How many Bigpond customers and why

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Zlipzlop, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Defiant

Defiant Well-Known Member

Yeh its a bastard when you go over. I once forgot winmx was running in the background and went to work remembering only when I got to the office. Unfortunately going home was not an option and nobody was there to turn it off. 1.5gb was used of my free cap and a bill for $220 was on its way in no time :(

2. aNiMaL

aNiMaL Getting Started

I'm with BPA cable an have had no real complaints.

Mind you the main reason I am still with BPA is because of GameArena. Nothing like free downloads and gaming. In saying that though, if the meg free gameaGe was to stop then I would be outa there quick smart.

3. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

iiNet is increasing it's cap next month free of charge.

10 gig peak, 6 gig of peak

So that's 16 gig for 79 bucks, and if ur with an other ISP you can churn to them.

I had some probs with iiNet the last few months, their pings had gone to hell in Victoria but that seems to be fixed.
    This deal certainly buts a good spin on em again.

At the moment I am shaped though, I downloaded 6048 MB in off peak, 48 megs over and I'm shaped till the 21st, aaargh!

My own fault! :oops:

4. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

:?: Do iiNet charge once you go over the limit and if so, how much?

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Getting Started

The churn is now available. Its taking only a few hours to a few days to change from one provider to another. if you can get telstra ADSL you can get nearly every other ISP. Both Netspace and Internode are offering free transfers from Big Pond (and other) ISPs at least for this month. Those two are both well proven companies offering good support and far far better $$$ than Telstra.
    ie Netspace 512/128 plan 6G peak another 6 offpeak download per month. If you manage to use that up no excess charge but speed dropped to 72 kbs for reamainder of month Cost $69.95 month. check out www.broadbandchoice.com.au for others.

If you are thinking about changing ISP now is the time with generally no setup costs atm. Check out http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ and see what the people who are with the ISPs already are saying.

6. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

nope they dont charge, they bring yoru speed down to 72K

Amazingly I can still play SWG withouth problems, even PlanetSide
    But BF is a goner, that game must have terrible netcode in comp

7. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Well-Known Member

I am with Bigpond Cable. Mrs Reaper and I like to play the same game online at the same time so I have the modem and 2 pc's hooked up to a 4 port switch. We pay an extra $11 per month for a second IP address that allows us to play the same online game at the same time whilst sharing the modem via the switch. ICS or a router will often not work in this scenario so we are glad that Telstra offers this option.

Service was ordinary 3 years ago when I had it installed but there was no other choice back then. Now service is fine and pings to GA servers are excellent (I often get a ping of 7 in BF1942 and comments from players that I must be sitting next to the server!).

Overall we are very happy though we wouldnt mind a cheaper price - works out at $87 for 3gb cap + $11 for the 2nd IP address.

8. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Interesting info there Pseudo...

Just to entice you guys off the dead-pan Telstra ADSL a bit more though. The incentive is that although you get "free" data from anything GA related, the hook to getting a provider that will answer your helpdesk calls within 2 minutes of calling is that you will also get additional data on your cap.

Being a techie, the switch from Telstra ADSL to another provider's ADSL service isn't hard at all. All it takes is the change in authentication as the pointer to the service provider is done at the exchange end. You'll be able to use your existing modems to connect to the new ISP.

Pseudo and my Internode offers free downloads also - not as much as GA mind you, but still free. However, it's my opinion that, even though I don't get as many free downloads and gaming is not free for me, my 1500 additional megabytes per month more than make up for it. (I thought of waiting for Internode to drop in the Battle of Britain map onto their free servers before downloading it, but I thought, what the hey - I've got all this data cap that I don't ever really use... AusGamers, here I come!) In addition, Telstra are the only ones that I know of who charge uploads.

My ping times to GA are around the 50-70 mark most of the time and it doesn't seem to affect my gaming (maybe it's because I'm just bad all round. ;):oops: that's why I don't notice it effecting me.)

9. Bunyip67

Bunyip67 Getting Started

I am stuck with Murky Puddle ADSL on contract atm. Got it installed in a Telstra $100 off promo. Not much else on offer for where I am and I'm also on the 1GB cap for this month. I changed over to 3GB for next month which should help ... but am looking forward to when the contract ends in a year. By that time hopefully there will be cheaper and better offers around in this neck of the woods. With SWG it looks like I'll be forking out a bit at the end of this month ... greedy Ziggy!!! :evil:

10. Melski

Melski Well-Known Member

Telstra charges for uploads because its the only ISP that permits servers on it's next work... all other providers don't permit servers. Having said that I've never heard of anyone getting caught.

11. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure Optus removed that condition from their AUP.

12. ozivillan

ozivillan Well-Known Member

my only option was telstra cable through my foxtel connection, has been problem free up until the last week when my pings have doubled on most servers
    ;p

13. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

But Optus have blocked port 80.

14. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I have the Telstra ADSL 5 gig plan. I was on 3 gig for the first month, but I used that up pretty quick so changed for the next. Right now I have 129mb left for the month. I chose it because I was just coming off Telstra dial up and since I had so many things linked with my telstra email, I didn't want to have to change details everywhere. Granted I could have just kept a low cost dial up account, but didn't think of that at the time. I don't d/l warez and very rarely even get mp3s (try to get some TV series though). It's all genuine files and regular internet usage in the main. On weekends I have some friends come over and we have enough bandwidth to have 3 people playing Battlefield on the one connection at the same time and still get pings of around 20-40. Shame I can't have them using COGs with free usage as well since they can't get broadband.

There were some initial teething problems getting it up and running. My XP comp would loose connection every time it was restarted , but my 98 comp stayed stable. Manual configuration of IPs and all was sorted. I even got 2 free USB LAN connections, which have come in handy from time to time.

15. Defiant

Nightlife, I often have 3 on my adsl all playing on GA through cog's and none of it counts as usage.

16. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

So how did these other computers get signed up with COGS? We can't be all signed up on the same account and running at the same time. I can't even have my regular 2 lan comps signed in to Game Arena at the same time. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

17. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Getting Started

I created a secondary COGS account with a different login, (of course).

No problems having both logged on at the same time :)

TOG|Bazz

18. Defiant

The other two guy's just use their normal cog's login. You do not have to be a Telstra customer to get a cogs a/c.

19. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Well his cogs was getting d/ls attributed to my account and he wasn't running anything in the background. Go figure. :?