LA Noir - I am hopeless

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Milt, May 20, 2011.

1. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has started playing LA Noir.
    Cranked it up last night and I have discovered that I am woeful at interrogation.
    If anyone else has started this and is finding success in questioning suspects please pass on a few hints. So far I have accused the wrong person and missed a whole range of lines of questioning.
    My biggest issue is when to use doubt versus lie and pretty then again I struggle to pick the lies

Basically I suck...LOL

Help please

BTW not a fast paced game but I am enjoying it for that reason

2. Cindax

Cindax Well-Known Member

I havent picked it up yet, in truth it only hit my radar a few days ago but I have decided that this is a must have. The only question it $80-110 locally or $50 import and a 3 week wait.

3. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

3 week wait for sure.

I'm going to have to wait this one out as we are in financial troubles at present.

4. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

My son bought it yesterday, which was a surprise. I didn't think it would be a game he'd choose (you learn something everyday).

I've been keen on this one for a while. Milt, you're not alone. I'm also having difficulty picking between "doubt" or "lie". I might get 0/2 on one, 8/13 on another, so I'm really just guessing. Thoroughly enjoying it though, as the pace is perfect for me. Don't forget, you can see a transcript of everything that has been said, if you think you've missed something.

5. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I did not think it mattered if you were good' at this game or not and that you could not fail so to speak.

I have over 50 episodes of Law and Order on my Sky+ box along with X amount of Silent Witness and Waking the Dead though i doubt all that will help any :D

6. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

If you suck at it first play through, doesn't that just enhance the games life for a second play through?

7. DrunkenSailor

True. You will still progress though the game if you are not so successful (a good thing for me - average at most games). There was one point where I had to re-do an interrogation, so all you need to do is remember the correct path of interrogation (again, a good thing for me :))

8. Bra

Bra Active Member

I think Oomii is getting the game this weekend. He'd be good at interrogation because he's a jerk, haha. (yes, that's putting it nicely, lol.) So, he'll most likely be on the Xbox all weekend.

9. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

Im hoping that as I work through the game I will pick up the visual clues.
    If this is anything like real life my kids are really doing a number on me :)

10. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get how it works either.

Every time someone looks shifty, I accuse them of lying, and then I watch their reaction when I look at the evidence, but I've not got it right yet. :(

It's far easier to simply guess.

11. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

The manual says it all, look at their eyes if they are not looking straight back at you they are lying.
    If you pick the lying option you have to back it up with evidence.
    If you confront them with lying and they get angry ,then they are definitly lying.

If your sure they are lying butt you lack the evidence pick doubt.

Remember you can always back out if you pick the lying option and are not sure of the evidence, i sometimes do it to see if the suspect gets angry when i choose lie.

This is a good method i always close my cases with full marks.

12. Cindax

Cindax Well-Known Member

Got it, I told the missus all about it on friday night (before the saturday shop) how it was like a 1940s version on Law & Order (she is a L&O, NCIS fan) and she was welcome to play it when we get it but that probably wont be for at least 3+ week ;)

I took the prudent measure of not placing an online order until after she came home on saturday afternoon, anyway she had fun playing it once the kids were in bed and I expect from what I have watched that I'll have fun playing it during the week :D

13. DrunkenSailor

There's a manual???:rolleyes:

14. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

I have been playing a TON this week... I too started off poorly, and still struggle at times... The basics are:

If they don't keep their eyes on your during or after the answer: Doubt or Lie. Only press lie if you have a clue in your notepad that can prove them wrong. Lie's are much more uncommon than doubt's, so don't get "lie" happy :)

Truth tends to be pretty easy, just watch for a direct look that does not waver.

I have found that you don't need to nail every interrogation to do well at the game. If you are trying for all 5 stars, that may be different.

Good game.

15. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Love this game ... such a good escape from what I have been playing lately!