Idea: Frontier community project - fun!

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Fox, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

So I was thinking it might be good to start a community project on Frontier for kicks, giggles and fun. Something that will let the builders participate and the engineers excel.

Many of you will have seen this before

http://autorepair.about.com/library/multimedia/hhonda-ad-300k.swf

I propose that the TOG Minecraft division builds a Rube Goldberg machine

Rube Goldberg machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the idea, anyone can sign up or volunteer and then we are each given a 20 x 20 patch of earth - somewhere in the desert - all lined up in a row so that each of our squares touch each other. Over a period of 2 weeks (or whatever) we need to construct something in that patch of dirt that can receive an item from the neighbour on your left, and transport it to your neighbour on the right, whom then does the same thing and so on. If all the neighbours machines line up correctly, we'll be able to move an item from one end to the other without any faults or restarts.

It will require co-ordination so that machine's line up, that's the collaboration bit. It can be a simple water transport system. That's the building bit. It can be a complex machine involving redstone, carts and dispensers - that's the engineering bit.

We can each claim a spot and make our own cog as simple or as complex as we like. As long as the start/end lines up with the neighbours, it doesn't matter how we design our own little cog. I'd expect the full range of simple transport to bizarre and WTF designs. :D

Would this be a good idea? We would need some rules, such as time frames, border sizes, 'cog' placement (need not be in a straight line). If someone claims a cog and doesn't show then we build around them so the whole machine doesn't break. :)

Worth discussing further? What should the goal be? To move a zombie in a cart from point A to point B? To move a piece of coal? To simply press a button at one end and play a musical tune at the other? We are limited by our imagination only. :)

2. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Sounds great! Pity we can't update to 1.5 yet because the redstone update would add to the possibilities.

Sorontar

3. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

Yeah - the droppers and hoppers would make for some fun machines. :)

4. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

You'll have to be careful. If it takes to long, the item will despawn. That would be a bit annoying.

5. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea! I'm not sure I'd know enough about redstone mechanics to be able to participate, but I'd love to watch it in action!

Depending on how many people are involved and how long the line of spots is, we might be better to arrange the lots in a sort of square doughnut shape (space in the centre for viewing).... or a U shape.... instead of a line, because it will take up less space and if it's a too long a line, there could be problems with keeping all chunks loaded at the same time....

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the same thing that gets transported along though. It could be a dropped block that sets off something that sends a minecart through that then sets off a dispenser to drop something, and so on....

But yes, that is something to consider too.

6. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

You need not use redstone. Many of other options. Water, ice, gravity, carts ...

A U shape might be good. Perhaps non-participants can make a viewing platform?

7. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

I'm happy to grab a spot and give it a go - I can always ask for help if I can't get anything working or give up my spot to someone else who can.

So long as people don't expect anything fancy :p

8. TAZZROK

TAZZROK Getting Started

sounds like fun, if it was worked out right could make it go up and down

what was that 1st bit ? " I'm not sure I'd know enough about redstone mechanics to be able to participate"

yer ya do and as ya said it ya need help ya only need to ask :bigcool:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

:) I believe it was you who had to help fix my attempt at making Dewey's secret staircase!

But yes, I know there are plenty of redstone adepts around to ask for help from!

10. TAZZROK

TAZZROK Getting Started

could not even use redstone

11. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

So the first step is to find an area on frontier suitable for an event and then to decide how large each cog in the machine should be. I suggested 20x20 with no height/depth limitation.

An admin (or me) can mark off the borders of the cogs with wool or torches and we can progress from there.

Edit: Thinking further, I think the objective should be to press a button at one end of the machine and get a music note (or tune) at the other end. Individual cogs may use carts, gravity, water, pressure plates, mobs, items, dispensers, whatever, but I think the playing of a tune is pretty cool - or a jukebox even!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. Nuljones

Nuljones Active Member

This sounds cool.

A good formation may be a stack of rows, progressing in an S formation. eg:
    9etc

This would limit the height and depth however it could be done laterally so that we still have unlimited depth. The other advantage to a stacked formation is that it can be beheld from a single stationary view point, as well as limiting spread over chunks.

If we were to do a TOG formation, well, it would be awesome but nearly impossible without adding bridges and missing bits. It would also require a minimum of 22 sections/participants. :(
    |... ... ...
    | . . . . ..
    | . ... ...

However if we did it as 3 sides of a rectangle it could make for a cool swinging camera view (perhaps requiring a track for in-game viewers), and also reduce the minimum number of sections filled to 18. It would also reduce the amount of bridging needed.
    Just throwing it out there in case we want to make a TOG.

edit: lines added to T O G diagram so it formats properly.
    edit: ok it's still not great but you get the picture.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  13. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Code:
    |... ... ...
    | .  . . . ..
    | .  ... ...

Like that?

14. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

The TOG might be ambitious, as we may plan the plots but the shape and size of the machines will be unpredictable.

The 'S' is a neat idea and a good use of space. :)

15. Nuljones

Nuljones Active Member

True true. The TOG is nothing but ambitious - i think it's highly unlikely to be successful but it's a fun idea to play with. It could be made as a dice in space too which would be cool.

Ya Sor that's it!

16. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

[​IMG]

So what do people think about the circled area as being the location for the TOG Rube Goldberg machine? There is a rail line available for those who are old school - there is also a portal within a short(ish) walk. That area is mostly grassland with a few small bumps and dales. If this is a good spot then I'll start marking it out in 20x20 squares (or whatever) in an 'S' shape and post back with some rules. :)

17. Brew

Brew Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that is right by Espesh's Spleef arena and funpark which is a community use area, so this would be a great place to build it (presuming Henri and MD don't mind, as I think it borders their areas as well). There is also a road most of the way out there from spawn.

18. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

I realise I'm talking mostly talking to myself now that FTB is shut down, but for those that are interested, I've marked out an area for a Rube Goldberg machine. :)

Start at spawn and take the spawn portal to the nether.
    Follow the yellow path to the town of WoffoCarca. It's a bit of a walk but it's signed the whole way.
    Take the portal through to Woffocarca. You'll come out into our community centre.
    Exit the community centre and follow the signs to the Rube Goldberg machine. Easy.

:)

Grab a plot of land, put your name on it and build something whacky. Co-ordinate with your neighbors by leaving signs. The objective is to play a tune at the end. If someone starts and drops out we'll just wire around them - easy. :)

Post here if you grab a plot so we know who our neighbors are. :)

19. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I still love the idea. I just need the time to play :/