How many Bigpond customers and why

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Zlipzlop, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Zlipzlop

Zlipzlop Active Member

TOGgers

I'd be interested to know how many out there have bigpond ADSL accounts. And if you do I'd like to know why - it seems like appallingly bad value, even with the free datatransfer related to GA gaming.

Not trying to offend any Bigpond customers, just trying to find a better deal than the one I've got

ZZ

2. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I opted for BP Broadband cable cause the BigP ADSL would cost more.

Go figure.

Optus is cheaper again, but Optus doesn't have a 500 meg quota so that's how Tel$tra got my membership.

3. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

I know you're asking about ADSL, and I have cable....but:
    I have cable with Te$tra becuase they were the only ones offering cable at the time, now it is too expensive to change carriers as they need to remove the Telstra cable from underground conduits on my property before they'll install Optus or others. Optus are not allowed to run their co-ax in the same conduit as Telstra, go figure.

I organised ADSL here at work, but only because no one would run cable here (or in previous location). At the previous location I walked out into the street; looked up at the Telstra and Optus cables on the pole next to our driveway whislt on the phone to them listening to denials that the service was available. Anyway, chose telstra again; they were the only supplier of broadband at the time.

4. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Sorry Zlip, I can't comment on the Tel$tra ASDL ... I've got Optus cable and have had so for over two years. Service has been excellent ... can only remember one time I lost service and it was only to mail for about an hour. The only gripe I have with them is them bringing in a 3 gig cap and not having any free download sites.

5. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I moved away from the ridiculous 3 gig cap with Tel$tra bout 4 months ago now.

Best move I ever made, even with GA being free it remains BAD VALUE!

3 gig nowadays? You gotta be joking.

6. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

Telestra ADSL is the only one we can get here...No cable avail in this area :cry: We have not had too many probs with it but was down for some TECHNICAL reason once for 3 days... very annoying. :x

7. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

I live in a flat, and have had cable for 3 years+.

I got it because it was at the time, the ONLY option on broadband and at the time was reasonable for the downloads etc. I could uncap the speed wasily so that wasn't an issue.

It saved us money to do it on the telephone bill, and still would if I went to dial-up, and adsl and isdn are not options based on cost etc... I will stick with cable till they no longer provide it, or I die.

8. Flame

Flame Retired Captain

I'm and ADSL Telstra user. Absolutley hate the 3gb limit, especially when you exceed it and you get a really large bill.

I've been looking at moving onto a new ISP too.

I found this site: http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au which reviews everything about almost all ISP's in Oz.

9. Solis

Solis Getting Started

Optus Cable

All I can say to the telstra people
    (In my best simpsons voice)
    HAA ....HAAA

10. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

Yes I have moved away from Telstra's 3 gig cap too, but I am using 28.8k dialup :cry:

11. Defiant

Defiant Well-Known Member

Im on Telstra ADSL and whilst I know it represents poor value I never had got around to changing. Perhap's when the seamless churn process is in place I will look at it. The current experience is 1-4 weeks off line. I am very happy with the service provided, many times my bill has been reduced due to an outage that I have not even noticed. ie service garantee is legitamate . Also I have alway's found the latancy on there network to be good in the three locations I have had the service, while competitors from time to time have had issues judging by the forums on Whirlpool. Gamearena is also a big draw card and the free file downloads from GA and the new files server supply most of the stuff I need. Just recently I share my connection with the tenant downstairs so $45 per month is all I pay.

12. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

LOL@Mad. 3 gig must seem like a pipe dream now. :wink: :lol:

13. Melski

Melski Well-Known Member

I am with Telstra also - I have to agree with Defiants views.

- Good service. I have moved once with them, they moved the ADSL across in 3 days, no hassles. Also good with the old modem - doing mole tests for me when the modem died suddenly.
    - Game arena, although they clam that it's for everyone, if the majority of users weren't Telstra users it wouldnt be. Happy to give them a good thought for GA.
    - Pings to servers in Australia. I have no problems getting to any server in Australia, usually under 60ms. The GA ones, and NS ones are usually under 30ms - thats excellent considering I live in Canberra.
    - I know they well stick around.
    - It's actually cheaper than the cable here in Canberra which for the same price you get 256 (although unlimitted admittedly but its ping are much higher - >100ms). And well, TransACT's attitude sucks even more than Telstras so I stay away from them.
    - I started with them 2/3 years ago, no problems yet. It's not worth risking high pings and high drop out rates that other ISPs are providing in Canberra.

