help me like the Half-Life series..

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Ned, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Jubby

Jubby Well-Known Member

The cinematic mod (v 10.3 is a hefty 9gb) adds high resolution textures to HL2, Ep1 and Ep2. Also gives the world a darker and grittier atmosphere.

2. shock_

shock_ Active Member

The Cinematic Mod also re-casts the main characters with unknown faces for no reason that I could see. That alone prevented me from bothering with it beyond the boat level.

3. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

To work against re-cycling. I know I kept seeing Gorden Frohman everywhere, wearing different job uniforms and being dead bodies too. I'm thinking thats why.

4. rokaan

rokaan Active Member

The Orange box would be the way to go as you get the whole hl2 experience plus the quirky puzzler portal.

There is a mod comming out called what I think is Black Mesa which is a remake of HL1 using the HL2 engine, should be interesting.

--------------------------------------
    Guild Wars:
    Arack the Bold W/R 20 : Defy Pain
    The Sandgroper N/E 20 : SS
    Abigail E/Me 20 : MoM

Games currently playing: (PC) Bioshock 2,Aliens vs predator, stalker: COP (PS3) Darksiders,Bayonetta

5. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Well Ned - what's your opinion of the Half-Life series now that you've been playing it for...

...a little while? ;)

6. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I started and finished it last Saturday-Sunday. After I completed it I bought Episodes 1 & 2.. finished EP1 yesterday (5 hours). I'll complete EP2 sometime very soon and comment then :)

[stunning visuals even for it's age - engaging gamplay - and I now understand why people are screaming for an Episode 3 even though I haven't started EP2 yet!..]

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  7. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

This is where I got hooked too...

I cant even remember what system I had back then but when I first loaded up HL it was like "WOAH" check out this GFX.

If you went back now that element would be missing because the advancment in visual gaming effects is massive, having said that tho you might really enjoy just for me I find it hard to go backwards most of the time.

But if that doesnt bother you then get stuck into it man, close the door tilt the blinds and crack a can of Jolt... become one with the wrench ... master the Freeman

:)

8. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Still on the first part of this game myself, i suck at FPS games and get too jittery while playing them - I really must make a point of playing through these. As i have them all on my drive ready to go.

9. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

I never really think of HL2 as an FPS. Sure it qualifies technically, but the "S" bit always seemed somewhat ancillary to the story experience.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

There wasn't much story to it though now was there? It's been a while... I always thought of it as more of an "adventure". By that I mean the Indiana Jones kind of adventure not an old school text-based adventure game.

11. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Definately an adventure. Maybe we should get on a server and get back into HalfLife2 Deathmatch. MultiPlay classic.:D

12. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Fair enough, maybe I should have said "experience" or "adventure"

13. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

Not much story huh? Don't say that to the nerds who pieced all the implications together. there is a wiki out there somewhere. Yeah there is a story. but it has to be found and put together yourself. it's not simply told to you

14. Dreadly

Dreadly Well-Known Member

Awesome, count me in if this goes ahead.

15. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I finally got the orange box a few months ago (money is tight so I've been waiting a while).... I was really impressed with the first Half Life... so I'd been really really eager to play the second.

When I new I was getting it, I played HL again so I was back in the zone... and even now, even with the not so up to date graphics, I still thought it was a really well done game. I do think you need to have played the first to really appreciate the second. If for nothing else it gives the storyline of why you've got the aliens running about and who the characters are (yes I suppose you could google it) - including yourself.

I've played through Episode 1, portal and lost coast... just about to start episode 2 tonight. When Team Fortress2 finishes downloading (I keep forgetting to resume it and let it run overnight), I'll have a look at that (I've played the first one a little)