How many TOGGERs can we expect to play?

Discussion in 'Planetside 2 (Public)' started by MMOGAddict, Jul 17, 2012.

1. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

I spent a number of years playing WW2Online and the first Planetside inside one of the larger organised outfits (Sturmgrenadier) and am really hoping that TOG can also pull off something similar in Planetside 2.

We used to field anywhere from 1 to 3 platoons at any one time fully coordinated and it made the game alot of fun.

I've not bothered playing with TOG's FPS divisions before as after games like WW2Online and Planetside it was hard to play little static FPS games like Battlefield so I have no idea how many people we're likely to get playing.

I'm wondering if some of TOG veteran FPS division players might have an idea of what our realistic numbers might be?

2. Duckforceone

Duckforceone Well-Known Member

i'm thinking over 300 members on and off... probably a core of over 100 active every day...

it's free to play
    it's not pay to win
    it has alot of the best things from the other current fps games, and it's just bigger and better...

and i'm afraid i might even be underestimating the numbers.... :D

3. MMOGAddict

Cool. Any idea if we can pull those sort of numbers off could we get our own TS server? (2_Islands can you chip in here if you are reading (or one of the other adminy types)

I've posted the way I've run large scale Planetside operations previously here http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/planetside-2-public/443779-how-i-would-build-outfit-setup.html (it's similar to your idea Duck with a few minor tweaks.)

If you watch the video in my first post you can even hear some of the comms chat (just ignore the RP crap)

4. Terraphon

Terraphon Getting Started

If we field 300 members, I'll cry tears of joy.

5. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

MMOGAddict, I'm unable to answer re own communications server. I will bring your question to the attention of 303 (Lead Admin) for further discussion.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. Duckforceone

we might not need to have a com server..

i just heard during an interview, that they have ingame voice comms for outfits, and that they can create more sub channels for the outfit, have channels where only leaders can talk and stuff... :D

7. MMOGAddict

1. the quality of SOE voice comms have always been terrible

2. I doubt that SOE would have the flexibility of doing what I discussed here.

What they most likely have is CR restricted channels.

what games like Planetside need is a quick, easy, on the fly, managable voice comms system that allows for proper command and control. The flexibility of the system I outlined is it allows for ANYONE to lead a squad or a platoon at anytime just by having 2-3 keys setup in TS in advance.

Here is a vid that gives some idea of how the system works (the guy doing it could make it even a little more simple by setting a hotkey to turn channel commander on and off rather than doing it via mouse but you get the gist)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

I would expect at launch we will field somewhere in the 100 members area. 3-6 months after full launch i would easily say that number would double if not more.

This game is going to be huge for several reasons already pointed out. Free to play...but not pay to win. big advantage. TOG already has a vested interest in PS and I imagine that a lot of the core players from back in the day will return to check this game out.

Last and certainly not least TOG always represents itself well in all games. In PS1 we attracted the attention of several other outfits..gaming groups etc. I would expect this to happen and happen quite quickly in PS2. What numbers we may lack, we will fill with friends of TOG in game.

So I guess what I'm predicting is that PS2 will probably be one of TOG's largest divisions...very quickly after the game goes to full release. :)

Lots of fun fo sho!!

Cheers,

9. razalom

razalom Well-Known Member

Being a PS1 vet I am guessing invites will be going out soon to test the game

10. Terraphon

Terraphon Getting Started

Did you have a priority beta key or just trying to get in as a vet?

11. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkly Smile Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

Quite possibly many more then that. The BF3 division was much larger at launch and it was a pay up front game. Hell we had 4 (Maybe 5, I can't remember) servers I think at launch and at least 2 were 64 player jobs.

12. Derf

Derf Retired Advisor

there's around 20 of the old crew on PS1 now [even saw Da Bingers name there ] and i know of quite a few more waiting in the wings
    id say we will have a 24 hour presents from kick off with 1 - 3 squads
    Our old allies are back, Stonerhino has the legion of the damned fired up ,TOG and LoD always platooned well together
    i think your right when you say BIG
    Hell Father might even come back for a game :)

13. razalom

razalom Well-Known Member

Just a vet here

14. ThreeO

ThreeO Retired Administrator

The max amount of players on a TS is 500, I will have to find out the cost

15. Derf

Derf Retired Advisor

ok 303 if we break the bank hit me up for TS for this one ill coff up

16. MMOGAddict

Thanks 303, the main reason I was asking for was more to do the capability of having a server which allowed members to use the command channel functions as well as training the members to use such functions without it becoming a mess of people stepping on other divisions by accident.

Essentially TS allows a number of different levels of communication, whisper to channel which we are all used to, whisper to channel commanders in a channel family and whisper to all channel commanders are a amoungst a few of the abilities.

Also a channel commander isn't a channel admin, the only abilities they need in addition to what members currently have is the ability to turn channel commander on and the ability to whisper across a channel family / and possibly all channels. They don't need any additional abilities than those.

17. Duckforceone

with all the setup we are going to need, i think it would be easier to just have our own TS... but hold on the server until we have tested the ingame VOIP options....

18. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Sparkly Smile Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

I would prefer not to do that if possible. There is a lot of people I have come to call friends in TOG that I only actually talk to on TS. If we were on a different TS the potential to go "hey there's XXXX" will disappear.

The Friday night drop in's I have heard by people who are not even in the game we were playing had to be heard to be believed.

The TOG community and it's TS server is what I like about TOG so I would prefer to take the harder option if we could keep that going.

19. Duckforceone

well if we are going to have the numbers i think we will, it will not be possible for us to use the normal TS server in any way....

so the drop in, have to be for people who get the ip for either our new ts server, or people who uses the web app to talk to the outfit... as it's free, everyone can make an account..

20. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

I'll be more conservative in the numbers that will surge into our future PS2 game division. Say upwards of 200+ will sign up to our NC Outfit. Of those we'll maintain a hardcore contingent of around 50 members or so, including any Euro players with possibly their own game servers.

One thing to keep in mind after the Honeymoon Period is over many TOGers like gamer gypsies will jump for another game or not care for "Planetside 2" in the mid-term. I've been in numerous TOG FPS divisions and MMO's one's to see this trend play out over and over again.