help a first time MMORPG player !!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Ned, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Nestaron

Nestaron Retired Administrator

If you decide to give LOTRO a try send me a PM and I'll send you a key. If you stick with the game you'll get the monthly fee at the same rate as the person who sends you the key (If you don't get a referral you pay full price per month till they have a "special" pricing event. LOTRO has a "lifetime" subscription pay once and you don't pay monthly fees again.

2. Sente

Sente Active Member

As have been mentioned, the social/community aspect of the MMORPGs is one factor that separates them from many other types of games.

Pick one where you have some nice people to play with (e.g. look in TOG MMORPG sections on activity) and it will likely work out well.

That being said, if I would pick some games that could be good starter games in terms of their features and mechanics I think Guild Wars and City of Heroes are two excellent options.

Guild Wars controls are fairly simple to learn and get started. Yet it has a depth that will allow you to evolve and learn new ways to play your characters as you go. It has both a strong PvE (Player vs Environment) side with perhaps one of the best story-driven parts in any MMO-type game you will find today. It has a nice PvP part (Player vs Player) with a number of different options to play.
    And you can also move around your characters freely between the different world instances of the game and in practice all players can all play with each other. This is not the case for most MMOs out these.

City of Heroes is also pretty simple to learn and there is no need to get into details on a number of mechanics, but is possible if you want. It is by far the best game out there today if you want to create a character that looks special and unique. It is also one of the best MMO games in terms of making it easy and quick to team up and tackle various challenges together. It has also one of the smoothest combat mechanics in an MMO.

Both of them are fairly fast-paced for MMO-type games. Guild Wars has a fantasy setting, City of Heroes a superhero (or villain) in big city setting.

Both games are also pretty good in providing the impression that you are the hero, in comparision with other MMO-type games.

3. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

hmm, I think and fail

anyways I am not a fan of the Asia RPG's but found one that is easy to learn from, it is actually a Strategic turn base RPG, the quest are pretty much tutorials , so if you can read and understand English, it is easy to learn the game.

the game I am talking about is Atlantica Online. It is a free game, only part you pay with real $$ is for special items you can use in the game , but not necessarily needed.

Most RPG games have some very good tutorials, just most players ignore reading them, and say the game sux, or it was too hard to learn. There are some that have badly written tutorials as well,
    I only glanced at some of the replies, and you were given some good advice from what little I did read.
    best thing to do is finding what kinda rpg you like playing, I would suggest Anarchy Online, you may enjoy that one, but there may not be someone there to help you along.

You can get a slight feel of what the players are like, by reading the official forums of what ever game you may choose. you'll find in most, that the same attitude is on the forums as in the games.
    well I'll cut me off here, before I forget why I am replying

here is the link to Atlantica Online : Strategic Turn-based MMORPG from NDOORS : the place for Free Online Games and Online RPGs

4. Mercyful

Mercyful Getting Started

if you want a muture community then LOTRO is the way to go and you dont have to go far to get help from non Tog members.... i have notic this after playing a number of other MMORPG's

5. Silver Lady

Silver Lady Well-Known Member

Guild Wars is a fabulous game. I've been playing for almost 3 years now, practically every night, and I still love it. Of course you have to buy the game itself but from then on it's free. Prophecies is the original game and I think it's the best for a new player. Factions was the next,( not my favourite) then Nightfall. Eye of the North is the expansion and a bit harder to play than the others.
    We have a large TOG community. An alliance of 6 guilds (because there is a limit of 100 people in a guild) all under the TOG banner. We chat in alliance chat so we are in touch with all members and also use Team Speak and we have members from all over the world.
    There is a great Australian comunity ...(Damo take note and come back) :) in Temple guild, and you'll find someone on every night. We have a few.. new to GW players who have joined recently so you won't be the only "noob", and we love to help newbies.
    If you are a solo player, you can do so with heroes and henchies, but the fun of a mmorpg is grouping with others.
    I hope you give us a try. You would be most welcome........Ellie

PS. There really are, real females on GW and we are all gorgeous. You wait till you see us :)

6. Damo

Damo Well-Known Member

All right, I'll re-install it when I come back from my holiday mid January.

7. Redbeard

Redbeard Well-Known Member

Lot's of great answers in this thread - could be a beginning of a TOG MMORPG newbie FAQ?

I'll try a different angle, Ned mentioned he didn't want a daunting learning curve. Most games have an introductionary part at the beginning, World of Warcraft (WoW), Age of Conan (AoC) and Warhammer online (WAR) all had various tips bumping up as I advanced through the early game.

