360: IL-2 Sturmovik

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Zaxvien, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

Oh noes! The simulation mode too:
    IGN Video: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Xbox 360 Gameplay - Failing on Simulator Difficulty

Just got my inexpensive flight stick, made realistic and simulation modes a lot easier. Then I think pad works pretty well in arcade mode, maybe even better than stick.

EDIT: I forgot to knock the wood. *knock*

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Ok ok i know its not Xbox but this game just got a 9/10 from the Official Playstation Mag over here.

I really need to stop sitting in the auction house on wow now and start playing my console again..

3. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Show your console some love man! :D

4. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

Whoops! What I've done to my console!

:p

Ok, now it seems the thriller is over. That IL-2 thing is playable on a console. IGN (xbox department) gave it 8.6 overall and it's editors choice.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1020377p1.html

At least inexpensive Saitek AV8R worked with the demo in XBOX 360. I tested it.

I love these preorders. Keeps on attention. To fail or not to fail. I love RSS feeds too, sorted folders do a decent job scanning all sources on background.

Now I need to fill the rest 100GB on hard disk with Wagner's music and here comes the tailspinning ace! :D

5. Boylo

Boylo Getting Started

I put my pre order in to EB games to get the $10 discount. They said it should be in store around the 9th September. Am really looking forward to this one.

6. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

I got it, it sits here in the table but I accidentally just broke my hand, so it's a game over for a while.

What is the definition of torture?

7. Pure Mongrel

Hi ya Boylo, nice to hear another gamer is looking to take to the sky in the endeavor of air superiority. Online "Dog" fights FTW :D

–noun
    1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty. (The basis for most ISP business models)
    2. a method of inflicting such pain. (Reference: See "1000 and 1 ways to make your partner suffer" or "Turn your hobbies into your dream career for fun and profit" by Mistress Eve Illbiatch)
    3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone. (Enjoyed by Gimps)
    4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony. (Example: You want to play XBL, but your damn ISP has gone down during prime time ... AGAIN!")
    5. a cause of severe pain or anguish. (Example: Knowing that this is the time of year all the great games get released and you have broken your hand!)

DUDE! How the hell did you break you hand? What were you thinking? :eek:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  8. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

I was thinking nothing as usual. Nothing serious, but annoying, just too many hobbies etc, that are taxing to hands. So I have to wait. So boring. I'm happy I still can do my hobbies, oh wait...

Not a big number. *sigh*

Well, I'm an adult, old man, I can take this. Wait. I can't. :D

9. Boylo

Boylo Getting Started

Pure Mongrel i am looking forward to joining with other Toggers to take to the skies. Only recently purchased a XBox 360 second hand from Cash Converters (and yes i made sure it was made in late 2007 to avoid the ring of death). Will grab a 12 month XBox Live subscription pack when i collect the game, which includes the headset. So I hope Toggers will make their own team of pilots. I was in dial up land for the last 2 years so could only play Eve Online, but now i have DSL i can at last take to the air in something other than a spaceship :)

10. Pure Mongrel

Nice one Boylo, looking forward to catching up with you online.

Yeah but how did you break your hand? I have to know! :confused:

This is an emergency ... maybe your health system can sponsor you a helper monkey to hold the controller for you. :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. nudger1964

nudger1964 Just Joined

i love this gme...so much so, im getting it on xbox and ps3...i'll get rid one sooner or later when i chosen which to stick with.
    at the moment i have it on ps 3...i love it.
    the multiplay should be great, but its early days as hardly anyone on there at the mo...i guess thats why im rannked 19th in the online after finishing only one game lol.
    there is one thing that needs sorting. when you in a dog fight and you have shot the bejeezers out of someone, if he loses control and crashes it dosnt count as a kill. i would have got twice the count if that wasnt thew case, and its easy way to rig game results for those inclined. hope they sort that out, otherwise its really good game

12. Boylo

Boylo Getting Started

Hi nudger1964, yeah the game has not been released everywhere yet so your one of the lucky ones to have it so early. Rank 19 sounds great even if it is only for a few days :)

Strange that if they lose control and crash after you shoot them that you dont get the kill.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  13. Pure Mongrel

It does not get released till next week here in Australia (Thursday I think). Ok, if nudger bought it for both systems, it must be fantastic!

This is not making my wait any easier! ;)

14. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Review on Monday's Good Game got me interested in this :)

I got IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 for next to nothing through some deal on STEAM about 6 months ago, but never actually played it. I think 1946 is the original + all the expansions but I'm not sure, anyone know?

Guess I'd better install it tonight and see if I like it :p

15. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

Finally was able to play a bit this one.

It works, if one likes the genre. PC simulation people could dislike the devs dropped some options, but I'm quite happy with. I never remembered the buttons right for some of the PC sim games, so it's not so bad for me, - a matter of taste.

A flightstick works quite well, I'm quite happy with it. The game should be bundled with a stick, as it is so much easier to fly in realistic/simulation modes with a stick.

I'm quite happy as they did not forget people that have played sim games, as well made a game that is fun in arcade mode too. But it's just aerial combat, of course, so it obviously is nothing for people that hate flying. ;)

I love these kind of games because if there are good game mechanics and physics, everything one learns, does not fade. I have lots to learn about aerial combat, so I'm happy with this game. :)

ps. Pure Mongrel, nice new sig! :)

16. Pure Mongrel

Thanks mate. Binary-Ninja created it for me. He did a fantastic job!

I ended up buying the wolf picture from a Tattoo website ... and now I am thinking of getting it put on my arm :D

17. Boylo

Boylo Getting Started

I did receive this game and enjoyed it, but it did have one mayor problem for me. I dont have a large HD screen. As the in game words are so tiny, i couldnt read them at all without staining my eyes. The result, a massive headache the next day. Which resulted in a swift refund at the local store the same day.

18. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

Sad to hear about such problems with the text size.

Now I found a problem, the Aviator stick did some random things when playing, it became a bit annoying. I did read a bit forums around and found out some people were sending those back.

I had my own suspicions and after I accidentally started the X360 just by nudging the USB connector, I thought it was a contact issue, so I tossed a 1 meter USB extension cable in between, and it beginned to work like a clock.

The Aviator USB plug seems to be quite small, at least in the AV8R-02 model. And X360 has quite big USB connector slots. The extension cable helped to balance the size difference.

The game itself has been working better than expected. No big game breaking bugs. There's a lot of info in the official forums and the spirit seems to be very good there:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey - Official 1C Company forum

And there's even the developers answering questions and discussing with people, and getting feedback and suggestions. Well done, developers! :)

Pure Mongrel likes this.