Level of difficulty for our future survival-world - Frontier

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Sorontar, Dec 1, 2011.

?

Level of difficulty for porposed Survival world - Frontier

Poll closed Dec 8, 2011.
  1. Easy (level 1) - hunger is barely an issue, monsters are weak

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Normal (level 2) - hunger will almost kill you

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. Hard (level 3) - hunger will kill you, creepers really nasty

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. I don't care, I just want to play

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. I don't care because I won't play on Frontier much

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

This thread is to run a poll about the proposed survival-based world - Frontier. It relates to the level of difficulty we want to run. This defines whether monsters will attack you, how hard they attack and what affect your hunger level has on your health. According to Difficulty - Minecraft Wiki, there are three levels of difficulty that would be relevant to us - easy(1), normal(2) and hard(3). We have been playing various of them on World 4. It is presently set at normal(2).

Easy - Hostile mobs spawn. Enemies deal less damage than on normal difficulty. Creepers will cancel their explosions after moving only a short distance away. The Hunger bar can deplete and will leave you with 5 hearts if it drains completely.

Normal - Hostile mobs spawn. Enemies deal standard damage and have standard health. The Hunger bar can deplete and will leave you with a half heart if it drains completely.

Hard - Hostile mobs spawn. Enemies deal greater damage than in Normal Mode, and Creepers will not cancel their attack unless a big distance is between them and the player, making the explosion much harder to avoid. The Hunger bar can deplete and will kill you if it drains completely.

So tell the Division what level of difficulty you would like for Frontier.

Sorontar

2. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

ps. apologies for the typo in the poll :)

3. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Voted for option 2.

4. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Me too. And while I could accept a hard difficulty, I'd prefer not to have it due to the latency issues.

5. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

As in you are afraid on mobs sneaking up on you due to connection lag? Or are you meaning something else?

Sorontar

6. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

We can prob count out easy, as Survival should be about fighting for our lives. Could start on normal and always churn it up to hard in a few weeks if the map stops being a challenge.

Would also like to see who can last the longest on the map without a death, a game of Minecraft Survivor for players who start from day 1 :)

7. DaedalusAlpha

Yes, they are never where they actually appear to be, so they usually get two hits on you before you even realize they aren't the 5 blocks away they seem to be. If those two hits are so hard that you're dead by that time, well... let's just say it's hard to defend oneself.

8. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

I loved the server on difficult when it was like that for the first few weeks, I can live with the norm mode but I under stands Daed's point of view, my opinion is he's wrong, but hey I am happy with norms

9. DaedalusAlpha

It's all related to how much lag you have. I don't know where you live, but if you live in Australia where the server is located, chances are your lag is a lot lower than mine. In that case you should try playing with my lag and see if you still think I'm wrong :p

10. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Yes, we have players in Australia, NZ, US and Europe. I don't know how bad the lag is in Scandinavia but I have had a bad enough connection through my machine at times that I suspect I know.

11. DarkDuck

exactly, Minecraft caqn get laggy and well that does make things very painful.

So while like I said I enjoyed hard, I fully accept and will like norm

Daeds stil lwrong though :p

12. DaedalusAlpha

Watch it or I'm going duck season all up in here :D

13. DarkDuck

pfft I might lack skill, but with your lag it's an even playing field, muhahahhaa

14. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Okay, the poll has ended. Thank you all who have contributed. The key results were:

66% - Normal (level 2) - hunger will almost kill you
    26% - Hard (level 3) - hunger will kill you, creepers really nasty

From that I think we will start off with Normal, which will reduce your health to 0.5 if you don't eat. However, we will still have events that make things a little harder on the server, like when I had the angry wolves mod activated in the final days of the Survival world.

Sorontar

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  15. Seriguard

Seriguard Getting Started

Any idea on when you will launch the frontier? =)

16. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

Nup, we wait on the Bukkit guys. But I am looking for shortcuts. If they take too long, we might have to try some. In the meantime, have fun on World4 and a small Sanctuary.

Sorontar

17. Seriguard

Seriguard Getting Started

hey I was juat currious. is everything on world 4 earned? or is there a mix of creative mode on there? also is Frontier going to be strictly earned and mined with no creative mode? that would be my vote if possible =)

thanks

18. Brew

Brew Well-Known Member

Right now, world4 is vanilla 1.0 survival, with normal difficulty, so all earned/mined. Frontier will be the same, but with mods to make setup and administration easier. Right now I'm just having fun trying out some ideas that I will hopefully re-create on Frontier.

19. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

As pointed out, World4 is survival minded. No spawning of items is allowed except for admin purposes. Sanctuary however allows for spawning if the need is there, e.g. sand due to none being available (that that is there is not be mined at the moment). However, only admins/mods can do the spawning so they act as filters.

Therefore, you can think of World4 (and subsequently Frontier) as being survival and Sanctuary being creative. However both are currently actually survival mode (just to confuse things).

Sorontar