Joint Operations

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Father, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Briekin

Briekin Just Joined

Joint Operations is my current addiction... it does have SOME lag issues..but it has gotten better with several patch updates.. the only real problem with the game is there are too many snipers in every match.
    I generally spend most of the time hunting and killing the snipers.. LOL
    Good game in general but works best with Organization. Most of the time
    the guys just kinda run around trying to get kills.. I like the Advance and Secure or the Team King of the Hill matches... the Death match games aren't all that fun for me..I prefer objectives and tactics in my FPS.. hehe

2. BakerNator

BakerNator Well-Known Member

a game with objectives gives it another dimension. I really enjoy it!

3. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm having a blast with it. I'm yet to join in a game that actually bother with teh command view but it's still good anyway. Being the medic is great fun !!

4. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Updated my game to legit retail now. Man what a nightmare to actually get to a server. Reminded me of all the log ins for FFXI. Then I was getting kicked after 1-2 minutes in a server. Went to their help forum, another new log in and a 2nd password protection on top of that. No real help there. Re-installed Punkbuster and finally got an un-interrupted game on a US server (Int servers were timing out when trying to access).

5. wytefang

wytefang Correspondent Officer

Okay, having been a beta tester for this game and having a decent chunk of experience as a Delta Force: Blackhawk Down player, I'd like to chime in with my two cents about JO, if I may. :)

Overall I think the majority of reviews of this game are pretty spot on, it's gotten about 8 out of 10 or 85% out of 100 from most sites. It's a solid B/B+ effort all around.

The Good:

Nice Graphics, Excellent Weapons Modeling both visually and from a gameplay standpoint, Interesting Features (Co-Op!!, and large maps and the Commander's Screen which is really neat).

The Bad:

Occasional Lag if your connection or computer isn't decent enough but that's with every game, you always see people complaining about lag but a lot of times it's just their Internet connection or slower system OR they have crap running in the background of their computer that's slowin' them down. Smacktards still abound from time to time on servers and won't play as a team. The helicopter flight model while easy is also pretty disappointing if you, like me, think that DC and BF:V has an excellent chopper flight model. JO does not, imho.

The Ugly:

Lack of a 3rd-Person Zoom In and Out feature for when you're operating vehicles ala the BF1942 and BF:V series is just reprehensible. It's a total pain to drive a large number of these vehicles while you're in 1st-Person perspective due to the crowded terrain and clippy game engine that Novalogic still hasn't really changed from past games. When asked about the lack of a 3rd Person Camera Zoom Out feature they give you some hooey about how that helps prevent giving other players an 'unfair advantage', even though any line of sight advantage that could be gained is basically negated by the amount of time it takes to switch your view back, get re-oriented to the action, and start firing - all the while you're being shot at. The other 'ugly' feature imho, is that they (NovaLogic) still hasn't fixed the clippy/buggy nature of their games. Their game engines have more clipping than a housewife on Sunday with the Newspaper coupons for the local grocery store. LOL

NOW, here's the strange thing...and it's like this with every NL game they release, somehow, despite all my irritations with the game (and they're even more disappointing because in some cases these issues aren't fixed due to a concious choice by the designers using faulty logic) I still end up enjoying them to some degree.

I'd definitely be up to play on a JO team for TOG, I have quite a bit of experience with the game.

Sincerely, Wytefang

PS. These opinions are solely mine and in no way do I expect you to adhere or regard them as pure truth.

PPS. Unless you'd prefer to be on the right side of this discussion. :p

6. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Agree with most of what you've said mate. I disagree with the chopper flight model. I agree that NV have sacrificed realism for ease of flying but I happen to like this. That's just my opinion though.

While it would be nice to have an orgaqnised squad play the game (I am yet to see anyone form squads or even use the comander screen) this doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon :(

I'll stick with Planetside ...

7. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

J Ops is awesome! The only thing I can complain about this game is there are not enough servers up. I'm keen to play most nights... if anyone wants to join me in Ventrilo then PM, MSN or email me and we'll organise something :)

I've never had any lag either.

8. Scott_Tracy

Scott_Tracy Well-Known Member

I'm hesitating on buying the retail version of this. I have noticed a pretty big drift of Battlefield Vietnam players to Joint Ops, and have played around a couple of times in the demo.

First, it looked like only the Aussie servers would be any use. I tried a US server (ping of around 250) and it was like a slideshow.

Second, while I am right at the bottom of the learning curve, it seems a real team game. I got a lot of practice at spawning in, running for a while and being killed. I get the feeling that it would play much better as a clan group. BFV is better in groups, but playable solo.

If a TOG group forms in Joint Ops though, I would be keen to spend some weekly gaming time in it.