History of RPGs

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by cougar75, Apr 10, 2008.

1. cougar75

cougar75 Getting Started

This isn't a post about how great things used to be in the old days but rather a history of my history of pen and paper RPGs, or rather a "This is what I've played and what I thought of them" post so with no more mucking about, my first RPG experience was with first edition Twilight 2000 shortly followed by 2nd Edition, from there I've played, in no particular order: AD&D, Star Wars (1st, 2nd & 3rd Edition), Vampire (in various formats), Werewolf, Changeling, Cyberpunk, Warhammer Fantasy, Traveller (1st and 2nd Edition), Dark Conspiracy, Robotech, Rifts, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Trek (TOS and TNG), the Palledium super heroes game (forgotten the name). Of these I've run games of Twilight 2000 (1st and 2ndEdition), Cyberpunk, Star Wars, Warhammer Fantasy and just to be different B5.

Out of this list the best games I had were Dark Conspiracy, one or two D&D 3rd Edition games and a rip snorter of a Vampire game all of which those of us involved in still recall fondly many years after the games have finished.

Now we get to the other part of the post and it pretty obvious really, what games have others played and if given the chance to play in them again or recreate them would you? (apologies if this has already been done)

2. bochaba

bochaba Well-Known Member

It was called Champions I think. They also made the ruleset for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG of which I played a lot.

Also played D&D up to 2nd Ed. Gurps, Middle Earth RPG, Warhammer Fantasy, and Traveller....mostly older stuff. Warhammer got me into Table Top wargaming and RPG fell by the wayside.

3. cougar75

cougar75 Getting Started

Champions... yeah that sounds about right. I was all set to play TMNT but unfortunately at about that time school got in the way and we never got around to playing.

4. zero

zero Active Member

I am a huge fan of RPG's in the electronic form, particularly D&D games. I have the D&D books, know all the rules, yet I have never played an actual pen and paper game :p

I am going to be playing in my first campaign in August, after the 4th edition D&D books are out. I'm pretty pumped... I think I'll like playing support classes the most so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a cleric :D

5. cougar75

cougar75 Getting Started

Wow never played a pen and paper game but still hooked on CRPGs, I don't think I've ever come across that before. Usually CRPG players come from the world of pen and paper players.

Good luck with the game, I've not heard much about 4th edition but hopefully I'll get a look at it soon.

6. paenggoy

paenggoy Active Member

7. cougar75

cougar75 Getting Started

Wow from never having played a PnP game to Call of Cthulu, impressive. Cthulu is one of the wierdest games to get your head around purely because of the world in which it's set. If you've never read any H.P Lovecraft's work you could be in for a shock.

Thanks for the link too I'll check it out while getting ready for my next D&D 3.5 session.

8. paenggoy

paenggoy Active Member

I forgot to mention that I play CRPGs, so I hope I can follow what's used in RPGs like the character sheets with attributies, die rolls for actions and decisions, etc. For now, I've played only board games like Arkham Horror.

9. medicated

medicated Well-Known Member

Actually it is Heroes Unlimited. I am a big fan. The Champions game is for the Hero System.

Your initial list of games pretty much matches mine. I am a long time player of: Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, MERP, Gurps, Battlelords of the 23rd Centry, Weird Wars, TMNT, Nightbane, Morrow Project, Traveller, Starwars D6 & D20, Dragonstar, Paranoia, most D&D campagins, Battletech, Warhammer Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Legend of the Five Rings, and Mordheim.

Some of my best games, both running and playing have been with Rifts. I absolutely love this setting. I can look past most of the glaring overpowered rules of the game because of the setting. With the right GM and the right group of players, this setting can be one of the most rewarding in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Medicated

10. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

D&D (basic), Traveller, Gamma World, AD&D (1st Ed, 2nd & 3), MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Aftermath, Space Opera, Albedo, Trauma, Cyberpunk, Bushido, Twilight 2000, Runequest, Paranoia , Toon, Shadowrun (2nd & 4th Ed), Milleniums End, Rolemaster, WFRP (orginal version), Skyrealms of Jorune, Hawkmoon, Pendragon, Space 1889, Fading Suns, Vampire (1st, 2nd, revised WOD), Mage (2nd Ed), Ars Magica, Fudge, Trinity, Tribe 8, Dragonlance: The Fifth Age, Judge Dredd, 7th sea, Flashing Blades, Engarde

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember. Also several homebrew systems based on the rules of games such as Trauma & the BRP system of CoC & 2nd ed Mage.

Favourites - Tribe 8, Call of Cthulhu. Longest Running Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Bushido (all real fun games)