I am coming out.

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Wayfarer, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I have to tell you something.

Some of you already know, the Captains and Father knew and I accidently let a few things slip so some of the rank and file know too, or at least have guessed. My mates from GX knew. My wife even knows. And Caitlin and Angus are a little confused.

Thankfully, the blokes at work don't know.

Anyway, when I first joined TOG a few months back I was uncertain how someone like me would be treated in a close knit society like TOG. Sure I knew you were (are) a great bunch of people, mature enough to handle things like this, but I was frightened you might take it the wrong way. Heck, I was worried some of you might even take advantage of me. I know it can get lonely in the trenches at night, what with the cold, the fog rolling in, the silent darkness punctuated by the ever present noises of battle.

And I was worried too of what people in the wider BF1942 community over at GameArena might say and how they'd react if they found out.

But I must say, after being here for only a short time I feel I can come out and make a small announcement about myself, that ultimately, you all might want to know. It means a lot to me, something that drills deep to the core of who I am. I know I can be myself here, because of who you are, and how accepting you all are. You just have to look at the warm welcome you give to new and different people to know just how liberal TOG is.

Well. gulp.

You know how I admire and respect Wayfarer? He is another GX bloke (who hasn't joined TOG; one of the few) and how he's a GameOp (and a darn good one) over at GameArena, and you probably noticed that I have made references to Way about what he told me about GA things? You may have even seen him in a server waving at his "friends" in TOG? Sometimes, I have joined a server with his nick by accident. We sort of "share" the same PC, so it's easy to make mistakes. And I think some people may have noticed this and started to wonder what was going on.

Well, um, how do I put this? I supposed you have all guessed by now?

Anyway, I felt you ought to know too, because the Ladder will probably start on Monday and we'll be working close together, in pressure situations, and things can get a bit close, and you might expect more from me, or be concerned about it all, and um just wanted to let you know that I am actually Wayfarer. LoneWife is my wife's nickname. See, it's not such a big thing, just a little something that caused me some consternation early on and I can think of no better way of...well...coming out clean!

There. I have said it. Hate me, larf at me, call me a liar, but please stop TKing me!

:D

2. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

Bugger that! TK'ing you is too much fun to stop now :lol:
    As to the fact that your actually Wayfarer....doesn't bother me, so why should it bother you, it's not going to make me stop shooting at you anyway.I've got about three different nicks that I use, most of the guys and gals here only see one of them.

I'd have been more worried if you'd posted a photo of yourself in an off the shoulder pink chiffon dress with 6 inch heels while sporting a weeks worth of facial hair *shudder* but this is nothing to get upset about.

3. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Erm... thanks Tri. Now you've given me an awful picture in my head of you in 6 inch heels with your flowing long hair and about 4 months of non-shaving growth happening.

Yikes! :twisted:

Hmm... LoneWife = Wayfarer.

Who's Wayfarer? :twisted:

Now that eases some confusion. I remember a few weeks back when we were playing in BoB against *AUS* in a scrim on the Internode servers.

I hear the dulcet tones of Dillon on TS going something like "Where the heck are you going Way????" Quickly followed by a "Lone! Stop driving in that direction!"

I went... Eh?

Now I understand. :)

So... you going to get Father to change you and all your associated posts through to your true nick?

Erm... do I say Welcome?

Aah well. TKing you will now be that much more fun. I know that whenever I see a [GameOp] tag in a game I go "Ooh goodie, I get to shoot a gameop!"

Now I can shoot a gameop and a fellow TOG member at the same time! Yay! :lol:

4. Py-or

Py-or Active Member

Aww shucks wayfarer/lonewife :D

How nice honesty can be, HOWEVER, you cant be serious about us not TKing you. that is a given in TOG! 8O :wink:

I have not joined GA but the other half did and i just use that, he found GA then through that I found TOG. :)

So what do we call you now? are you staying with your Lonewife sig or going to change?

PS Thanks for the bizarre pics now in my head Tri! :wink:

5. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

That's great. Who is Wayfarer?

6. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Hey Wayfarer (now I can finally call you that :p) - glad you decided to "come out'. As I said at the time, we (the BF captains) understood and accepted your decision to stay in cognito, but I thought that you'd eventually let everyone know who you were.

Hopefully we didn't let the cat out of the bag beforehand (we were pretty careful).

For those who don't know, Wayfarer[GX] is a GA GameOp who is well known and respected by the BF community (except Rickety who doesn't give a shit :lol: )

Are you going to keep the nick "LoneWife" here or are you going to go by "Wayfarer" now?

7. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

LoneWife, Wayfarer, Joe Bloggs ... doesn't matter to me. I'll still TK your arse anyway! :twisted:

Now get back into line and shine up those pick stillettos! :p

8. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Ok, communicating with Planet BF and people that play on Gamearena.
    I believe a 'Gameop' is a person with admin privileges over game servers?, and is responsible perhaps as well for sorting out issues between clans. Bright aren't I.

And yes, I did google it.

9. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

LW/WF, I need to talk to you about something...

PM on it's way.

And I am with Tri, why bother stop YKing you, it's just as much fun! In fact, if I see the LW tag online, I am going to make SURE I tk you!

hehehe

10. G-B-H

G-B-H Getting Started

No problems mate glad you got that off your chest.

11. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Wayfarer?

BF?

Game-op?

Lonewife?

;)

No problems at all, mate. Hey, I'll even promise not to TK you when I don't play BF, ok?

You just knew you'd get a response like this when you "came out" though, didn't you? ..then again, that's probably why you came out as Wayfarer now.

:)

12. Zlipzlop

Zlipzlop Active Member

Well thanks for the honesty trip Lonewife. I s'pose I better do the same -

...I'm actually John Howard, and I'm soooo sick of those friggin' cabinet ministers interupting my gametime with the crap they bring in here!

ZZ

13. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

ZZ - you can't be JWH. Your location gives you away. If you were really our height and hair challenged, and eyebrow enhanced PM, your location would read "Kirribilli".

:D

14. Solis

Solis Getting Started

Well JH If you sell the rest of teslstra I want a granentee that the serveice to the gaming community are increased.

farewell LW welcome WF

15. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Nice post, Way. :D

Glad you feel comfortable enough at TOG to take off your clothes... no - wait, I mean take off your disguise, your DISGUISE!!... oh.. too late.. :)

I feel confident that if the BF community at large gets wind of this, there should be minimal flak about it. Most of the teams out there have enough repect for TOG to know that we wouldn't lock you in a cupboard and make you do stuff to help us that abuses your position.

.. and likewise, I don't think anyone in the wider community would think you would allow yourself to get locked in a cupboard in the first place. At least, not for this reason ;)

16. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

You are worrying too much mate. All the SOF2 gameop are competing in the GA ladder in the Landed clan, and the community has accepted that.

Like Janus, I promise not to TK you since I dont play BF anymore.

17. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

LW/WF seems like the sort that would have "gimp" tendencies. :wink: :p

18. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

Dero, you're forgeting I used to do theatre aren't you? I have worn an off the shoulder chiffon dress.... no heels tho, I kept on falling over :) And I looked DAMN GOOD too, even with the effect of facial hair, motorcycle boots and a bike jacket thrown over the shoulder 8)

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful :p

19. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Don't worry about THAT possibility Tri ;)

20. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Don't turn up to a war dressed like that and everything we be just fine, Tri. :? :wink: