I am n00b

Discussion in 'Star Citizen (Public)' started by BaRRaS, Aug 6, 2013.

1. BaRRaS

BaRRaS Well-Known Member

So, ok I registered an account with RSI, do I need to do anything else or should I just sit back and wait for the game release? :confused:

2. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Technically, you can just sit back and wait for the release. You don't have to contribute to the game development and get a ship. Star Citizen will be free to play.
    When the game comes out, you can create a character, and sign up to be a crew member on someone else's ship and start saving up credits in game to purchase your own ship.

I don't know if you will get access to Squadron 42, as that is single player campaign missions. However, S42 does allow for drop-in/drop-out co-op, so maybe you can?

Marc

3. Silana

Silana Active Member

Hi BaRRaS,

I guess the main reason for purchasing a package before the game launches is to get into Alfa and Beta. Another thing is to get a ship with LTI (life time Insurance) which will be offered till 28 of November 2013 if im not mistaken. After this date you wont be able to get LTI on your ships, you will only be able to get monthy insurance with in-game currency.

I've heard of your exploits in EVE and the amount of Frigates you go through so LTI might be good for you.. hehe :)

Info on getting a ship with LTI is on this link
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...tings-prospective-pilots-do-you-want-lti.html

If your short on funds right now i guess we could do a crowed funding exercise as we have done for Zhul and ET.. Shrug?

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/star-citizen-public/504267-thanksgifting-star-citizen.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

Star Citizen will not be free to play. It will be buy to play (the Guild Wars payment model). You will still have to buy a copy of the game to play it, either at release, or by pledging for a package now. There's just no monthly subscription.

At release, it'll likely cost US$50-60. If you pledge for it now, you can pay less and get more (e.g. the previously mentioned alpha and beta access). Over time, as we get closer to release, the cost of packages will go up, and the extras like alpha access will go away. So if you're 100% sure you'll want to play it, and have the money now, I can't think of a good reason not to pledge now.

5. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

I recall seeing an interview with CR where he mentioned the one-time purchase ala Guild Wars.

The Digital Mercenary pack (which gets you into Alpha/Beta) is only $40 and gets you a basic ship - which as previously mentioned you can get traded in by an Original/Veteran backer to get Lifetime Insurance (before November that is).

The package also mentions Squadron 42 and Star Citizen digital downloads, so it makes me think you're pre-ordering the game with the package.

6. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

Yes, that is correct. I think the same is true for all packages available to new backers. At one point you could pledge for a package that included Star Citizen without Squadron 42, but that seems to have gone away. The cheapest $30 package does not include Alpha and Beta access, so go for the $40 one if you want that.

7. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Or talk to an original backer who can get you the $30 package for $35 which will include alpha/beta as well as have LTI.

8. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

I think many people are just finding the game and might get a bit put off by the pricing and terms.

This is going to be around a $60 game. As people pointed out it's going to be the GW price model and I think that's a good way for them to go. I actually think prices are going up in Nov.

Here is the personal reason I put money in so early. Chris Roberts made some of the best space games ever. The only other single player space game I like more is the X series. Now Chris stopped making games for a few years. The reason is he got tired of getting the shaft by big publishers. His goal with this game is to get as much as possible to be crowd funded. To date they are over 15 million. Now that is the single most amount raised by a company for a game prior to release. They are getting very close to not needing a publisher at all. They will likely use Steam and other digital distribution and just tell EA and the others to pound sand.

So if you want to back I would look at this post http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...tings-prospective-pilots-do-you-want-lti.html . TOG has people that are original and veteran backers that are willing to help folks get LTI and slightly cheaper prices. I know a MarcT is getting close to $1000 and if you go thru him it would help him out. MarcT is a stand up guy and has helped many TOG already. Send him a private message and him is sure to help you out.

9. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Thanks, but I'm only facilitating Gift - Reclaim - Gift transfers now. I hit Concierge status on Sunday when I purchased Zhul's Freelancer, and upgraded my 325a to one as well.
    If anyone wants to purchase through a paypal contribution, Bloodwrych has under $160 to go. None of the others who volunteered to help get people LTI have informed me where they are in the process of obtaining Concierge.