Just Cause 2 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Arep, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Arep

Arep Correspondent<br>Retired Advisor

Stop reading and go buy this game.

Ok, fine.... So, after playing the demo for Just Cause 2 a couple of weeks ago I grabbed the PC version of the original when Steam was having its deal. Well, Just Cause is a pile of puke in comparison with its sequel.

The opening missions teach you pretty much everything you can do in the game and soon after you are on your own to cause chaos in the island nation of Panau. One of your partners from thee first game has disappeared and possibly gone rogue. Your task is to endear yourself to three rival gangs in the hopes that they will lead you to him.

Your arsenal includes explosives, a large variety of firearms and vehicles, and a grappling hook gun thing. The grapple is improved in this game and is no longer a weapon you have to select. Its also one of the most versatile tools in your arsenal. You can use it to pull enemies off of their feet (and off of ledges). You can attach it to vehicles and helicopters. You can slingshot yourself around the island in combination with your parachute. You can even attach two things together...like a soldier to a speeding car...or an airplane to a building.... The possibilities make me giggle....not a little girl giggle but an evil kind of giggle.

The demo is available on the PS Network and XBOX Live.

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Looking forward to it, been a while since I played a good sandbox game. The first was pretty weak but there was a lot of potential in it, seems they put it all in the sequel. While I have no doubt the story and characters will be incredibly bad, the pure freedom and action the sandbox aspect offers will be brilliant. I mean, how many games let you do stuff like this?

Voice acting will likely get on my nerves though.

YouTube - Bolo Santosi

3. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

I might even look at this... the first didn't particularly interest me and I never bought or played it.
    Good Game gave it a good rap this week too.
    Single player tho :/

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I will rent it at some point. It probably would of been higher on my list if it was not for the magic rope idea, that kind of puts me off.

5. click

click Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
  6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

It arrived today and I gave it a good run, it's an absolute blast :) Shame about the lack of multiplayer but the SP has tons of content so should keep me busy for quite a while.

I thought the bad voice acting would be annoying, but it's actually so bad that it ends up being quite entertaining.

7. click

click Well-Known Member

Agreed

This game is massive. It's the most fun I have had in ages. Seriously it will take me months to see everything in the game.
    So glad I bought it.

I got the limited edition price matched from EB games (EB normal price $109). I told them JB had it for $89 (really $99 :twisted: for the normal edition).

This game needs co-op, it's the only let down.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Agreed "me too".
    It's the first game in a long time that I've pulled an all-nighter playing. Good thing it was a long weekend ;)

I have a feeling this is going to be the next GTA:San Andreas in terms of being a game with so much to do and see OUTSIDE the story missions, that it will spawn a whole new line of "stunts" videos on youtube as people find more and more crazy shit to do.

Yep.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  9. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I finished the main story the other night, took about 14 hours all up with plenty of messing around along the way. There's only 7 main missions, but afterwards the game goes into "Mercenary Mode" where you can finish off everything else. I was only 30% complete.

Mercenary mode makes things more difficult too, even at heat level 1 they'll be calling in heaps of reinforcements and choppers.

Also if anyone was wondering which version to get, the PS3 version has a video capture option which also allow you to upload straight to youtube.

10. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Damn you guys ... I had some money in my wallet and it was just getting comfortable in there!

Now I have to find some more money to live in my wallet ... I will contemplate how to get some more as I play this game ...

11. urgal1

urgal1 Well-Known Member

Played it and took it back to EB, what a crap game. Did not enjoy it at all.

My son was pissed at how bad the game play was and he will play anything!

Not trying to bag anyone but I expect a lot more from my games.

12. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

I'm seriously having trouble not playing this game. It should come with a health warning about causing sleep deprivation.

That's good going. I'm up to 20-something hours and I still haven't unlocked the 5th Agency (story) mission quite yet. Game longevity is very good.
    AND I have to fight my 15yo son off the PS3 'cos he's playing it too.

This surprises me, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Are you sure we're talking about the same game? :confused:

OK, this I disagree with... there have been several times JC2 has ellicited a little girly giggle too ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  13. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I found it for $59 (PC version) in a Chadstone Shopping Centre(Melbourne) gaming store (name of store escapes me, maybe gametraders, but wasn't second hand so a good price, they even had Bioshock 2 going for $49 (brand new).

I've had about 45 mins of playing and so far findng it a bit kludgey, the feel isn't right, and tricky to get it to do what you want to do first time. Not intuitive enough, indicative of a console first game then ported to PC. Enemy AI seems pretty crappy, as is shooting at them.

I will persevere a llittle longer and see how it goes.

So far about 3 out of 10.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. maggot_bag

maggot_bag Getting Started

lol, for me it's getting enough energy to play every good game:(

15. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Did you get your PS3 swapped over MB?

16. my_right_buttock

my_right_buttock Well-Known Member

I got it last weekend, took me a while to get into it but enjoying it a lot now. Really more of an air based game I find, the ground is a bit sparse. Good fun with a gunship :)