H1Z1 SOE

Discussion in 'Free to Shoot' started by cowkiller, Jan 1, 2015.

1. roob

roob Retired Captain

This is an alpha form of a game and I think for those that are still on the fence and trying to decide if they want to buy it or not, then I think unless you have played in an alpha stage of development before then I would pass for at least 1-2 months.

The misinformation regarding how P2W H1Z1 is just makes me laugh. If you're going off what is streamed and haven't spent at least a little bit in game to know otherwise, then perhaps one should reconsider in posting silly comments on how game breaking these airdrop items are.

Weapons, food, medical aid can all be gained by anyone that has played and explored even a little bit.

The air drops are not game breaking. Anyone that has played a bit to know what the item, durability, crafting and loot spawn systems are like in this current "alpha" version would know that all these negative P2W posts are just rants about how the sky is falling.

I played around 6-8 hours today with only 1 boot to desktop and a couple of lag hitches. This considering I'm playing outside my region is pretty good compared to some other beta games I have tested.
    It surprised me that SOE have a ton of servers as well and a variety of rule sets to pick from.

I had a good time with a couple of other TOG getting to know the game and the crafting system and i'll probably put many more hours of play into it over the weekend.

We have been in the general channel of the FPS section in TS if anyone is playing and wants someone to chat with or just to pick our brains about recipes ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. RESistivism

RESistivism Just Joined

Server issues aside,I think what pissed most people off is that the devs were doing interviews even 3 days before launch saying that under no circumstances would there be weapon drops in the game.
    "There's no way you can get ammo.. any other way.. you can't buy ammo, you can't buy guns. You can't get them out of the crates.. There's zero way, you have to find them in the world."
    Then they release a game complete with weapon drops,players able to buy assault rifles for cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD964rCEDrQ

It's their game,they can do what they want with it,but lying to your customers on day one and purposely misrepresenting the product is not a good way to progress in the free-play market,especially at 20 bucks a head. H1Z1 has 47% of the 3,500 reviews left on Steam saying they would not recommend buying it,that's as bad as I've seen,alpha or not.

I'd happily give it another go once these issues get sorted but for now I'll be taking SOE up on the refunds they are giving.

3. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

Seriously, the game is in early access alpha and this is the perfect time to experiment with things like air drops. The whole point of the alpha is to tweak settings and test new ideas.

Just play the game a bit yourself and make your own decision rather than reading all the rage on reddit, much of which is coming from people who have not even played the game themselves yet.

4. RogueAU

RogueAU Well-Known Member

My first experience was meeting a random stranger, running with him after a crate we saw falling from the sky, killing the guy who ordered it, looting his airdrop and stealing his cop car.

I'm just sayin' it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Although - I can't work out how to 'place' objects like a campfire etc. When I right click on them and choose place, I don't know how to finalise the location.

5. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

On a pve server atm. Figured it would be easier to learn the mechanics of the game if we didn't have to watch out for random psychopaths. Although for some reason there are still a lot of people willing to chase after you with an axe and trying to kill you...

So far there are at least three of us on the server "plague". Just messing around exploring the map and experiment with crafting and base building.

6. JimmyHustler

JimmyHustler Just Joined

I thought the same thing and my character is on plague also, anyone should add me on steam if you are keen to group up

Steam Community :: JimmyHustler

7. CandyPayne

CandyPayne Active Member

I am going to give it a go today, will jump onto plague and give it a burl! ;)

8. RogueAU

RogueAU Well-Known Member

For PvP I'm on Fleshtown - I haven't run into a lot of kill on sight people yet. Mostly small roaming bands of people learning the ropes.

9. roob

roob Retired Captain

It's good to get a stash going as soon as you can so you can store your loot.

This involves a little bit of searching though and mostly in towns. This is rough and requires a bit of self discovery on how to put things together.

• Find a water bottle and a backpack (or make a satchel).
    • Find an axe, chop down some trees. (around 12 hits to cut a tree down)
    • Make a basic shack and a door with wood planks and sticks (secure your door). Somewhere near water/berries/wood would be best.
    • Search cars and bins for metal shards (or scrap metal) and make a hand shovel.
    • Dig a hole in the ground inside your shack to store your loot (make sure it doesn't clip through the wall of your shack).
    • Cook food and purify water as needed to keep yourself going as you search towns for goodies.

10. Horse

Horse Retired Captain

Getting ganked by cattle on the Darling Downs,QLD.
    Running around on Plague now, tried a few other servers first. They have put out a few more resources since yesterday. Getting better, we will need a TOG div soon.

