[DONE] Hello from VIKING_AU

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by VIKING_AU, Sep 30, 2018.

1. VIKING_AU

VIKING_AU Getting Started

Hi there fellow gamers. My name is Andrew and I hail from Adelaide in South Australia. I have been gaming for (finger counting) almost 40yrs. That is probably longer than some of you have been on this Earth. Those were the glory days when computer games were a new concept in a child's life. More fun than playing out side and a lot less healthier :)
    My Father bought me 'Pong' in 1979 and yes I still have the console (might be worth something, although I do have an Apple II than is worth a bomb so I hear). I then progressed to the Atari 2600 in 1980 and here is where it gets interesting. I entered an Atari competition here in Adelaide in 1981 and became Atari State Space Invaders Champion. Amongst other things I won a trip to Melbourne to play in the National Championships 6 months later, although they changed the game to Asteroids to align with the 'Atari International Asteroids Tournament' which was progressing in several countries and would culminate in San Francisco
    https://retrobitch.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/photos-from-the-atari-international-asteroids-tournament-in-san-francisco-1981/ (Photos From The Atari International Asteroids Tournament in San Francisco 1981)
    Unfortunately, I was runner up but won a 48K Atari 800 Computer worth $2000 at the time (Equivalent to about $5000 today)
    In 1982 I was also runner up in the State for Atari Pac-Man :)
    So that set the stage for a lifetime of gaming. I progressed to the DX-40 PC, Pentiums, lan parties, overclocking, custom rigs and then Clan battles for AEF in BF2 (I remember TOG then). I am a keen BF fan and looking forward to BF5.
    So I think I have answered questions 1, 2 and 4 so to number 3, why do I want to join TOG. Well, I believe TOG members will embrace my gaming history and certainly relive their glory days when reading my spiel. TOG members have seen the massive changes in gaming and like me, stand in awe of some of the games presented today. I look forward to hearing some of your comments and very much look forward to gaming with some veterans of the gaming world like myself.
    A little about me, never married, no kids so gaming was and still is an obsession. I was a Police Officer for 11 yrs, in the Army for 4yrs and an IT Manager for 15 yrs. Currently own a safety compliance business. I am currently hooked on World of Warships and will embrace BF5 like a new born when it comes out.
    I look forward to being accepted as a new recruit to 'The Older Gamers' :)

Andrew

PradaLlama, Razz and CAMMO like this.
  2. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkles Staff Member Moderator

You still have the console? Nice and yes I do remember those days. Never won anything myself but we are the same age so I know the scene. Well not the pro before it was pro scene haha.

Welcome to TOG mate :)

Congratulations! You have past our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that flaky game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

3. VIKING_AU

hehe, thanks Shrubbo, glad you enjoyed the flashback :)

Shrubbo likes this.
  4. heyheyheya

heyheyheya Well-Known Member

Thank god, we have a Viking called TOGViking but he aint that good, we'll kick him out and you can slide right in as if nothing has changed

Tulgar, Shrubbo, Dolnor and 1 other person like this.
  5. newfulla

newfulla Captain Americas Army Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to TOG Viking_AU

There is some great history right there, and you should fit in fine with the rest of us old farts quiet well.

Your not a true gamer unless you have played pong. :p

Shrubbo and CAMMO like this.
  6. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Stop now Name Taken :)

Welcome mate

Tulgar, newfulla and CAMMO like this.
  7. VIKING_AU

Thank you so much for your comments guys and yes I noticed the name 'viking' was taken when I was registering. I'm sorry it is similar but I'm sure you will understand when I say that my mother is Scandinavian :)

Shrubbo and newfulla like this.
  8. newfulla

newfulla Captain Americas Army Staff Member Moderator

Shrubbo's lawyers be talking to your lawyers... lol :p

2_islands and Shrubbo like this.
  9. Hobbit

Hobbit Well-Known Member

Now that we have two Vikings does that mean we have a Viking horde now?

Tulgar likes this.
  10. green75

green75 Active Member

I hope this viking is a team player and doesn't prone on every map like the other one .lol

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  11. VIKING_AU

Oops !!! I think I started something here !!! lol.

To Shrubbo : Yes I will have to assemble my team of IP and Patent lawyers too :)
    To Hobbit : Du hast einen norden von Deutschland :)
    To Green75 : I don't like playing Sniper if that's what you mean :)

12. shadowrage

shadowrage Americas Army: Vice Captain

other viking not a sniper either he just likes going prone

green75 likes this.
  13. Hobbit

Hobbit Well-Known Member

sorry, I´m not German. And yes there is a north in Germany or do you mean do I live in the north of Germany, and yes to that too.

14. VIKING_AU

oh I see Shadowrange hehe. Sorry Hobbit, I saw your location as Germany. I said 'You have one north of Germany' meaning a horde of Vikings in Denmark :)

15. heyheyheya

heyheyheya Well-Known Member

he means lmg at edge of map moving roughly 2 meters a round

green75 likes this.
  16. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Pfffft you would be lost without me :)

17. green75

green75 Active Member

True the speed hump on ground is good to hide behind sometimes

18. PradaLlama

PradaLlama Getting Started

Hi Viking

I share your nostalgic sentiments. I’ve been gaming since 83 and I’ll still be gaming when I’m 83. Much to my wife’s dismay. :)

Tulgar and Dolnor like this.
  19. VIKING_AU

Hey Viking, sorry you are copping a bit of a ribbing due to my post :) All in fun I'm sure. However, here's some information that may empower you. I was an Lieutenant in the Army and in charge of 3 sections (they call them squads now...Americanised). Anyway, in a section you have 2 scouts with rifles, then there is a rifle group of 4, a secco (Corporal) and a Gun group consisting of an LMG and a Lance Jack (Lance Corporal) assisting with the feed of the bandolier and changing barrels. When faced with a frontal assault, it was always the duty of the Gun Group to find a position which would enable 'Enfilade' or Flanking fire across the longest axis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfilade_and_defilade (Enfilade and defilade - Wikipedia) , therefore having the most effect across the enemy position. It sounds like you naturally find this position in game. That is good soldiery viking :)

green75 likes this.
  20. VIKING_AU

To PradaLlama, yes it feels like I am talking about another person sometimes, it was so long ago, but those memories will certainly stay with me. They were exciting times. I'm sure part of your wedding vows included the phrase, 'love me, love my gaming'. ;)

BoneInspector likes this.