If you don't rush into the game with the goal of leveling to max asap, but take your time reading those tips, the basic game mechanics will be obvious. The games mentioned above were all aimed at mass markets and needed to sucker in gamers who aren't familiar with these types of games.

My mmorpg resume consists of those three games (Wow, Aoc, War), of which only Wow I've been playing longer and at higher levels. Blizzards philosophy on designing Wow has been "Easy to learn, hard to master" (at least this has been lately touted) and that is one factor that fascinates me. While the basic game mechanics become familiar you can always learn new tricks, see something new, participate in game lore via quests etc.

Currently I'm having a blast at Wow trying to beat the challenges of 5-person dungeons with a small group of friends at a non-TOG server (sadly they rolled there before I could introduce TOG for them). Bigger TOG guilds also join bigger player pools to beat 10-man or 25-man dungeons while many like the Player vs Player (PvP) aspect of Wow in BattleGrounds (instanced maps of set amount of players on each side) or compete with other teams at arena pvp matches (2vs2, 3vs3 or 5vs5 teams).

Also (as some contributers of this thread can vouch) I like the customization options provided for Wow (Warhammer also). The game developers have enabled a possibility for the fan base to make many customizations to the User Interface so if you don't like the way your UI works, or want to customize it to more familiar (FPS?) setting you can download an addon and have magic work on your gaming experience. Although I must admit this is a more advanced topic, I felt compelled to state this opportunity :)

8. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Well my girlfriend plays AoC and granted I got her playing a Priest of Mitra to start, the caster classes are pretty easy to play. This is her first MMO game and she likes it, but that is probably because she likes me. :) Anyway, the point is that even though AoC does have more complicated mechanics as far as combat goes, that mainly applies to melee. There are two main types of casters (dps and heals), and then there is a hybrid caster/melee type which those guys (Bear Shaman and Herald of Xolti are pretty powerful). So, you don't have to forgoe the more complex games if you don't want to since I think they offer more. I can get you a trial key if you like.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. tinman_au

tinman_au Retired Captain

For F2P (Free to play) Aeria have some good stuff. The only one of theirs I've actually played is Project Torque (online racing game), but they have more "classic" RPG's as well. I think most of their games use microtransactions to generate income, but you don't actually need to buy anything. Can't hurt to try them, it'll only cost you your time :)

You'll find that subscription based MMO's will usually deliver more content though. If you want to go for a "sub" based game, WoW would be a good starter MMO, it has a lot of hand-holding to help ease you in and it'll give you a good feel for what's possible from paying a subscription.

Another good fantasy based sub MMO is Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine are a good company and have been making MMO's almost longer than anyone else left in the industry (besides Sony's Everquest and Ultima Online).

If fantasy isn't your "cup of tea", theres plenty of other games out there based on other genres, and a lot of new ones on the way like Stargate Worlds, sites like MMORPG can help you narrow down the field a bit, but take their forums with a grain or two of salt, they tend to have "fanboi wars" and a lot of trolls.

And if your into PvP (Player verses Player) check out Warhammer Online. Mythic have a teams based version of PvP called RvR (realm vs realm) and combat against the other realm is always....interesting at the very least :). If you'd like to try WAR, pop me a PM and I can arrange a trial key for you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  10. RogueSlayer

RogueSlayer Retired Captain

Ned,

If you are still looking at this thread, I have a few bits to offer as well.

If you have any friends from other games that you have played here in TOG who are also playing an MMORPG, you may wish to start with one of those. Having someone you know out of the gate that can help you can be invaluable.

If you truly do just want a taste of what the games can offer then starting with a fully free game is not a bad idea. 9Dragons is easy to learn and will give you a very good sense of the basics you will find in more advanced games. Alternatively, Guild Wars would be good for this too (heh, can't believe I just recommended that game :p ).

If you do want to try the AAA games, I am sure you can find a local TOG member who could lone you discs to get the client and then apply a trial code. However, there would still be patching/downloading to do afterwards. So, bandwidth consumption should still be expected.

11. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I decided to give Guild Wars a try after reading this thread, and I am pleasantly surprised. It is actually a very good game at least in my eyes.

12. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Thanks everyone for all the great feeedback!
    Plenty to digest :shock:

I'll go through it all in a day or two and will also provide some feedback from a newbie.

I'm sure this thread has and will help more members than just me :)

cheers
    ned

13. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

Truer words were never spoken Dars!!! :lol: