Let me introduce myself.

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Quant, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

LOL@Rogue

;)

2. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Hiya Quant.

You still in the stocks business....seems we are attracting a few of them :)

And Welcome to Cobra :)

Ignore Janus about the bingo night back there...we are always on time...it's he who falls asleep only moments of arriving :)

3. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

Quant = Quant fund?

this is great, Nick Leeson Vs Quant? :twisted:

4. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Only 'cause I get bored waiting for the rest of you old farts .. Zzzzzzzz

5. HellDad

HellDad Well-Known Member

Hi Quant - I saw you mentioned in the next Cobra war post before I read your intro here. So welcome to the squad. Check out the PenPal thread and give us your life story. :)

6. Southn_Comfort

Southn_Comfort Well-Known Member

Hello Quant, welcome to TOG mayhaps be seeing ya in Taipan

your cousin
    Southn.ity, also your second cousin on your mothers side "fig" and her daughter "serendip", and that one eyed monster Mr T

7. Quant

Quant Active Member

Stocks

I became a share analyst during the tech boom after I graduated with an MBA from the Melbourne Business School in 2000.

I worked for Intersuisse Limited who helped start the Tech craze in Australia by floating Davnet.

I remember very clearly everyone cheering in the trading room when it hit $6.00. Originally floated on the stock exchange for $0.20 a share, all the staff at the broking firm (from the secretary up) were able to get stock and were laughing all the way to the bank.

For those who don't know DVT's background, after the crash its price fell to $0.047 on 27 November 2001 before it got taken over later that year by the United Group.

The amount of money people were making and eventually losing was insane. Crazy times. :roll:

I left shortly after the tech crash because I couldn't see myself analysing stocks that people treated as if they were toxic waste. :cry:

So now I work in lower pressure job with a much lower pay packet outside the securities industry.

But at least I now have the time to play games again. :)

Took a two year break from investing until this july when I got the itch to reinvest.

My best trade so far was buying AMP at $4.91 and flicking it for $6.21 a month later when NAB stuffed up their entry strategy.

But you only get lucky once a year :lol:

8. RogueTrader

intersuiss?? Quant, we may know some1 in common

Andrew Mcwilliam? (aka Andy) he moved to Melb from Sydney.

yes i remember Davenet, I was one of the only few who never touched it.... (when DVT > CWO, u know something is not right 8) )

I can't comment too much on your AMP trade, (suffice to say my old man is still not happy about me 'forbidding' him to touch that stock) :wink:

9. Quant

Quant Active Member

Don't know Andy

Sorry, I wasn't at Intersuisse for that long. So I don't remember Andy.

Funny thing about the AMP trade was my Dad wanted to buy it otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I told him that AMP was a big sucking black hole and he would be kissing his money goodbye.

I least convinced him to halve the amount he wanted to buy. Which did save him a bit of angst when it brushed $4.00. I gave him the chance to average down his entry at $4.26 but he was kind of scared after my nasty talk.

Then the gods smiled on him and NAB came into the picture. I figured 25% was enough so I bailed out to NAB.

So Rogue whats your story? You a broker in Sydney?

10. RogueTrader

I worked at TD waterhouse (now CommSec) after I finished my MCOM from Sydney Uni. Then moved to JBWere with one of their postgraduate programs. )

funny that, my exact words to my old man was "i wouldn't touch AMP with a Pole stick" and now... :oops: all i can say is DAMN NAB to hell!
    funny enough some1 was trying to spin a story on WBC trying to get a stake of AMP as well at 7.00. Being only 1 week after the NAB ordeal, i found it quite funny if it were true, coz NAB can just turn around and make a handy chunk of profit. :twisted:

rumours are like woman, can't live with them, can't live without them... :!:

11. Quant

Quant Active Member

AMP

Dads are the worst investing clients.

My Dad is still in AMP waiting to bail at $7-00 and keeps hitting me over the head with the hindsight stick claiming I gave away $0.50 by selling too soon!!

I doubt that Franky will ever sell to a competitor to make money for his shareholders. After all NAB wrote off Your Prosperity rather than flick it to anyone else for at least a couple of bucks. After the amount of money he burnt in Michagan and other "Strategic Investments" profits are the last thing he wants to make. :roll:

Still if NAB breaks $30-00, I will probably buy some when it hits the next resistance level.

12. RogueTrader

I see where u r coming from Quant.

I am quite reluctant to trade in the market unless I find stories I like or compelling reasons to dip in. and those opportunites are rare. as well as that, there is an extensive list of stocks we can't trade and the 3 month holding rule kills any legit trading ideas...

good luck with amp, its only 30 cents away.... NAB looks close to 30 now...

13. Quant

Quant Active Member

Inhouse trading constraints suck.

One of the other reasons I left Intersuisse was compliance meant I had to put all my trades through Intersuisse and get a director to confirm my orders and like you said restriction lists too.

Which kind of cramped my investing style as I have shifted from being a long term investor to a shorter term trader (From Qual to Quant) :wink: .

My plan is to practice trading so I won't have to find a new job when they eventually get around to retrenching me.

14. RogueTrader

now u sound like Defiant (our gun tank commander)

15. MathXTC

MathXTC Getting Started

Hello Quant and welcome to TOG!! :lol:

16. thedarf

thedarf Getting Started

Welcome to the team Quant!!!!

Hope you have fun

Cheers
    thedarf