Looking for a game to play...

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Zamok, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Zamok

Zamok Active Member

I am finding myself with some spare time again so I thought I would give FFXIV a go. It just isnt cutting it the control system and the game are still almost primitive imo and it has a long way to go before it should have even been released.

So I am looking for suggestions for something to play.

Wants -

-PVE based or a voluntary only PVP system which isnt required to advance your character.
    -Quests
    -Dungeon/Instance crawls
    - A system that doesnt require you to spend RL cash to advance your toon

I do not mind the grind to advance or hard core games but the game has to have a decent control system that does not make it a chore.

Any suggestions will be welcome, I do not really want to go back to WoW (Its become to easy) or EQ2 (Having to time each melee combat attack in an MMO is a joke, if I wanted to do that I would play Tekken.).

P.S. Will contact someone in guild in FFXIV soon to handover some cash that might help someone else have an easier time of it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

You could try lord of the rings online, its free to play which makes it easy to try out to see if you like it.

3. Zamok

Zamok Active Member

Cheers Wabbajack might download it while I am work tommorow.

4. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

LotRO or Dungeons and Dragons Online both by Turbine. Both are F2P at the start as well.

5. Markan

Markan Administrator Administrator Moderator

You've all saved me a job - thanks ;)

6. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi There,

Although I may be late in responding Everquest 2 has a F2P option as well.

Called "Everquest 2 Extended" with no credit card required to register. The MMORPG download is done via the background of your game play session. The game has 6 years of content fleshed out to be enjoyed. The full vanilla game, expansions (except the most recent one "Sentinels Fate"), and action packs come free to use and explore.

Something else to consider.

7. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

I didnt get on with FFXIV either, the beta was enough for me not know that i didnt like it, shame really as originally i was really looking forward to it.

Tough for me to recomend anything really as for me there isnt much out there worth playing for longevity, i suggest you try one of the older rpgs like mentioned above and wait for Terra and\or Starwars TOR.

However if you fancy a free game champions online is going F2P in the new year so that might be worth looking at to tide you over till the big releases.

8. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Someone already beat me to it, but I was going to say DDO

Tho going Lotro would be a good idea, since they already have their own Division , bigger TOG crowd there, but there are some TOGgers that play DDO

here is DDO wiki link to let ya read up on it there

9. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I personally am waiting on TERA, but am playing Perpetuum in the mean time and really enjoying it even though it is nothing like what I usually play (which is what you listed). Free Client download (is is much less than a Gig), and a trial sub is like 3 bucks USD for 4 days.

10. Silver Lady

Silver Lady Well-Known Member

Hi Zamok, as many toggers already know, in my opinion Guild Wars is the best game ever, so I'll recommend it. While it is not free (you have to buy the game, but as Guild Wars 2 is on it's way, the original GW and it's expansions are relatively cheap now and you will often find them on special somewhere) but there are no monthly fees and anything on offer from the GW shop is completely optional, nothing is needed to advance through the game, it's mostly fancy armour or changing appearance etc.
    Our alliance (3 TOG guilds) are mainly PvE players but GW has quite a lot of consentual PvP in it's own areas. The PvE is played in instances with a limited number of players in a team but the towns and outposts are where everyone comes together.
    GW has a great story line with missions that advance you through the game and lots of quests in between that you can do or not. There is no grinding as the level cap is 20 and very reachable in a very short time. The low level cap gives GW it's unique appeal, the fact that people who have played for years can still team with a beginning character without the newbie losing experience (which is not the case in most other online games).
    There are also lots of dungeons and we try to do one every weekend and if nothing important is happening someone is bound to suggest one at any time and there are always takers for that.
    The Australian guild is very active with around 80 members and we hold some kind of event at least twice a week, usually more.
    If I've tweaked your interest, you can check out our forum http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/guild-wars-hall-heroes/ and you could also get the free trial from GuildWars.com: Welcome to the Official Guild Wars Website to see if you would like it.
    We're pretty nice people and we would make you very welcome :)..........Ellie

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Burning_Sea

The Avatar (Melee combat) controls

Ship Combat Controls
    Ship Controls.jpg

Pirates of the Burning sea has just converted to free to play. The PvP is semi voluntary. As long as you avoid sailing through a red zone you won't need to worry about PvP.

The red zones are formed when enemy factions sink the faction of the ships owned by that port. If enough ships are sunk, a small red zone allows PvP between pirates and the nationals. As the size grows bigger, a dark red zone in the core means any ships sailing in the red zone can be attacked at will.

Eventually the red zone triggers a port battle. Which is a showdown between 24 Ships aside in a battle for ownership of the port. Win or lose, the red circle ends and no contention can be built up for 3 days giving the port owners breathing room to recover.

http://potbs.armeagle.nl/map-antigua.php

Click on the above link to see a real time update of the state of the Antigua (US peak play time) server to see the PvP Red Circles around different ports.

The dark red centre indicates the zone where any ship can attack any other.
    The lighter red outer ring is only for combat between Pirates/Privateers versus other ships.

Note you can adjust the posted game times to your local time zone using the drop down menu in the top right corner of your screen.

If you never port battle or open sea PvP, you can still max out your char to level 50 from just doing the thousands of available quests.

With free to play only the elite missions (ie. designed to test out even a group of level 50 characters in the best ships) are chargable, the other thousands are totally free.

There are two initial PvE story quests to complete as part of your levelling to the maximum level cap of 50.

