PS4: Harddrive Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Ancient_One, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

I found this interesting but don't think I would buy one myself.

Would anyone else buy this?

NYKO DATA BANK FOR PLAYSTATION 4

Comparisons:

Upgrade 1:
    2TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM Samsung is around $170 AUD which is the limit of these hard drives at present.

Upgrade 2:
    NYKO DATA BANK $75 AUD
    2TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM Green Western Digital is around $100 AUD but you can buy up to 6TB drives.

If you need heaps of space then yes a conversion might be the idea and a big 6TB hard drive but then you are affected by data transfer speeds from the Date Bank to the PS4. Possibly a software upgrade might resolve this if it is not a physical limitation.

So the jury is still out on whether this is a good purchase/mod.

Thoughts?

2. Chief

Chief Well-Known Member

PS4 load times are bad enough as it is. I don't feel the need to keep every game I own installed at once but that said the standard 500GB is way too small considering the size of games these days. Certainly wouldn't want a WD Green in there either :p

If I was to upgrade my PS4's hard drive I'd rather spend a stupid amount on a big SSD.

3. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

I've upgraded my PS4 to a 2TB drive. Wasn't that hard, just took a while for the initial backup process from memory.

I can't find the reference at the moment, but I remember reading somewhere that those NYKO add-ons are dodgy. Apparently they foul up the heat-management of the PS4 and can lead to permanent damage. Probably not worth the risk...