Homefront Demo on Steam

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by SJ777, Jun 25, 2011.

1. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

Just got an email saying a demo with 2 maps and game modes is available. Dling now to check it out.:)

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Ahh Kaos - why the hell would you release a demo now?? Srsly this company does just about everything arse-backwards.

3. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

Down loading now.

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

5. Rage032

Rage032 Retired Captain

That is backwards. Going to give the demo a go as well though.

6. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

7. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

just installed and had a run on a 300+ ping server

first impression is not bad - definitely will be playing the demo a bit more - but not sure that will translate to a purchase even at half price. The servers being connected to maybe only demo servers - not sure if we can see the full version ones.

EDIT: played some more with a full server and you know what...i would have rather spent $100 on this than blackops. This game runs smoothly compared to the fps lag and horrible rego that comes with blackops on my pc...im quite impressed...yes its somewhere between cod and BC2. its more like ffow on a smaller map size.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

Ok I had a run. This is what I found -

• It played windowed for me (not sure if that is in the game too) with no way of going full screen.
    • The server browser had no consistency. One update and it wont find a server under 300 ping, the next there are some more local servers.
    • When I found a sserver it wouldnt connect me it would just say "loading...."
    • One bloke was unstoppable - he could run 5 times faster than everyone else and was killing everyone instantly.
    • Everything just looks small.
    • The graphics were pretty poor
    Verdict - not worth the money - I thought the latest MOH was the closest in style and I am glad I paid $50 for it (as it was far superior) and not the $90 for this.

9. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

there is a graphics option dropdown selector for full screen, windowed full or windowed.

MOH now there is a game that is undervalued;)

10. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

I might go back and have a look at it un-windowed. I should have put some good points there as it obviously does have them.

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

That's true over just about every MP FPS game I've ever played though, at times anyway. Some worse than others. ;)

12. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

MOH rocked... and helped pay for BF3... I have the demo of HF also now and would like to check out a local server...

13. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

went to find you and you're offline. steam msg me when ur back if you up from a run tonight...:cool:

14. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

Funny that trying to finish some assignments for a business course.. but what the heck!! Logging on now!

15. Rage032

Rage032 Retired Captain

Agreed! I still play the MP every now and then. It's a solid game.

AS for HF. I got on a 300+ server as well. My opinion.... It lacks weight. It looked okay. It was fun for the first 5 minutes cause I was dominating the game, however after I got over that there is nothing here that I can't see being done better on other games. I'm one for using vehicles as well so the kill streak points were silly to me. I just rained down missiles from the airplane.

As for the 'lacks' weight. It plays like the old shooter games before your characters were super human, kinda like Halo (which I don't like). I would rather feel like I'm a slow fat man (ie. BC2 or Killzone 2 & 3). It just makes the game more interesting to me. I won't be spending any money on this.

16. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

LMAO.

Just realised Homefront is on steam's summer sale for $60.

OR

You can buy the THQ complete pack, including Homefront, for $50 (with 13 other games).

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

(edit button is broken)

18. Rage032

Rage032 Retired Captain

Just finished playing to single player campaign. If I had actually paid for the game I would have been really disappointed. SP took me about 4 hours. So as far as single player games go that is seriously weak. 8 hours minimum it should take me. At least for a game that came out at $90 retail. The actually SP game play was pretty awesome. I had a lot of fun playing the game. Story is pretty good. I like the setting. The story telling is pretty weak though. Not that it really matters cause the game play is fast and action packed which is really what keeps you interested.

Is there anything new here? Nope. Like someone else said they pretty much just tried their best to make something like COD4:MW. I think they did an okay job. Not as good as COD by any stretch, but I enjoyed the time I played. I am glad however that I didn't pay for it as I don't think I will play through the SP again and going off of the MP demo I don't want to play that. I may purchase it later on when it's like $20 as I do feel that they developers did a nice job and would like to see a second game as long as they make the SP longer, oh and change the gun sounds so not every gun sounds exactly the same as each other.

I give it a 6 and a half /10

19. Quickie

Quickie Retired Captain

Well regardless I'm loving the game. I don't know why ppls are saying the gfx are poor. I've played many a FPS and IMO the gfx are quite good.

Download the demo and have a play on MP. That's how I started out and I'm glad I did.

Hook us up on steam if you buy the retail. Would love to play with toggers! :)