Is TOG Neverwinter dead? Something better?

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Concord, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Hiya,

Just joined TOG, with a view to joining their Neverwinter online guild.
    However, I can hear crickets chirping in the NW section.
    Is it a goner?

I only recently got a decent computer and some data cabing put into the house, so although I'm a veteran gamer, I've only recently taken the leap into MMO's.

Am I kicking a dead horse with Neverwinter?
    Am I missing out on far better MMO's out there?
    The only other one I've dabbled a bit with is DayZ, but it too leaves a bit to be desired.

2. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I dont know how active the Neverwinter section is, so I will leave it to them to fill you in. I only played the game for a day and I wasnt overly impressed. Its a shame because the tie-in to the D&D tabletop game campaigns are very appealing.

In regards to other MMOs: yes there are amazing games out there, and a huge active presence from TOG across them.

Right now I can recommend the following:

Star Wars: The Old Republic - free to play, lots of TOG members active, character driven story second to none. Its a Bioware game, so if you have played Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic then you know what sort of experience you are in for. You will have your own ship, your own companions, your own storyline, all fully voiced with awesome camera angles throughout every conversation.

Guild Wars 2 - buy to play game, no membership fee. This is the ultimate casual MMO. Name the top ten things that annoy you about an MMO, and chances are this game wont have those things in them. Hate picking up and turning in quests? Hate that money and bank are separate between characters? Hate that you outlevel content and there is no point redoing it? Hate the gear grind in every game? You wont find any of those problems in this game. The list goes on and on. This is one top notch game.

EVE Online - subscription game, 2 week free trial. This is a game with a steep learning curve, where you may have to work for months to earn your ship only to have it all blown away in seconds when you make a silly mistake. It is a game that requires a lot of thinking and planning, and a vicious sense of self-preservation. If you are the type who wants a challenge, and who is willing to do whatever it takes to survive then EVE is probably a game you should try. There is no other MMO quite like it on the market.

Elder Scrolls Online - going free to play in another couple of weeks. If you liked Morrowind or Skyrim then you have to check this one out. Great MMO, where you actually get a feeling of persistence as you quest. For example, if you go in and help save a village, the invading monsters aren't ever going to appear back there again because you really did save that village. The people on the streets will thank you and cheer when you walk by in recognition of your deeds. Worth checking out.

The Secret World - buy to play MMO, no membership fee. One of the best MMOs of all time in my opinion. Great modern day horror setting, amazing open ended character development system, and awesome quests that range from real investigation puzzle solving to straight forward shoot'em up quests.

TOG has a very active presence in most of the above games. You should definitely check out some of the free to play ones at least.

3. Concord

Concord Just Joined

This is pure gaming gold! Thanks!!

Now to explore which one to start with. They all sound great!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Elder Scrolls online is looking pretty good to me.

It sounds like there have been a lot of improvements since it first came out, and getting rid of the $180 annual subscription is an important step. It looks the least 'cartoony', and the most open world environment.

5. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

Oh yes, that is a good one.

What I love about ESO is that you can equip any weapon and any armour type with any character, and that each weapon/armour has different advancement trees. You can be in heavy armour with sword and shield while slinging spells if you like. Crafting also does matter, and is not cumbersome at all to get into.

The only reason I unsubbed was because I didnt have enough time to play games each month to justify the subscription fee. I am looking forward to getting back into it. I believe the model will be buy-to-play though, so you might still need to pick a cheap copy/activation code.

Snott likes this.
  6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Black Desert Online Captain

Neverwinter was badly managed and through a series of very bad business decisions drove most of the population away.

They also broke the core mechanics of D&D ruleset, plus destroyed the class roles. Then for what purpose are you playing Neverwinter when there are better fantasy MMOGs on the market?

:)

Guild wars 2 have active TOG population.

SWTOR is better played as a subscription. Skip the F2P in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Hey thanks Pinkeh. I'm going to have a closer look at GW2.

8. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

ESO isn't really going free to play, but more of B2P. You still have to buy the game, but a subscription wont be required after the 17th of March. You can find the game fairly cheap, though.

However, there still will be a subscription option, which comes with many perks. But not paying a sub, does not mean you will be missing out on any current content, or missing any features like playing SWTOR f2p.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Skyrim was a lot of fun to play. I don't begrudge B2P.
    Certainly better than subscriptions in my opinion, leaching money each month like a vampire. :)

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Black Desert Online Captain

TESO doesn't play anything like Skyrim.

11. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Really? How so?

12. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I would say it is similar enough. Its not as open world as Skyrim. There are zones with loading screens between them. You pick up and turn in quests from NPCs like other MMOs. There are character classes that each provide some unique skill trees, though most of your skills and abilities will come from the general weapon trees anyhow. You can still play in first person. You can still rob stuff from peoples houses and get run out of town (I believe a recent patch just added this).

I will say that it is similar enough to the single player Elder Scrolls games to warrant giving it a try. You get to further explore the lore and the setting, and that should be enough. Here is a quick video and article from early last year when the game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udh4EDQ7vs

Elder Scrolls Online vs. Skyrim

13. Concord

Concord Just Joined

Very helpful once again, thank you!