Just curious ...

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Fox, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

My orig nick was "Linflas" which came from the game Dungeon Master on the Amiga. I've been using that nick for years and years, never even came accross a duplicate.

Although I heard the name is Scandinavian in origin.

I wanted a new nick when I started TOG, and I needed it to be something that would make it clear that the founder and admin of TOG could be recognized by the name, I also wanted it to show a level a maturity. So nothing like "Master of Fear" and cool sounding stuff like that.
    Father came up from Thundebirds, which is also a show that only older players would remember. It actually even is a bit before my time.

PacMan was the other one I contemplated being a really old game but it did not carry the same weight. :wink:

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Getting Started

i grew up with thunderbirds, dont make me feel old Father

3. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Miss Penelope!

Thunderbirds were on as reruns when I was a kid. :shock:

Does that make you guys feel older? :wink:

4. SnakeTails

SnakeTails Well-Known Member

Ok, my first online nick was Max, this was after what my friends at TAFE called me "Max" for Maxel Smart, Agent 86 ;o) well I guess I finally found 99 ;o)

That was way back in the dark dingy days of OzEmail, those were the days of some serious LAG, you think of lag now as something that slows a graphical game like RTCW or BF, but this lag was on MUD - EotL which I played as both Yendor and Fido, sometimes at the same time in 2 terminal sessions ;o)

But I go so much grief when I used Yendor (spell it backwards and you'll realise why (for those of you who don't want to tax their brains too much, max time I have had for someone to work it out was a week and a 1/2) all these little morons E-mailing me and complaining that I had "stolen" their nickname and that I should not use it and let them use it just got too much, telling them that I was activly using it since mid 1987 didn't sway them, as they kept saying that the net wasn't around then *morons* ok then web as in GUI browsing wasn't, but command line was around much earlier.... late 60's era...

I then changed to Snaketales (as on my MSN and Yahoo) but a spelling mistake when I signed up for Optus changed it to as it is now Snaketails ;o) and of cource this nickname came from the comic strip ;o)

Yendor was also the nick I used on IRC and ICQ, IRC nickname was when I was on the net@nite channel with Andy Grace on the Austerio network, and won almost every week with the dialups, and won the first Net prize on Ugly Phils Net report, and on the first show for Andy G on FOX FM ;o) but thats another story, where when I rang up, I wasn't always known as Rod, or didn't always live in Boronia, I was once living (only for radio) in Queensland ;o/

5. Derelict

You've got a bit of a sordid past don't ya Snake. :wink: :mrgreen:

6. Voyager

Voyager Getting Started

Me and two mates started a "combat flight simulator" Sqaudron ages ago and we decided to use the names of an old class of warship (Daring Class) that we used to have in the Navy. The 3 names that they had were Vendetta, Vampire and Voyager. I got stuck with Voyager .

P.S. On 10th Feb 1964 Hmas Voyager was struck by the Aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne and sliced in two. 82 sailors lost their lives and it was Australia's worst Peacetime Naval disaster. I am proud to wear the tag

P.P.S Its sister ship the HMAS Vampire is at the Maritime museum in Sydney

P.P.P.S. I AM NOT A STAR TREK FANATIC!

7. SnakeTails

Star trek Fanatics should be shot and become Panza fodder

8. Father

I like Star Trek. Let me rephrase that, I love Star Trek!!

9. Derelict

Father... do you hear that Panzer rolling up? :wink:

The one and only Star Trek movie I've ever watched was the most recent one where they had two Datas. Well Data and B4.

I didn't believe that robots could have a middle age spread, but then again, this is Star Trek...

I've never watched any other Star Trek movie. Probably is a shame because this movie has pretty much made my mind up that I'm not a Star Trek nut. Bring on Star Wars Episode III! :twisted:

10. Father

The movie was OK, the best TNG Star Trek movie was First contact.
    But the TNG series are good, I bought them on DVD, not all of them yet as they are expensive. Voyager is good too!

11. EnglishBob

EnglishBob Retired Advisor

Hey father ,

If you are a Star Trek fan, they are having a movie marathon soon at the cinema in Westgarth. Starts with "The Motion Picture" at 6.45am on the Saturday, and finishes with Nemesis, at around 4am the next morning.

They have thoughtfully allowed a 30 minute break for dinner at 6.30pm on the Saturday.

Would be quite an endurance test ...

12. Father

Tempting, but I'll stick with the comfort of my own lounge room :D

13. EnglishBob

EnglishBob Retired Advisor

I'm giving serious thought to doing 1 & 2, and possibly 4 & 5 & 6 too. My one concern is that if I turn up, there will be loads of geeks in their klingon uniforms - that would kind of ruin it.

14. Derelict

I've been slowly collecting Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD.

They're producing more of the series faster than I'm collecting them though... probably should spend money on those instead of getting games and stuff. :roll:

15. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apparently SMG is leaving, and Buffy is finishing. So you'll catch up sooner or later. :)

16. Father

Whats' the fascination with Buffy, a lot of ppl seem to watch it. I have never seen it. It might be alright if she would be nude!

17. Derelict

I don't know what it is with Buffy.

She's just... dunno. Cool, funny, cute, smoking at the same time.

Show is good too. :D

Oh - I heard that there's going to be a 24 marathon on Foxtel some time soon.

All 24 episodes of the first season back to back to back to back to back.

I've never watched that show, but apprently I'm told it's good.

I've also collected on my PC as many as I can - the 80's cartoon, Transformers. :)

6.65GB worth of collectible data including:
    Episodes 1 through to 99
    Transformers the Movie
    Some commercials of the toys they produced during the 80s
    I've also got this one file - apparently it's a new Transformers series currently being produced. Called Transformers Armada. Got the first episode, it's not too bad... doesn't have the same sort of "spark" as the first generation Transformers though.

But it could be because I've just watched the first episode and haven't really gotten into it.

18. Father

Transformers, hehe, I still have some of those toys at home, this big robot that turned into a plane, cool!

19. Derelict

Finally!

I've found someone else who's still got their Transformers toys!

I've got a bunch left too.

Hasbro also seems to be reprising their old Transformers toys now. About a month or two back I was in Toys 'r' Us and I picked up HotRod as a collectible, of course. :wink:

20. SnakeTails

I didn't get into Transformers, not as much as I got into Neon Genasis Evangelion ;o))

Then there is Babylon 5 ;o) getting the CD collections ;o)