PS3: Hope none of you went to this site!

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Pure Mongrel, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

SONY has just won the right to access the IP address logs of eveyone that visted the site of George Hotz’s website from January of 2009 to the present.

What they will do with this info is supposedly just to prove a demographic of usage, but I wonder if SONY will use the info to ban PS3's found using those same addresses?

Only time will tell I guess.

Judge Lets Sony Unmask Visitors to PS3-Jailbreaking Site | Threat Level | Wired.com
    Judge allows Sony to see IPs of those visiting PS3 jailbreak site

2. Cindax

Cindax World of Warcraft Officer

Demographics my arse, they are perusing it for scare tactics because they are a bully corporation and don't want you to have reasonable control over your own console!

I wont write them down but I have a number of four letter words on the tip of my tongue ready to describe sony over this incident. :(
    ps.. and the judge that allowed their petition!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

One of the big reasons i play on the console is because the system is closed and tamper proof.
    This means i don't have to worry about cockroaches screwing up my game with hacks and cheats, online pc gaming is practically destroyed by these asshats.
    And along comes this punk that ****s it all up with his bullshit reason to run homebrew.
    Everybody knows that 99.99% of the people use it to pirate games and cheat online.
    Luckily Sony has fixed the hack for the moment, i realy hope that punk goes to jail.

4. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Sony haven't fixed anything. The latest firmware served no purpose but to stop the CFW people from going online but they found a way around that within a day. At the moment all they have to do is install a single package and voila, back online with 3.55 CFW.

5. Cindax

I know what you mean DH and I own a console for similar reasons but I am curious why you can blame the guy the cracked the console?

As I am seeing the situation, he has modified something that he owns and shown other people how to do it and to the best of my knowledge, showing someone how to do something is not illegal nor is doing it to something that you own, even if it is inherently an illegal act.

Its like knowing how to build a bomb/gun or owning drug use/trade equipment, these things are not illegal in their own right and neither should hacking a console be any different imo.

6. Dragonhammer

Yes, you own the console its yours to do with what you please.
    You can make a skateboard of it and Sony doesn't care.

But you DO NOT own the software on it, its al written in the legal information that no one bothers to read and just accepts.
    So if you hack the software and start spreading it to facilitate pirating and cheating then you have a big problem with the law.

7. Cindax

Agreed,
    I figure where our opinion differs is in the moral application of the End User License Agreement. Im in the camp that consideres breaking the EULA is not the same as breaking a law and I'm perfectly willing to void warranties or be banned from the playstation network if I chose to mod a PS but I also 'know' that there is no law (or should not be) that says I cant modify my console in any way I choose.

For the record I realise the law is changing to reflect the corporate agenda and modding a console is (becoming) illegal however I strongly oppose this agenda, hence my opinions :?

Its interesting to hear others thoughts on the subject and im glad your sharing your opinions. :)

FYI: A large part of the reason I am so offended by this legal action and the Judge signing of on this, is the gross violation of civil liberty for anyone who viewed the sites in question..
    a) Visiting this site or investigating the process involved and choosing to jailbreak your console are very different things and sony has no rights to know who chose to look.
    b) Criminals and Sex offenders have their privacy more rigorously protected from discovery than the people who are being identified by this action.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. HanmaT

HanmaT Well-Known Member

Good Point Cindax . Maybe they should look at making the games disks more copy proof and leave the console alone .

9. Squiz

Squiz Retired Moderator

Great conversation guys, just please make sure we donot open the discussion of how and where to find this type of software...

cheers

squiz

10. Dragonhammer

I agree the requests for all IP adresses is way over the top and shoulden't be allowed.
    But i relate to the zeal at wich Sony hunts down these punks.

As you may probably know but gaming is in dire straits.
    The general consensus is that if you don't belong to the big five you are not making any money.
    On the other hand they see facebook games like farmville making tons of money with 72 million acounts.
    So the big company's are wondering why bother investing millions into a triple A title when you can make a simple browser game and cash in.
    If pirating on the console becomes as big of a problem as it is on the PC then its literally game over.

11. Player One

Player One Getting Started

Over my years of pc gaming ive had very little experence of people hacking or cheating etc its nowhere near as much as people like to think. Also consoles have been hacked/chipped etc for years so not really tamper proof. changing the subject a little, but programs like steam and gfwl have cut down quite a bit of pc piracy, steam especially with there regular offers, and cheap deals on games i would never normally buy. I've got a hell of a backlog of games I need to finish before I even think of buying/downloading any new games. and buy the time I do ill have enough spare cash floating about to buy new games. its an on going circle.

