if you like ww2 air combat games ACES HIGH 2

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by max63, Apr 13, 2006.

1. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

here's a game that i've been playing for the past few nights , maybe some of you know about it maybe not , it's a free download for about 10 days , they have a nice website with plenty of info......
    http://www.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html
    this is the 1st flight sim game i've done so my pilot score is crapy , but i will get better....
    maybe if there's enough interest TOG members could start a squadron!!!!!

"cheers max"

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Is it a MMO, persistant battlefield? Persistant stats? It's obviously internet multiplayer.

Are there a million controls and buttons to work? Can I get by with just a throttle key, fire button and a mouse?

EDIT:
    • Accurate flight modeling of over 80 aircraft, vehicles, and boats from around the world.
    • Fight against hundreds of real players from around the world.
    • Multiple arenas with unique environments offer different styles of gameplay.
    • Constant updates and additions keep the game fresh.
    • Create historical skins for your plane.
    • Start or join a squadron for even more fun.
    • Participate in special events recreating scenarios from World War II.
    • Learn from films you can record and view using the Aces High Film Viewer.
    • Design and build your own terrain with the Aces High Terrain Editor.
    • In game voice support.
    • The most flexible view system in the genre. Tailor it to your liking.
    • Full, true 3D cockpits.
    • Customize your commands on the keyboard and the joystick.
    • In-game secure account management.
    • Auto-update in the game for all updates.
    • Auto-update for all new skins released for the game.
    • Free 8 player head to head over the Internet and LAN play.
    • Free 2 week online trial (no billing information needed).

3. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

all i use is a mouse , and number keypad.......
    the mouse left key is the fire , the mouse wheel is the throttle , number keypad is how i look around , it has auto take off , etc,etc
    not sure what all the buttons do yet still learning , but for the most part it can be simple or if you really get into all the controls thats there aswell , the best part it's free for a short while :)

4. brana

brana Well-Known Member

Quite like the idea of it as an online game but given my gaming time is limited I don't think that I could justify the cost for a subscription. /sigh Bugger this having to work for a living :)

5. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Do you have to subscribe? Can you play SP or MP on a lan? You won't get the persistant stat tracking of course ...

6. welshman

welshman Well-Known Member

I'd rather a one off fee for the game and maybe pay for all other content rather than a monthly fee(again if RL doesn't get in the way great otherwise you don't get yer moneys worth) I D/L the guncam movie (love the music BTW) and looks great and I love the old FS ( just wish they'd make a good WW1 FS)and I'm still trying to master the BOB2 FS ATM

7. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

to be honest , since i started playing the game , i can't stop....
    this has got to be one of the most addictive games i've played in awhile

you need to play it to get the real feel , they actually have trainers that will teach you to fly and shoot , all you ned to do is go into the training arena and ask a trainer....

8. quix

quix Getting Started

i'll be looking for you and jackal as soon as i get off work. ;) d/l it last night.

9. Bumbee

Bumbee Retired Administrator

That was fun last night. I really like it and being a jet mechanic in R/L, I usually find FS a bit boring and too arcadie like. But this one is fun for the ones that don't know anything about aerodynamics and it works for the more R/L pilots types as well IMO. I was playing it more like a game yesterday(first time) but I will play more seriously now and see just how R/L I can make it. The P-51 is kewl.

10. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

i would love to get more TOGers in there flying , it would be awesome to start a squadron

11. Slapstick

Slapstick Active Member

This looks like it could be very cool. I've seen Aces High advertised on TV and I've always meant to check it out. I guess this is as good a time as any; joining the TOG air force (air farce?) has been long overdue anyway.

There is no single player (at least not free), but there is free head to head MP for up to 8 people at a time. I don't know if I'm up for paying $15/month for a flight sim (I have lots already), but you can't go wrong with free and it should be possible to get some good furballs going with 8 people.

12. Slapstick

Slapstick Active Member

Ok, so I could get addicted to this as well. However, I've also come to the conclusion that I really need a wingman, or to be someone else's wingman. Going out as a "lone wolf" just makes you easy prey for the people that know what they are doing. I also need to figure out the game a bit more, like how the campaign works, what I should really be doing to help my side achieve it's goals, and how exactly the damn padlock view works.

If anyone is interested in some online action get ahold of me via XFire or MSN (fake_address@msn.com). The SO (significant other) will be away for several days starting Wednesday so I will likely be in the air most nights this week.

13. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

hey slapstick , get on teamspeak with me i'll go over a few things that i've picked up , we use the COD TS , if you need the ip and password pm me , or just go into the COD private area and get the TS info in the stickys , i'm on TS just about every nite US eastern time

14. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

Do you know if many people are from Australia in the game? I'm wondering if it's going to work for me here or be too laggy.

15. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

not sure mate , i know a number of people from the UK play and they do quite well , myself and Jackel are in the process of establishing a TOG squadron within the next 2 days on their site , hopefully i can get more TOGers involved to fly a few large missions......i have a TS chanel set up already or we will use their online voice coms , still working on the small details
    the name of the squadron will most likely be :TOG-7th Wolf Dragoons Squadron

best thing to do is to give a shot , it's a free download , and no fee's for two weeks , i've just signed up for the monthly gig since my two weeks are up , i'm still learning the basics to air combat and now begining to get kills and assist , i didn't realize there was this much involved to air combat , i guess these guys have it set up as close to real as possible , the landings and refueling/arming are a bit of a challenge to me , but very good ,
    low altitude bombing runs are fun especially in the attack/bombers
    give it a try , let us know about any lag issues
    "cheers max"

16. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I'm going to dl today and try it out. :)

17. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

well our very own TOG|Jackel is ranked 21st this month , his in game user name is Jac7,good job

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  18. ContraVersE

ContraVersE Retired Captain

This game is fantastic! I may have to break down and pay for it on a monthly basis...hell, I eat 15 bucks a DAY, let alone a month! I've been playing for two days, and am still a clueless idiot in the skies! It's great fun, though!

If you climb too quickly, you blackout...descend too rapidly, and you start to bottom out and see red...your hearing seems to vanish, too.

All in all, I could see myself playing this for quite some time!

19. CFodder

CFodder Retired Captain

It is a bloody fantastic game, if I had the monies I'd pay to play as well ... but with a PS subscription to pay for can't quite manage it atm :).

20. max63

max63 Retired Advisor

we now have a squadron formed:)
    only two of us in at the moment , the squadron name is: 7th Wolf Ragoons

we had a nice bombing run last night , was able to make the run on target and get back to the base without too much damage to ourselves , lost only 1 of our 3 B24's , 2nd attempt wasn't as good , choose the Lancaster with 14 1000lbs bombs , man was that plane hard to get any altitude , almost made it but was shot down 1/2 mile from the target......