Jackpot - Atari 7800 & 40 Games

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Ancient_One, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

When I joined the Navy all those years ago my old Atari 2600 stayed at home along with my old cartridges.

after the Atari 2600 gave up the ghost my mum asked me to help her replace it which we did with an Atari 7800 so she could continue playing the games.

Jump forward to now 40 years later. Mum passed away 6 years ago dad passed away last year.

While cleaning the house I have found in a cupboard the before mentioned Atari 7800 and 40 games.

What to do?

Dust off and play. Dust off and sell. Nothing with original boxes just the cartridges and maybe the instructions.

What would you guys do?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. kEv_

kEv_ Treasurer for Counter Strike

awesome find!!!

i wish i had my old 2600, but alas, it has gone to console heaven...

i would definitely set it up and have a play, if it still works i guess, will it run on newer tv's?

i'd only sell it if i could get a truckload of money for it, i have no idea what it'd actually be worth tho
    but getting 20 bucks or something for the memories and feelings it would bring back just doesnt seem right to me

3. Ancient_One

Actually I did find the original boxes for the cartridges and their respective instruction manuels. So far I have left it all alone but I should dust off and play to see if it all works.

Good question. The TV's do have a normal aerial connection but the signal might not be allowed. ie. analog v digital.

4. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    The collector in me is drooling over this, especially since I collect the boxes and manuals as well.

The 7800 I believe came out of the box only accepting RF as the only connection method - which is about the worst way you can connect a system from a visual fidelity standpoint.

There are mods out there for composite and even s-video for the 7800. Your desire to go through with it depends how much you want the increased visual quality and faith in your modding skills. Good luck!

5. Ancient_One

I hear you mate. We are even struggling with connecting the N64 to our TV at present. Not because of the connections but because of the picture quality on screen. Its sad really as technology moves on much loved and cherished games and consoles are left behind. What a waste.

We have a Mario Cart competition every christmas.

6. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

A bit of a thread derail, but if you are looking to get the best picture out of your old consoles, there is a great website to reference with regards to out-of-the-box solutions as well as system modifications:

http://retrorgb.com/systems.html (RetroRGB - Console Info & Mods)

Now, this doesn't specifically assist with the issues you have with the N64 and 7800, but there is a company called HD Retrovision that sells component cables to be used with older systems. I backed them on Kickstarter a few years ago and have their cables for some of my older systems. They make quite the difference. I suppose I could post up a thread on that toipc if anyone was really interested. It is probably info that I would have put in my (now defunct) TOG Retro Gaming Blog, but I can post it here if there is any interest.

EDIT: also, if you're looking for solutions on getting better image quality out of the N64 on a modern TV, I do know some options available, but we can always take this topic to PMs or into another thread if you want to avoid derailing this uirther

7. Ancient_One

No derail really. I have a few old systems and would like to try and get them to run better on modern TV's. I have read a little on modding but not sure I want to dig into the bowels of them to do so. Heard a few setting on modern TV's might improve the picture a little and cables might enhance it further. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

With regards to the N64, it can natively output via s-video with no modification needed. If your television accepts s-video, and the image quality is sufficient, then this is your easiest option to improve visual fidelity.

Beyond that, there are mods for the N64 that allow you to add HDMI support, but does involve having to solder and hack away at the system casing. In addition, Big N added a blurring effect on the N64 in a way of providing anti-aliasing. There are mods that allow you to remove this via on-screen menus, or you can use a Gameshark to remove this function as well. Taking off the layer of Vaseline that N64 games seem to be smeared with can certainly go a long way towards improving the image quality.

Finally, quite a bit depends on the television you are using. Many newer sets have eschewed support for 240p signals that the N64 outputs natively. Many upconvert them to 480p, and many newer sets also have post-processing effects that can introduce frames of input lag into the mix. Your best bet is to see if your television has a game mode which can limit the amount of post processing being used and amp up the response time.

Of course, if you really want to go the extra mile, you can always find an old CRT on the cheap (or even free), and play on that.