you might need files from some of the original games).
    The unit itself ships with full development tools so anyone is free to develop for it.
    GP2X.co.uk official site - Buy the GP2X Linux console

2. zero

zero Active Member

3. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

Yeah, I saw them advertised in the back of an issue of Retro Gamer last year. Looks very tempting, the only real bonus for me tho would be to make it handheld. The Xbox does all the same things just as easily for me atm but being able to take it on the move would be a definite plus.

4. Wiz_74

Wiz_74 Retired Journalist & Advisor

no but I have about 50GB of roms for my Mame emulator :)

5. Gaara

Gaara Active Member

So do I, thats why I have casemodded my xbox and loaded in 2x300 gig drives :D

6. my_right_buttock

my_right_buttock Well-Known Member

I have a firmware modded PSP, considering I don't really play games on it I wish I got one of these. Bit of a bigger homebrew community for this with all the tools they provide for it.