11. Voodou

Voodou Active Member

Running around on Plague also with some buddies. In game name is VoodouZ

12. Daed

Daed Getting Started

How exactly do you fill an empty water bottle in the rain?

13. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

when it is raining, just right click the bottle in your inventory and select "Use"

Should then fill it up with dirty water. From there you can purify it over a campfire.

14. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

I Haven't got this yet but I do have a question.

Is there an NDA up during this Alpha Period since I see you guys talking up the details of the game?

Also, I'm following H1Z1 on their Facebook group page. A developer by the name of arclegger posted this regarding the Air Drop Controversy on Reddit. Link

Arclegger's, post goes into further detail with a break down of the differing sorts of airdrops and how they want to tweak the plane speed and the airdrop package drop rate speed as well.

15. OzRecon

OzRecon PUBG Captain

Bouncing over your head emptying a mag into you
    It needs to be really heavy rain though. The type where you can't hear anyone in TS:rolleyes:.

16. OzRecon

OzRecon PUBG Captain

No it's an open alpha effectively.

17. roob

roob Retired Captain

There are a ton more alpha related issues than the air drop controversy.

The Devs who made the comments about original air drop designs screwed up and didn't think that the community would hold them accountable for such communications. It's why you have a PR guy or girl to handle the flow of information to the community.

Check warframe official forums and streams for how they are very careful to not screw themselves over by making a comment that could come back and bite them in the future. SOE should know better I guess.

The rage over air drops was also a perfect example of how a few streaming people created a riot over an issue that was bound to be changed.

The major flaw with the game currently has nothing to do with air drops and a couple of us are crusading on the forums to try and get the word out on how silly some of the designs currently are.
    These flaws aren't anything new with the survival/building style of games and it's not just H1Z1 that'll have problems with it. It will kill off the fanbase if they don't do something about it though.

Reddit is also known for its more than average amount of negative feedback from the community, so it's not surprising for every little bit of a problem in this alpha to be jumped on by the community there.

I'm one of those suckers that bought into landmark and it cost more than H1Z1 and was less polished. The fanbase died, but they still developed it every month to a nice level and it looks really good now.

I doubt that H1Z1 will vanish from the SOE assortment of games anytime soon and it'll always have servers and devs to keep it going. ;)

18. OzRecon

OzRecon PUBG Captain

I've been playing on Mercy PVE to learn the ropes but will probably only play PVP from now on. Getting griefed with no comeback is no fun at all.

My very short review after wayyy too many hours playing - Best post-apocalyptic survival I have ever played and I have all of them.

Rambling, random notes in no particular order -

Simple inventory system that still needs tweaks but otherwise one of the best I've used.

Crafting is simple and fairly intuitive once you've worked it out.

Environment is excellent. Almost every building is accessible, furniture looks right depending on the building type though a little generic. Loot spawns generally make sense in relation to where they are. Berries - yay - I no longer have to hunt to survive. I can use a branch as a weapon rather than run around for hours looking for a weapon, or worse, a can opener... Rain and environmental water that can actually be used.

The map needs more areas where you can hide a base.

A very obvious lack of military presence anywhere which doesn't fit with what you would expect in the US. The National Guard would be out in vast numbers.

No hackers so far.

Crafting, base building, vehicles... pretty much everything I've wanted in a post-apocalyptic survival game.

As for air drops - the overreaction has been unbelievable. Far from play to win and sometimes pay to die. I saw 2 guys open a crate only to have a dozen zombies pour out. They ran and promptly found themselves facing a few more z's and wolves that had been drawn to the drop as well. Funny as hell. The aggro'ed z's followed them and then a bambi popped out and grabbed everything and ran.

It still needs work (it's an Alpha) but I have removed Rust (it's not often a game gets worse as they work on it but they've managed it), 7D2D, The Forest and Day Z from my PC after playing this.

Probably time we looked at a division for this.

Come join us.

Recon

19. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

I am loving it as well Recon and yes you have to remind yourself its an alpha every now and then.

Are you guys in TS when playing? I will be jumping on tonight for some more action, I have the art of berry picking locked down.

/spawn
    /fund berries
    /fill pouch
    /explore

20. Hootz

Hootz Getting Started

Would be keen to group up with fellow toggers instead of getting stomped by small groups of teenagers every 5 minutes!

Will there be a TOG division for this and for those already playing lets team up on TS.

Edit: Also for those playing please watch this. It helps a lot with Navigation!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHHWx-lJUE

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015