I went back to ESO yesterday...still not sure about this 'relaunch'

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by wetterimage, Mar 20, 2015.

1. wetterimage

wetterimage Just Joined

Yes, I was one of the handful of 'beta testers' and later early subscribers to the "Imperial Edition" of ESO.

I figured (since I've played the Elder Scroll Series since Daggerfall), that this would be a welcome change of environment.

Signed up for a 6 moth (recurring) subscription; got my free Horse, some other freebies (back when they first launched ESO). And started playing.

Aside from the expected technical problems (system lags, game glitches and a torrent of patches to fix them all) it went more or less the way you'd expect any MMO to function when they first start out.

[Fast forward 4 months].
    • I am frustrated bored to tears with the game.
    • Group selection was...an ordeal.
    • Dungeons were little more than vacant, one-way-tunnels (and very short)
    • resource collection was basically ugly (people often fought over rarely spawning resource nodes)
    • The 'Trading' system was....ugh.

So I temporarily canceled by subscription and gave up: Maybe give them time and things will improve.

[Fast forward to March 18th 2015]
    • A lot of the old problems still persist.
    • F2B is fine
    • Subscription model is now optional.

Question:
    Can anyone else cite any substantive improvements since ESO's Launch?

2. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

Well, since you no longer have to sub and own the game (ala Guild Wars 2 model), you can always patch up and check it out with no risk. At worst, it cost you gigabytes of download and some time.

3. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

To address some of your points directly, a large swath of the Delves have been redesigned, and the one way loop has been removed from a lot of them. Most of them have been made bigger. Even story quests have been redesigned to bring more immersion and life to the game.

I've yet to see any trouble with farming for resources. They spawn at a pretty good rate for me when I go out on my farming runs.

With the implementation of guild store fronts or kiosks, we now have access to several guild banks, whoever wishes to pay the most for the kiosks, and several good Trading/Merchant guilds have bought up the more popular and well trafficked kiosks.

If you are looking for someone to convince you to play this game, you're not going to get it from me. Only you can choose what you want to play, and if you truly are on the fence about it, I don't really want you to play the game. The pessimism will not fare well with our community. You will always be looking for the game to do something for you, and that kind of bias is really hard to convince otherwise.

A little about me, I was in beta about 9 months before the game released. I saw it for what it was very early on and saw how they changed a lot of their ideas up to release. I pre-ordered and purchased a physical Imperial Edition of the game at the high price it was. I have been happy with the game since the beginning and only had one small interruption in my subscription, which was due to me cancelling a credit card and forgetting that the game was on recurring payments on that card. I was out for around 6 days.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Elsalvador

Elsalvador Just Joined

As an avid TES fan for years, I had high hopes for ESO but it just never did it for me.

It's interesting; I play a lot of online games so the idea of playing with others is not what's turned me off but I can't really put a finger on what did -- perhaps too many years solo adventuring through Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim has just left a conditioned idea in my mind of what to expect from Tamriel that ESO on some level never managed to satiate.

5. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Played beta and got the imperial. I loved the game again its the TOG community that can be that needed supplement to games that are under going their release journey. I can't actually remember what made me stop playing, it was most likely work.

Some RL friends and I will be getting it for PS4 as I can see it being a really solid game for console.

Not sure if there are any plans for a TOG PS4 guild but if not we will be starting one anyways.

6. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

It all depends on the amount of interest, and the actual amount of people that will be playing.

7. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about coming back, GTA V has my attention at the moment.

One thing I'm really holding out for is the Dark Brotherhood.

Now that the justice system is live, is there any rumour or ETA on the Dark Brotherhood going live?

8. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

It's all in the works. Right now they have a focus on the console launch, but after that they're going to be pushing hard onto getting more content released.

9. for_mica

for_mica Just Joined

Return

I've just come back also and I'm getting my feet wet. I haven't played since beta so they've changed a lot.

10. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

Hi Thymos,

Thanks for the update. I might hold off and wait for that content to go live.

11. delushin

PS4 confirmed and taken advantage of the $20 PC transfer offer. Either way if I play till cap with some friends or play for 12 months $20 is a good deal.

Who knows the console release could do it good.

12. jac0me

jac0me Active Member

I think it'll do well for them, The Elder Scrolls franchise has had very strong sales on console for Oblivion and Skyrim so I think a lot of players will try it out based on that alone.

On another note I see the game size is bigger than disc capacity so will have a day one 15gb download!

13. Goffender

Goffender Active Member

I just started playing ESO. I never played any of the previous games and just now getting into the fantasy genre. I like it though. The magic makes up for not being able to blow stuff up, lol. Is anyone active in est time zone?

14. delushin

Tell me about it, I reinstalled the PC version over the weekend and it told me that I need 80gig free for the install!!!

I am pretty sure the total install only ended up being around 30-40 but it wanted 80 free, that is intense.

15. jac0me

jac0me Active Member

Hey mate, not 100% on EST time zone but guild is quite active in ESO yes :)

Drop by and say hello in the members forums here and if your keen to join us in game just list your name in the signup threads for either megaserver and we'll get you added asap :D

16. delushin

Yea I am still in the old tog guild on pc and the message tells me its no longer active, rather then fire it up I will save the experience of the changes for the console. Have watch a few videos of the beta and its mostly positive!

17. cowkiller

cowkiller Active Member

sign up again on the site a officer will send u a new invite to the wonderful TOG guild u remember and had fun with

18. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

You know that whole console interface, and controller support is coming to PC?

As an option for when you use a controller. The current interface will still be there for keyboard/mouse play.

So you could easily play something similar to the console version, with teamspeak, and with addons.