Homefront

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Coddie, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Mainly for SP - said it's six hours of your life you'll never get back :D

MP fared a whole lot better in the review, but I'd imagine that at the time of writing there wouldn't have been any online servers to use and abuse. And the proof in in the playing :)

Mine too - and it was a game breaker in FFoW too. There was nothing worse than laying in ambush in the gutter with a perfect line of sight down a choke-hold, make the perfect headshot, only to find it hit the invisible concrete due to clipping errors... it was rampant in FFoW...

2. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

Shawty!

3. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Hopefully some patches will sort that out. I think I'll leave this game alone, at least for a while. It's a real shame to hear similar gripes to FFoW.

4. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

problem is crysis 2 has bad MP reviews , small cod type maps in nano suits , now this ... BF3 is a long way and need a game .. i was hoping at least one of these would be okay

5. Spectre8

Not sure if this is something that can be patched actually. I'm no programmer that's for sure, but texture clipping on a large scale (as it was in FFoW) was something beyond fixing.

6. AdmiralTriggerH

AdmiralTriggerH Retired Captain

Well I've been playing the SP campaign and so far its decent, better than most and it doesn't seem to be too short.
    I tested out the MP but it was an empty server.
    It looks like it has potential so maybe we should get some toggers playing it and see how we go

7. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

I'll buy it when it goes sub $15 I'd reckon... That's if it does have a decent MP otherwise forget it.

8. butterfly

butterfly Well-Known Member

Mmmm finished already.
    Not a bad game but I really have problems seeing the dollar value in games that are this short unless the MP is excellent.

But.... these days I will support a game that has a LAN option :)

9. Binary-Ninja

i will get this today or tomorrow because the more the Crysis 2 reviews come out the worse it seems to be in MP

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Skip this one BN, just get Brink. It's going to be heaps better.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  11. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

I have played about 75% of the SP conent in the game. Most of which I have found enjoyable. the story line is enjoyable and there are a couple of moments in the game which I thought were very cool. That being said once again we have another FPS which is like many others. There a couple of annoyances I have which you could call trivial, the first is directly to how the game holds you while a conversation or dialogue plays out and you cant move through doors or you have to wait for NPC's to move into position. I have a tendency to want to just crash into the next section of the game. Sadly the overall effect of this slows down the game at various points.
    This aside I like the feel of the weapons and the control of the fiew vehicles are ok and easy to use with keyboard and mouse.
    The big issue the game suffers from is the fact that like i mentioned before it is another FPS. These days the story lines are what separates the games. Much like the Call of Duty series, besides they different stories the gameplay itself repeats. This can also be said for the Battlefield series, lets face it we have almost being playing the same games with these for 10 years.
    I will have to support Dracs recomendation to purchase brink as from what I have read there is an effort to change how the game is played with online and sp being blemnded together to make it unique.

Back to Homefront though. If are like me and enjoy playing FPS and dont put too much though into how one game can be better than another, buy the game and have some fun.
    If you are price conscious and only purchase limited games wait till this is on special and the bang for buck will be good. Otherwise this is another FPS in a long line of FPS games which has some cool weapons and interesting story but stays in the pack of many games

Ned likes this.
  12. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

I'm really interested in the MP experience....any comments from the floor?:)

13. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Not that inspiring. Played it for about 10 minutes and if I never played it again, I wouldn't miss it a bit.

It's like a cheesy version of COD. Only played the domination clone, none of the other game types but then I enjoy dom in COD. I paid good money for it so I'm sure I'll go back and give it another crack but if I was asked if I would buy it knowing what I know now, I'd say probably not.

14. Binary-Ninja

okay if it is going to be ordinary but crysis 2 seems to be as well

15. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to give that one a miss too - until it's on special in 6 months. At the moment I'm exceptionally happy with Shogun 2 and Dragon Age II in the last week or so that I'm really not looking for something else right now.

16. Spectre8

Yup, Brink sounds like it's doing something different and new, BF3 sounds like it's going to be doing new and better things - Homefront looks like a COD clone with extra patriotism - neither of which appeal to me at any level.

Ahh well, at least they're making good sales on release - hopefully one day KAOS will go back to their roots and go for the simplicity of Desert Combat.

17. Binary-Ninja

i don't have my contacts at the game maker for Shogun Total War anymore , and he has left them but the first one was good

18. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

Finished the SP last night and had a few rounds of MP. I enjoyed the SP but it just ended. Felt more like the 1st mission of 3. Personally I think they could have expanded this a little as the world the game exists is excellent.
    The game feels more like a tunnel shooter as it pushes you through narrow fields of play
    The multiplayer on the other hand has very large maps. They look great and have lots of nooks and crannies for people to hide in. There is a kill cam which reduces the ability for people to camp for long periods of time but due to the size of the maps it can be hard to traverse to locations to remove snipers.
    The battlepoint system I would have to say is the most innovative feature in the game. The more point, the more goodies you can use in each round.
    I found that I was impatient with the load times as it is similar to COD where there is an intermission so you can change your weapon loadouts and perks etc. Being a battlefield boy I do prefer the load straight into the map scenario and play straight away, each to there own on that one I think.
    There isnt a great deal that really stands out as unique and as mentioned before it is another fps in a list of fps's, I just think they could have expanded the SP a lot more.
    I will persist with the MP and see how that goes as playing in new environments s fun.
    If they plan to have DLC to add to the SP campaign to extend the game there is a future for Homefront at the correct price point.

19. Player One

Player One Getting Started

well this is annoying. my copy arrived this morning, i set about installing it activating it on steam. go to play it and oh wait. This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time. I dont want to try later I want to try now dammit.

20. Binary-Ninja

did you try to run the updater to see if it requires any .. most games need 0 day updates to address and issue and stops people getting on games before official release day