Introducing myself and searching for TOG Volunteers

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Samantha, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samantha

Samantha Just Joined

My name is Samantha, I am 25 and I have read and agree to the AUP and the FAQ.

I don't play online games, but I am very interested in TOG as an online community.

I am a PhD candidate from Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne. I am doing research on the development of friendships and social networks in an online environment. I am looking for volunteers from TOG to take part in some online interviews.

For my research, I need to gather data from people who are currently involved in a social network online. The Internet has become an important means of communication, and TOG member’s contributions would be helpful in gaining insights regarding the nature of online communication, and it’s differences and similarities to real life.

The interviews would take approximately one to two hours, and can be arranged for any time of night or day that is convenient. The interview would involve questions about friendships which you might have established online, the social networks you are involved with online and what these friendships and networks mean for you and your everyday life.

The interview will take place online, in a private chat, of which I will keep a copy for future use. Of course, you would be quite free to decline to answer any questions or withdraw from the study at any time, even after the interview has taken place. To protect your privacy, a pseudonym will be assigned to you for the final report.

At this stage, I am keen on gauging your interest in the project, and would appreciate it if you could PM me expressing your interest, or with any queries regarding the study.

I look forward to meeting and talking with some of you!

Cheers,
    Samantha :D

2. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Folks,

Samantha has been contacting me regarding this project she is working on and it sounds very interesting. So I have therefore given her the OK to put this up in TOG.

I'm putting this up as a GA to ensure that all people who are interested in becoming part of her research have the opportunity to do so.

Good luck with it Samantha!

3. Kimmik

Kimmik Getting Started

SHoot me and Gemeni met in an online game... and we are both keen on helping you out... just tell us if you want to use us.
    And welcome by the way

4. BeerHunter

BeerHunter Getting Started

Sam...
    I would be happy to assist you in your endeavor.
    I have one condition...that when your research is completed and written, I would be given a copy...I have no ulterior motive I think I'd just be fascinated by your findings...
    My schedule is a little up in the air right now but I could give you a 1 or 2 day notice for the interview.
    Looking forward to hearing from you, you can email me at trvlr508@yahoo.com or pm me through the forum
    "Beers looking at you kid."- to paraphrase Bogart.

5. FrogBoy

FrogBoy Getting Started

Samantha,

I have not gotten heavily into the social side of TOG, so am not sure if I am a good candidate for your research, however I do meet with my RL friends online and play with them on a regular basis.

I would also be interested in seeing your results when you have finished your PHD. Is there any chance that when it is finished we could have a read of it?

6. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

As Samantha requested, please send questions and offers of assistance in a PM - that way she can start a dialogue with you directly rather than communicating in a General Announcement post.

Thanks.

7. Bulgroz

Bulgroz Master of the Precious

8. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

Count me in.

9. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Locking the thread.

As requested, PM Samantha if you are interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.