I'm old, I'm new - request to join

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Sparklette, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Sparklette

Sparklette Getting Started

Hello,

I've read the AUP, the FAQ, and certify that I'm OLD. :wink:

I was in high school in the mid-80s (and have the 45's to prove it) and recently turned 35 (which sounds WAY older than it feels), thus confirming that I'm over 25.

As for my gaming history...
    Technically, I guess "Hunt the Wumpus" would be my first computer game. High school was awash with endless hours of "Defender". College was "Tetris" and "Pirates". Grad school ushered in the Internet which brought many years of MUDs. About 5 years ago a coworker asked me to "check out" this game he had heard of, wanting my experienced opinion on "EverQuest". *Sigh* I got hooked and he decided he'd rather not play a fantasy-oriented game.

I played EQ very devotedly for a number of years but after some unfortunate guild experiences, I wandered off. Additionally, because I was becoming involved with historical recreation (specifically, medieval time period: Society for Creative Anachronism). I tried to find time to keep playing EQ, but after I'd spend 45 minutes waiting for my guildmates to be ready to go, then spend another 30 minutes getting to our destination, another 30 minutes (if we were lucky) waiting for the previous group to leave the camp, to then begin our wait for the special mob.... Or levelling up my non-guilded characters, waiting up to 2 hours for a space on a dungeon group... And for either of these scenarios to fizzle as soon as a group member said "Oh, sorry, gotta go" and then immediately log out. Just realized it was a whole lot of waiting without a lot of fun. So a bit over a year ago I quit playing EQ. Kept myself busy so I didn't notice the withdrawal symptoms. :wink:

Kept myself busy playing many online card and arcade games, every once in a while noticing, hmm, as much time as I'm spending with these games, I could be playing a MMORPG. Then I'd remind myself how boring it was waiting around for stuff in EQ -- or how bad my wrists would ache after a long session of working on tradeskills.

So 13 months after I cancelled my EQ account, I saw a copy of EQ2 on a coworker's desk. I'm glad I saw it on the way *back* from a meeting, because if it were on the way *to* the meeting, I doubt I'd've been able to pay attention. EQ2.... swoon, drool, clap! It must be so much fun, so much ooh-ahh to be enjoyed, etc. But before I ran to the computer store to buy a copy, I went online and read some reviews... and thankfully so. "Not very well suited to the casual gamer" was the phrase that did it for me -- that and the rather, erm, robust technical requirements. I really want to enjoy an MMORPG again, but it can't be one that won't leave time for the rest of my life. So I did a search on MMORPGs for casual gamers and found TOG and lots of praise for World of Warcraft.

Off to the store I went, happily snatching up a copy, hurrying home to install it, and woops, how can it be that late? 8O I've been playing for almost a week and am enjoying it tremendously so far. I'm still having a little unfamiliarity with the controls, specifically the chat and camera ones, but I figure I'll get the hang of it soon. I've started up (so far) a total of 10 characters (different races, classes, servers) and have been enjoying running them around.

The bulk of the in-game interaction I've experienced so far hasn't been too top notch "R U really a woman?" "Gee, your boobs look big" and my favorite (tho not directed at me):
    "LOL@U netiquette isn't even a real word I mean come on you should be busy playing the game not correcting other peoples grammer/spelling sheesh."
    L'sigh.

Anyway, there's my introduction. I look forward to meeting and playing with you folks online. :)

-Sparklette-

2. Sparklette

Woops! After posting, realized it may not have been clear... World of Warcraft is what I've been playing and having so much with with.
    -S-

3. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

ok ... you've established that you're YOUNG (er) ... but old enough for TOG ... ..." etc etc etc .... :D

even if you are in Wow and not Lineage :) ... maybe you'll see the light and come on over to the most beautiful game around. WELCOME to TOG! Eventually, an admin will smack you w/the TOG stick.

4. Sparklette

Hrm.

"I've read the AUP, the FAQ, and certify that I'm..."

Okay, let me rephrase that.

I have read the AUP and agree to abide by it.

I have read the FAQ and think it was a marvelous read.

I promise to behave, play nice, etc. That sufficient? :)

-Sparklette-

5. Paksenarion

Paksenarion Retired Captain

LOL ... I'm sorry ... I reread what I wrote and changed it before you posted so now you're looking even older than me with complete senility LOL ... heh heh heh .... Good thing you're NOT in Lineage. You'd probably kill me.

Oh wait. TK's are my job. ;D ... have a great time playing WoW! I know the admins will be by soon to TOG you!

I blame my age ... which is rather more than yours. :twisted:

6. Sparklette

Hrmpf. You're saying I have to start playing *another* game just to give you the appropriate smack-down? Bah, like I got time for that. :wink:

I'm old and decrepit. Or maybe I just need to make some older friends so that, by comparison, I can seem springtime fresh. :twisted:
    -S-

7. viking

viking Retired Advisor

Welcome

Welcome mate :D

8. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

G'day mate, welcome aboard. :D

9. RAYNE

RAYNE Well-Known Member

welcome to TOG :wink:

10. MrBlack

MrBlack Getting Started

Welcome mate. 8)

11. Belta

Belta Active Member

Hiya Sparklette and Welcome to TOG :twisted:

12. Recoil

Recoil Getting Started

I had many of those experiences in mmorpgs...so i just quit playing them. Then I got married, funny how getting away from the computer helped that. Now i just play FPS's..alot less time involved...Anyways Welcome...

13. Monger

Monger Active Member

Greetings and welcome!

14. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Welcome to TOG, Sparklette. :)

I've just hit you with the TOG Stick - er.. I mean, I've just made you a member (same thing, really), so you should now have access to the private forums.

TOG plays WoW on Proudmoore (PvE Alliance/Horde), Blackrock (PvP Horde), Ner'zhul (PvP Alliance) and Silverhand (RP). Check out the WoW forum for more information, specifically how to get your characters invited to the guild.

Enjoy!

15. stanley

stanley Active Member

Welcome m8 :D