If I could be guarnteed low pings, high service, and a low price Id look into it - but I dont believe thats possible - in Canberra - at the momment.

Oh yes, I also have a Telstra Mobile, and home phone so it makes both of those cheaper when I am with Telstra for ADSL.

14. morte

morte Well-Known Member

yer I am still stuck with telstra adsl for the time being - a few more months of the contract left yet - but at the time I got it there was noone else doing cable or adsl in Toowoomba (still no cable here). I still have the 3gb limit (not that I use it - barely a gig thesedays) - have been thinking of transferring to internode after the contract is up - $79 for 4.5 gb - and telstra is $95 for 3gb - but really all I ever do is game with it so may be better the devil I know ????

Cheers
    Morte'

15. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Telstra's whole reasoning with the ADSL kerfuffle is that they want to solely and purely make money out of Telstra ADSL Wholesale and that alone. They don't care much if Bigpond ADSL isn't able to make much of a viable profit.

Telstra Bigpond ADSL MUST use Telstra Wholesale as it's one and only provider where as all other ADSL providers have the opportunity to utilise any of Comdinco, Telstra Wholesale or any other wholesale provider on the market, thus allowing them the ability to utilise the lowest ping time/lowest traffic/cheapest price for their customers.

So in saying all that, the basic summary I can provide is that, with Bigpond ADSL, if you're lucky, you'll have great service, if you're like everyone else, you'll get lousy service. Expect to wait over 15 minutes in call queues before you can ask any technical questions. Yep. Unfortunate thing about my job is that a lot of sites utilise Telstra Bigpond ADSL for their net connectivity and I've got to ask them questions, I have to wait. Glad I've got a headset at work now to save my neck. Same goes with Compaq and HP, but I won't go into that can of worms.

Myself, I'm on Internode. I moved house about 3-4 months ago and they were kind enough to set everything up for me prior to my move and all I needed to do was to plug my router back in and off I went. Absolutely NO down time - well, the only down time was what I had when the computer was in-transit. :)

It's great now that there's competition on the market for broadband access in Australia, but it still suckes because we've got download limits and cost wise, it's comparitively more expensive than what you could get overseas.

16. Delta2

Delta2 Getting Started

I've got bp cable 3 gig $87.00 had no probs, have set up ics so my little home network of 3 computers are all able to get on the net. Have had cable now 12 months and have never gone over 2.4 gig a month.

never had any probs either Touch wood :)

17. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Am I the only one with a 500 meg limit?

And I've exceeded it once only whilst making that damned recruitment movie (ie ftping big files).

Am I the only one ...

18. HellDad

HellDad Well-Known Member

Very similar story here at the HellDad residence. Except I stopped using ICS and forked out for a LinkSys 4-port switch/router (I think they're less than $200 now). We have very few problems now. There was a period of crap when Bigpond changed the way the cable heartbeat works, and my router could no longer handle the logon, but I got reasonably good support from the importer - I think they used me as a test site for a while, and eventually released an update that fixed it.

We have gone very close to the 3Gb cap a couple of times - that's due to my son playing TribesII and my occasional BF trips outside GA. To give Vishus credit, he watches the cap closely and lays off his gaming when it starts to groan. I should own up to the fact that I get a staff discount off the $87 :oops: - and if/when that arrangement ceases I'll be shopping around.

19. SnakeTails

SnakeTails Well-Known Member

I have Optus cable, wouldn't go near Telstra cause of their crappy help way back in the BBS days when I rang and complained that after a rain storm, I said there was water in the phone pit, they said it was my tough luck.

Now with Optus cable, I have it going into my Linux firewall then 3 computers here (1 on coax, not running UTP 2 through a 100-base switch) and a 56k modem that my brothers dial into to use t, andhe Internet and soon my gf will use too ;o)

Both of my brothers life out past Dandynong (Vic) and are too far from a exchange for ADSL, and a new estate so nop cable either...

Paul's work (Moorabbin) cannot get Cable in the factory block, and ADSL too far fromexchange, even knowing that the web site said it was available...

So, now he is setting up a wireless link that "supposedely" connects through your ADSL modem....

20. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

I dunno how you manage on 500MB Fox. :? It's only the 10th of the month and I've already hit that ... and that's without really downloading much stuff at all! 8O Something tells me though that Optus is now counting uploads. :roll:

I would be happy if they brought out a 1.5GB plan ... that'd probably suit me better. But at the end of the day at least Optus don't charge if you go over the cap ... unlike those other money gobbling bastards. :x