i cant log into Steam.. again, ....and again

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Gnascher, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Gnascher

Gnascher Getting Started

my password didn't work.. so i tried to create a new one.. i got an e-mail recognizing my identity name...with a new log in code... but it had a secret question box. i figured it was like ---- 'name of your first pet'------

but no...... it was, ..don't laugh, this is true,.. "what was your last password.??"

so i tried the one they just gave me.. wouldn't log in... so i tried again an they said they didn't recognize my log in name.. that they recognized less than 1 minute before..

so tried to go thru 'lost account'.. i figured if they lost it they could find it.. but they said they didn't recognize my email address that they just used twice

you cant believe the hell i went thru trying to get a game downloaded i had just purchased a while back.. i have 2 games in Steam, at this point that is 2 too many.. and i have another i cant download.. and i am pissed off because i vowed to never use Steam again after the last 3 fiascos trying to log in.

any suggestions...

2. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Some time in the past, you have contacted Steam Support and asked them to reset your password. Since the password reset process normally needs no intervention from Support if you know your secret question, the fact you needed to contact them implies you do not know the answer to your question. For this reason they reset it to the same answer as the temporary password they gave you.

If you no longer have the email with this temporary password you'll need to contact Support again.

3. Gnascher

Gnascher Getting Started

i reset the password they gave me.. no record of that temp password in any of the emails they previously sent.. the password i changed it to doesnt work now.. same thing happened last time.. they lost me.. after i bought a game it took way tooo much time and frustration to get it fixed.

i tried going to support but their list of problems dont address my problem.. o just jave up dealing with them tonight as from experience ti will take longer than the hour i have already put in tonight.

4. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

5. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Exactly. When you get the password sorted there shouldn't be any problems if you keep it written down on a note somewhere close to your computer. 99.5% of users probably remember their password and the remaining 0.5% that forget theirs probably get it resolved fairly quickly. I don't think your situation shows that Steam is a bad platform or anything. Just remember your freakin password.

6. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Suggested new password, "password." ;)

7. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I have a text file stored on a flash drive. It contains all the passwords and keys for all the programs that I need a password/key for. If I can't remember a password I just plug it into a USB port and read it off the drive.

It is also useful for storing profiles for those times when you have to re-install a game.

8. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I hope you encrypt that drive with a strong password. :p

9. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

Password on that drive is as suggested before - "Password"... :p

10. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

qwerty

11. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

Download Portable Apps and install it onto a spare USB stick. It comes with a program called KeePass. Put all your passwords into it and lock em in with a good password that you'll remember. KeePass will also generate passwords for you which I strongly recommend.

OR

If you have a PDA/Smartphone then do as I do and use SplashID for the same purpose. You have to buy it but it's not that dear.

12. MegaOhm

MegaOhm Just Joined

For anyone with an ipod/iphone/ipad, there's a version of keepass available for it. Again, it's payware but you can import your existing keepass files into it (and export them back to your pc, mac, whatever).

13. bidsync

bidsync Just Joined

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I actually use patterns for my passwords. Most of them are based on old drum rythems. I pick a start letter (usually two letters as drum patterns are two handed) then the pattern defines the next keys. For example:

zm, paradiddle = ZmssJeuu$7

That's just a simple drum pattern you'd learn in elementary school, dead easy to remember but highly unlikely anyone would guess it. More complex patterns produce crazy jumbles are just as easy to recall. Almost makes me wish I'd bothered to learn the piano instead of being the drummer... almost. We had the better cookies ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011