12. Moowart

Moowart Just Joined

I agree with those who call corporate agenda,( really no different to the Apple iphone/ipad argument). I know of sites that offer cheats for Farmville, will I eventually be penalized for visiting these sites even though I don't play it? There will always be dopes who exploit technology for cheating. This is inevitable.. Perhaps they should focus on quality games rather then graphics or in game walk throughs, they should make gaming at a reasonable cost and open up their source codes to make it easier for new developers. Instead of invading our privacy, maybe just maybe gaming might make a come back. After-all, when gaming was fresh and new, wasn't it the variety, quality and low costs of games that kept us coming back?

13. Pure Mongrel

The implications of this could be greater.

This could be precedence to getting IP information from file sharing sites or even forums that could have a link (imagined or otherwise) in anyway to piracy.

The site itself does not need to condone piracy, just the fact that a member mentioned something about modding, home brew, etc.

TOG easily falls under that category. While no one here condones illegal actions, many threads have discussed jail breaking phones, modding consoles, sites that offer modding services, etc. In other words the leap to some corporation getting all out IP addresses is not as big as one might think.

Heck, YOUTUBE has mod videos, etc. Who here has not visited YOUTUBE?

I have no issue with SONY chasing down pirates at all, but I do fear the implications this lawsuit may hold for the future.

14. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Getting Started

Yea, in that effect I would worry too. But I do hope that Hotz hacker idiot who opened up Ps3 gets majorly messed up.

15. Ulric

Ulric Consider a Can Opener Advisory Admin

The core issue here is the rights of people to modify what they purchase, and the rights of people to protect their property.

The simple issue here is that Sony offer a product to the market. This product comes with some restrictions on how it and the software running on it will be used.

This is not hidden from the purchaser.

So when you purchase a unit, you do so knowing these limitations. There is no forcing the consumer to purchase, and there are alternative products.

As such I believe it is fair and reasonable to restrict people from modifying the software in ways that are against the licence agreement.

If they wish to write their own software for the unit, then they can do so, but to modify software developed by others in order to change it to function in ways that it was not intended is a very different matter.

16. Cindax

How would this situation play out in a different arena i wonder?

For example, you wanted to install new fittings in your house but the house came with an EULA saying that you can not legally bring building equipment into your own home.
    I think the builders would be laughed out of court.... until they became a billion dollar multinational corporation *caugh*

17. Cindax

PS. Can you with reasonable ease read the software ELUA's on consoles before purchasing them?
    Also will the store you purchased the console from accept it back after you have unpacked it and set it up but decided to decline the eula?

18. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Getting Started

Yea, From now on, Gamestop will have a computer set up with the up to date ELUA for all Gamer Systems that must be signed via electronic signature BEFORE payment, and then watch everyone's sales go down the toilet because once we actually START reading them, we find out how much BS is in it,((NO Its not actually happening, im being sarcastic)) (Which seems to be a LOT) but the whole hacker scene is total crap too, which is also why I don't mind ELUA protection, but it's forcing my brain to be torn between saying go for customizing what you buy, and yet still being able to play games in a LEGIT and friendly environment on a "fair" playing field.

19. inshokuten

inshokuten Just Joined

I'm not a doom and gloom person as a general rule, but this makes me question how things are going to be down the track.

How many people read the EULA of anything they purchase? How many of those actually understand more than a tenth of what they say? They are so complicated and filled with lingo bordering on another language altogether, and I believe this intentional.

Its a worry, but in reality what can one do? Jailbreaking a system is used for pirating, the same as torrent files are used for pirating. The very small minority who use it for something legit can hardly be more important than the vast majority who don't.

Then again, I am a firm believer in the rights of people to use their purchases for whatever they desire. If i want to play an NTSC game in PAL region, why must I break my EULA and add a mod chip to enjoy a game I have paid for?

Its a slippery slope, but its one thats hitting more than just gaming, and there isn't alot we can do about it.

20. Pure Mongrel

There is something we can do about it ... not give them our money! ;)

I see your point about Jailbreaking and Torrents and I totally agree. These function (for the majority) as a way to use a product or service without paying.

What really, really annoys me (though I would not advocate this as a reason to jailbreak) is the way companies such as SONY treat countries such as Australia.

We pay more in most cases for the same product or we are restricted by choice (and there by at the mercy of what I consider unfair business practices) due to regions codes, etc. that they implemented.

Many titles of movies and games are not available here while others are modified or don't contain the same features or bonuses that other countries have access too.

To make matters worse, many online services (iTunes being the prime example) are more expensive here even though the value of our dollar is higher, while others are restricted in terms of products available (PSN USA is very different to PSN Australia, iTunes again is a prime example).

Right now these companies have the ability to do this because we as consumers keep allowing them too. As consumer knowledge is growing, I for one hope we start seeing a resistance against these kinds of monopolies! :mad: