Just curious ...

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Fox, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I thought everyone's forum post count needed increasing so I thought I'd ask how/why everyone has the tag that they have. Many are from cartoons or movies but I'm sure some are made up and have a long history.

When I was a quake kiddy, I used Hot Fox not realising how feminine it sounded so then I just used Fox. So now instead of ppl thinking I'm a good looking chick, I get gay guys whispering "Hello Sailor ..." in chat rooms :x

Where did your tag come from?

2. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

I use to read a lot of MAD magazines ... pretty boring hey?

3. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

LOL Fox. Ingenious method but I'll buy into it. :wink:

Derelict.

Well, I changed my tag from Who to what it is now about a week ago.

"Who" came from when I was attending relatively regular LANning sessions with people like Solis, Mad, RedMan, Tri, and on the odd occasion, Cailith.

We played Tribes to start with and I never really thought I should adopt a tag. Thought the comments when you scored a kill or a frag like "Who was given a dose of vitamin lead" and "Solis was killed by Who" was a bit of a laugh. So sort of adopted it.

Then after joining TOG and playing in a few matches, I started getting confused when I heard statement/questions like "F*ck. Who is shooting at me?!???!?" and "Who just shot me??!!?!??!" I didn't know if it was really me or if it was someone else. Thought it was the best for everyone if I changed the tag.

I asked for suggestions, got a few, one Rickety mentioned that I should make it a derivation of my real name. RedMan came up with Derelict. I liked it. So I took it. :shock: :)

4. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

5. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I used to call myself Rufus, taken from an old TV mini series The Term of My Natural Life. I used this for quite a while until I found that it was getting to become quite common as I think it is a Final Fantasy character (never played any of them so I'm not sure if that's true).

I then changed it to Rickety as I was called this by the girls at my previous job in QLD. It is so lame that I've kept it ...

6. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I just made up "Cailith" when Redman, Mad and me used to play MUDs years ago when we were at uni. Used "Ninja" for a long time but there are a shitload of 'em out there.

7. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

OH GOD, don't tell me you liked that movie GD?

I watched it and cringed.

But for my name...

Originally, back in the glorious days of Doom, I used MinStrel. I played a lot of bards in D&D, even winning awards for it at cons, so I kept the feel.

Then I started going to a LAN run by clan Regeneration. Playing Quake etc. Well, the problem I had was one of the guys there had trouble saying MinStrel, and kept saying Menstral, and then others picked up on it. It was at this point I changed.

Needing a new name, and playing Quake, I was looking for a new name, when in one certain map, I kept getting killed, but only by falling into lava, if I got rocketed, I survived only to be blown into the lava beside me. Or I would lag and run into it. So some one yelled out I was the lord of lava, and so I became LavaLord.

When tribes came out, Tribes 1 that is, I decided on a name change again, but wanted something different. I liked Bear, as it is my favourite animal, and to me is like a totem, but for a game like Tribes or any fps game, it needed more, and so I added War to the front, and became Warbear.

I also have some some Smurf Names as well, for incognity play. One I thought of adopting for BF etc is Ordinance. But I have been Warbear for too long.

8. EnglishBob

EnglishBob Retired Advisor

Wasn't Cailith the name of one of the vampires in the excellent film, Near Dark ?

9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob Retired Advisor

English Bob was the character Richard Harris played in the film Unforgiven - an English assasin. Also known as the "Duke of Death" (or the Duck of Death as I'm sure GD will point out :D )

Picked it because a) I'm English b) Bob was a good 'anonymous' name to have on-line.

10. GhostDog

Okay, I won't tell you :)

Cool name though, regardless of whether you liked the movie or not.

And I thought I knew Cailith from somewhere... I think you are right 'Bob. Near Dark was excellent... Tangerine Dream soundtrack too.

11. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Shit, here I was thinking I'd made it up myself. I haven't seen that movie, I guess I'd better go check it out :)

12. GhostDog

Actually, no need, Cailith: The name of the character was "Caleb".

Still check it out though, if you like vampire flicks. It's a bit dated now, but definitely one of the better ones.

13. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Used to use, and had used, Calindor for a long time. Cal was a character of mine from a particular AD&D Ravenloft campaign that I particularly enjoyed.

Recently decided that it was time for a change, and so chose Janus - the Roman god of beginnings and endings, Janus the Two-Faced, etc.

*shrug* It's one of the less well-known of the Roman gods, and also one that they didn't blatantly rip off from the Greeks. :mrgreen:

14. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Well-Known Member

I have been using GrimReaper since I started online multiplayer gaming in 1998. I chose it because I am a Monty Python fan and love the "Mr Death" scene in the "meaning of Life".

Incidently, I was abused by a member of the BIA clan on SOF2 last night who claimed that his teamate uses the GrimReaper tag and that since he had it first I have to F#$*ing change. Not wishing to sully TOG's reputation I did not return the obscenities and politely pointed out how long I had used the tag and told him to shut up. Is there a GA policy on duplicate tags?

15. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

I dont think GA has policy on duplicate tag, also you can distinguish the two by the clan tag. In my opinion, just ignore him.

16. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

I shouldn't think so.

Your tag is TOG | GrimReaper

That's different to someone else's tag.

17. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

That's one thing I like about mine, nobody has the same one, there are some similar, but none the same as mine.

And Grim, if you have to make a change, and I honestly don't think you should, then add a MP to the front as in MP Grimreaper or MP-GrimReaper. MP = Monty Python's.

:p

18. Solis

Solis Getting Started

It was the name inscribed on my 12th century long sword. I use to be a medieval re-enactor. And solis was my combat blade - many souls were sent to the beyond by the light.

solis : Latin for the sun or the light
    It is also a derviation of the latin word solitas: alone

When I started gameing seriously I decided to bring the spirit of my blade with me.

19. Wokka

Wokka Getting Started

There was a line out of the song Uprocking Beats by Bomfunk MC's that went something like "wokka wokka boom". My GF started calling me wokka (i have been called many nicknames by her). I didnt mind the name and used it for one of my characters in Everquest. Needless to say the character became my main and the GF, not being a big fan of Evercrak never called me Wokka again.

I found out later when i was looking for avatars that wokka is the pet name for a RAF Chinook (Ghostdog with too much time on his hands)

20. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Getting Started

I joined TOG primarily to play RTCW and at the time I had always played as Festering Wound. I called myself that cos i liked the sound of it and I didn't want to adopt the name of some fantasy book character as many seemed to have done. Unfortunately as soon as I put the TOG| in front of my name I found it was too long for RTCW to handle and I showed up as TOG|Festering Wou.

I had grown quite found of Fester and couldn't think of any other pseudonyms i liked so decided why not Pseudonym itself as a name. Unfortuately TOG pulled out of the RTCW ladder a few weeks later so i could have remained as Festering Wound

Now when on the pub servers and i want to stuff around a little rather than play as a serious TOG gamer I change my name to Necrotic Bowels.

Same-I-Am kindly made my sig for me cos i cant do that sort of stuff. I chose the caduceus as its recognized as the symbol of my profession and the quote I saw on some US medical site and thought rather funny.
    Its right up there with another pearl of American medical wisdom "Air goes in and out, blood goes 'round and 'round, any variation of this is bad."