help me like the Half-Life series..

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Ned, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

OK you can stop throwing objects at me now..
    ..seriously that last 21" CRT monitor hurt!
    ..and no ganging up on me at a LAN!

I must have a problem (apart from the obvious ones).. I find the Half-Life series totally boring as discussed here..

:!: HELP ME ENJOY HALF-LIFE :!:

• do I need to complete the original to really enjoy the sequel?

-Why did YOU enjoy the Half-Life series?

-Please list you favourite Half-Life series game
    Half-Life
    Half-Life: Opposing Forces
    Half-Life: Blue Shift
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode One
    Half-Life 2: Episode Two

I have Half-Life 2 (willing to get the original etc).
    I have food and coffee and water for a long gaming weekend.
    I have an understanding partner.

What else do I need?
    How can I enjoy this.. I feel as though I'm missing out!

:)

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  2. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Not sure what it was that got me into it. I never played Blue Shift or Opposing forces (although now after writing this i might just duck back in time and play through them as well) :cool: but i did play these games from the first HalfLife, then HL2, Ep1 then Ep2. So i bassically started at the very beginning and played through till the end. Playing that way will get you into the story line. Also it was quite a few years ago now that i played the first HL game and back then it was pretty well up there. Fire it up these days after playing games with DX10 and the likes will probably make you wonder what all the fuss is about. As for a fav out of the series, probably the first, but each one gave me hours of fun.

Up the difficulty, run around and use all the different weapons. The spider bait (cant remember the name of it now) was always one of my Fav's along with the gravity gun.

They're all just legendry games made for PC i guess. That's why to enjoy them these days you need to have an open mind to how old the series actually is now.....;)

Cheers.

3. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

I think you will need to have a look at HL1,the graphics are dated but you will be able to follow the story from the start.I think the reason why I liked all of the games was it is not just a point and shoot game but you had to solve puzzles,find exits etc,sure there have been many games to follow using this idea,but when HL1 came out it just seemed to be way ahead of its time.
    I would hate to think of the hours I have spent playing HL,both SP and MP

4. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

For me it's the story as much as anything - Episode Two had a cliff-hanger ending and I genuinely want to know what happens in Episode Three.

Episode One was "necessary" to continue the story, but game-wise it wasn't all that interesting. Episode Two was easily my favourite (yes, I'm one of the nutjobs who carried that damn garden gnome through the game to the rocket at the end!).

I've only played through the three Half-Life 2 games, haven't played the original Half-Life series - I'm waiting for the community-created Black Mesa project (due out later this year) to experience the earlier part of the story.

5. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

There's a lot of stuff layered into HL2 that you just won't notice if you haven't played HL1.

6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Op For is my favourite of the series, wish they'd make a sequel for it.

I did enjoy HL2 and eps 1 & 2, but only on the first play-through. I've tried to replay them but found it nowhere near as enjoyable, because I already know what happens. For a singleplayer FPS game I found the story surprisingly engaging, but that really is the only thing that kept me interested.

Still eagerly awaiting ep 3, though it seems it has the same release date as Duke Nukem Forever and Starcraft: Ghost :p

7. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Exactly ;)

8. shock_

shock_ Active Member

You know it's okay not to get into a game that is popular with most people. Certainly no different to other forms of art / entertainment.

HL and HL2 are puzzle games wrapped in narrative and fps. As such, I reckon they are done very well. I believe people responded to Portal because it hit the same buttons. Have you played that?

9. shock_

shock_ Active Member

wow - I hadn't heard of this. That video looks great!! Certainly a notch up from HL:S.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Black Mesa has been in the works since the HL:2 SDK was released. However, I actually believe they'll finally finish this one day.

11. George

George Retired Captain

I'm with you ned. I've got them all and finished none. I even brought the orange box again for the PS3 to see if i'd get to play them more but no. I can't put my finger on why as well, (possibly my skill level)
    Let me know how you do, although i have a ever growing list of games i haven't completed.

12. Ned

Totally undertsand and agree!
    (eg. imo CSS & COD4:MW are the most overrated FPS games in history)

I just want to make sure I'm giving it a good chance. One last run!

No I haven't played Portal... heard many good things about that game also.
    I've added to my 'maybe to play' list :)

From the feedback you've heard on the original Half-Life, do you feel as though you had a reduced impact while playing the sequel?

Black Mesa looks great!

Will do!

13. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

From the perspective of the story, no - but that's because I read a lot about the basic plot from HL, watched some gameplay videos, etc.

14. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

You're not alone Ned.

One night I was bored, loaded up HL2. Since I'd bought it (the orange box) I might as well play it right? I got through for a while. There were a few bits I thought were really cool; but a whole lot more that was really boring. Once I reached a puzzle where I was stuck on for a little bit I gave up. Next day I cleared it off my HDD as wasted space.

15. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

HL2 was my fav outta all of them..although they were all good in their own way and stuff..and yet like so many others..I cant go back to the game after beating it lol. I have tried on several occasions and I start..do the first like 10 minutes then turn it off due to boredom:confused:.

16. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

If you didnt play it 10 years ago on a voodoo2 or equivalent you missed the boat, no hope for you now. Give it to someone who would enjoy it.

17. Ned

I recently played the 1999 expansion to Unreal and loved it!
    Gameplay outweighs graphics in my gaming world :)

18. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

I would agree that playing the original then 2 then the stupidly designed episodic(shoulda made a full game valve :( ) series does make a big difference. I have yet to play a fps game whose storyline is close to it. Its gameplay is very easy and simplistic though. Portal on the other hand will go down in history as a absolute cracker of a game.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  19. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Portal will go down in history as one of the greatest games...my mates love it its the only reason they went and got the orange box haha. And its got heaps of replay value(beaten it 3 times now:D)

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  20. Dalienx

Dalienx Well-Known Member

I love the whole series, and have played the lot all the way through.
    Halflife, oposing force, blue shift.... all of it.
    The storyline makes it work, but the hl2 graphics blew me away too when it first came out (looks a bit meh now though)