[HL2] How to get and play Deathmatch.

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Howitzer, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Howitzer

Howitzer Well-Known Member

After posting the news I tried to get to HL2 deathmatch through the HL2 game interface thinking it would automayically load it.....NOT! So here is what I found out muddleing around with it;

I had to go to the server button through the Steam client. This scans for all valve multiplayer games.

It listed Deahtmatch (HL2 source) I clicked to get into a server. This is where the Deathmatch client loaded. *note It did not load from a server that said it was full*.

After loading HL2 Deathmatch it appears as a seperate game in the "play games" interface.

Through it you can scan for just HL2 deathmatch without scanning all games through the Steam client server button.

Enjoy.

By the way. If you noticed some problems with your system specs playing the single player game. They will show up even more in multiplayer. Even though I go into a fairly decent ping server the game lag really makes a difference. Still waiting for the nForce4 boards to come out to do my next upgrade.

2. CannonFodda

CannonFodda Retired Administrator

had a go last night. i have no probs running hl2sp or cs:s but this was laggy as & pretty lame to boot. plenty of room for improvement imo, but i'm looking forward to the results.

3. KnobGoblin

KnobGoblin Retired Captain

Yeah, I thought it'd be an option in the HL2 menu but obviously it's not. I had no problems getting onto one of the gamearena servers and got myself obliterated by the folk online at 8am (!!!) ... I think I'll drop my display settings to get a higher framerate for deathmatch.

I played HL1 deathmatch to death, even made my own map so I hope I get as much fun out of HL2 deathmatch... I'm wondering if the gravity gun will be used as much as Valve are saying it will.

4. Howitzer

Howitzer Well-Known Member

The Gravity gun was being used heavily on the servers I've played. Its just slow and awkward. An old steam radiator in the face is usually a one shot kill. But if theres no junk available to pick up its usless.