help me like the Half-Life series..

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Ned, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Yeah but alot of games get like that...they have amazing graphics first time around..two weeks later and the graphics are..dull..and eh. So you turn it off and chuck in crysis...2 weeks later same thing..repeat:p

2. plebc

plebc Well-Known Member

I was never into pc gaming until HL2, only ps2. I had just bought a laptop (in 2004?) and decided to get the best fps that was out - i bought HL2 and played it to the end. I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere, the weapons, the sound. I bought HL and the other HL games (blue shift, opposing force) but only played HL maybe 1/2 way through, after i had finished HL2. I played HL2 ep1 to the end (but got stuck at the end) and am stuck at the end of HL2 ep2. The only other single player fps that has got me interested since then is bioshock.

As for the multiplayers I keep coming back to DODS, not battlefield (1942 or vietnam or 2 or whatever), or COD (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 etc), or CSS, or UT2k4/UT3. But maybe that is about the TOG DODS division more than anything else.

My guess is that HL1 is more history than anything. Play it to see what the evolution of gaming was about. And Blue Shift and Opposing force are about sequels and mods and integrated storylines. And HL2 was a serious step forward with story and playability and graphics.

Ned likes this.
  3. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

Just thought I would thow this up.......
    Black Mesa

4. NackaJeem

NackaJeem Well-Known Member

Half-Life. Ahh the memories. Little bulldog-looking things that squawked at you, headcrabs, zombies, they nailed the whole package imo. Played pretty much everything Half-Life including Half-Life:Source.

Killing things with circular saw blades and the gravity gun just never got old. Then again, killing things with pretty much anything picked up with the gravity gun was great.

Looking forward to Episode 3 if it sees the light of day. Edit: Interesting piece of footage Milt. It says "2009" at the end, not sure if that's when it'll be released or they were just telling us what year it is :) It looks pretty good. I'd forgotten about the crowbar!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  5. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Doubtful it'll be out this year. They have set it back numerous times during it's development. Though when it does arrive, it's going to be HUGE! :)

6. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Looks like they've revamped their Web site and quite clearly on the home page it says:

Still a little bit of time to go - the Web site revamp may suggest they're getting closer to release. I'm just hoping that they're talking to Valve about making this available via Steam (like some other mods have done)...

7. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I'm guessing L4D 2 is the big valve game for this year, maybe we will see ep3 in 2010.

8. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

I really hope they do get this out before the end of the year. They are notorious for releasing tidbits and the such around Christmas time, so maybe it will be released as a big old Chrissy pressy for us all :D

9. Leevers

Leevers Guest

Half life certainly isn't my game.

I used to play the old CS many moons ago when it was the most played game on the internet and rated so in the year 2000, and i think 2001 also, but like most things. I moved on to BF:1942, and then continued on with the BF series.

CS just doesn't provide that realism or mental stimulation that other games can provide today. With that said, I'm sure it's still an ok game to play every now and then. Obviously many still play it so it has a definite cult following, but I'm with you Ned.. I just can't find myself enjoying it.

10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Nah, it'll be L4D3 in 2010. ;)

11. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

12. neimad

neimad Well-Known Member

I played HL, OpFor, Blue Shift and bought HL2 and all the expansions in anticipation of continuing the experience. But I was brought undone by the now well documented motion sickness problem and can't play beyond the first chapter without feeling ill. No such issues with TF2 or L4D but it's a shame I can't complete the flag ship game.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  13. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to play around with your FOV mate. Be a shame not to go through the entire series. :)

14. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I've heard with other FPS games people remove the weapon/arm bobbing while moving to sort that problem.

15. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Agree! It would be very annnoying not being able to finish something you started and enjoy.

16. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

I'm trying to post a vid but I'll put in the main forum

17. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

18. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

19. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

20. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Yes, but it's just your PC gamer paranoia that's kicked in. You'll get over over it.

BTW, the first though I had when reading this was, "Oh gee, Unknown's going to be bitterly disappointed" ;)