(1). Role Playing / Story Arc Missions

• Chapter One: Captain <your name> and the Map Of Destiny!
    • Chapter Two: Captain <your name> and the Pirates of Barbary!
    • Chapter Three: captain <your name> and the House of Solomon
    http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Category:RP_Missions

(2). Career Missions
    Your profession specific quest line.
    http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Career_Missions

- There are ten missions for each story line.
    - Every five levels you are assigned a new storyline quest to complete.
    - Both are worth doing as they grant you items and skills specific to your character.

For example, completing Chapter 3 House of Solomon, you gain the PvE only item, House of Solomon Relic http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/House_of_Solomon_Relic

The Target NPC becomes "Trapped in Currents" severely slowing the progress of the target ship making it easier for you to attack or escape.

Melee/Pistol/Sword battles and Ship combat are all instanced.

Its now free to play and you can grind as much or as little as you want.

Only if you stick to the free to play will you be forced to pay from everything after a basic two char slot, two ship slot, two economic structure slot limit.

If you subscribe for one month for US$14.99 and cancel within 30 days, your account becomes a Premium Player which is a former subscriber not currently paying a monthly fee. Hence a lot of those 2 limit caps are raised to the maximum permitted.

If you have ever played Sid Meier's Pirates, then you will be familiar with the ship combat segment.

The melee and ship combat is from third person view.

Avatar combat was redone to make it more epic in that you can take on packs of NPC attacking and still being able to duel other players.

So Pirates of the Burning sea lets you jump into the era of the Age of Sail in the Caribbean of 1720, where Wooden Ships and Iron Men sailed the burning seas in search of the enemy and treasure.

Pirates, get their ships from capture and scavenging rather than the more elaborate process of building a shipyard and assembling ships as required by the three player national factions (British, French, Spanish).

The Dutch are a non-player national faction with a single port and are a great source of PvE missions to play. They are effectively allies to the Pirate (Brethern) faction as their European trader supplies goods to the Pirates Capital of Tortuga.
    http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=news/article&article_id=10334

So its very flexible and easy to pick up and drop off whenever you feel like playing.

On Antigua (US Peak playing time) we are playing as the Brethern (aka Pirate).
    On Roberts (European Peak playing time) we are playing as the French.

If this sounds like something sufficiently different to enable you to enjoy your gaming again, have a read of this posting.
    Sticky:
    [INFO] Pirates of the Burning Sea - Setup Guide

Then join us in game for both/either in game societies by posting your details here.
    Sticky: [JOIN] *** New Player Signup ***

The only grinding will be if you wanted to power level up as there is no experience penalty if you group up with a higher level player in a more powerful ship in a Avatar or ship battle.

You gain experience based on the difference between your character/ship and the enemy. Maximum experience is gained from defeating Players and NPCs at least 5 levels higher than your current level.

Hence you use your free starter boat and sail safely out of NPC cannon range while watching the other level 50 players sail into the middle of a pack of NPCs and blast them in to little bits of drift wood.

The best fun I had in PotBS was teaming up with 5 other players (max 6 people per group) and just hitting all the starter quests in the starter ports.

The new player starter towns:
    For the Brethern/Pirates its Marsh Harbour, The Bahamas.
    For the French its Charlesfort, Florida.

If you get enough people, you can really hammer those mission and finish them faster than you can spare the time to allocate attribute points from levelling up.

One evening, we jumped maybe five levels and had heaps of doubloon drop into our pockets by jointly completing the low level PvE quests for our characters.

Flying Lab Software / Games / Pirates of the Burning Sea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

[​IMG]
    Category:
    MMORPG
    Release Date: January 22, 2008
    Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
    ESRB Rating: Teen

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    IMMERSIVE HISTORICAL MMORPG
    Plunge into the high-stakes world of 18th Century seafaring with Pirates of the Burning Sea. Set against the backdrop of the New World, this MMORPG allows players to skillfully navigate both land and sea as English, French, or Spanish captains or sail under the black flag as a member of the Brethren of the Coast—a pirate.

Successfully engage in tactical ship combat, swashbuckling adventures and cutthroat economics to advance in each career path.

FOUR INGAME PLAYER FACTIONS AND FIVE DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS
    Loyal nationals strive to master navigational skills as Naval Officers, Privateers or Freetraders. Pirates terrorize the seas as manipulative Buccaneers or brutal Cutthroats.

THIRD PERSON VIEW SWORD FIGHTING
    Players hone their fighting skills by training in classic Fencing, flashy Florentine, or Dirty Fighting styles and develop specialized corresponding moves. These skills come in handy when forced to engage in one-on-one duels that test the skill, balance and mastery of each player.

REAL TIME SHIP BATTLES
    On the seas, players engage in fierce ship-to-ship battles with real time combat in customizable, historically inspired ships. Against the deafening cannons and choppy waters, players try to out maneuver their opponents, board, and take control of enemy vessels.

PLAYER RUN ECONOMY
    Pirates of the Burning Sea
    features a player run economy, where captains can forge their own empires across the Caribbean. By building quarries, distilling rum (to boost morale) or managing large scale production and distribution, players contribute to the high-stakes world of commerce.

In a place where profits are the dream and desperate measures the reality, it's no wonder pirates live by the maxim "dead men tell no tales." With rich user-created content, epic missions and stunning graphics, Pirates of the Burning Sea satisfies every adventurer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Getafix likes this.
  12. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Nice write up there Ace :)

13. Zamok

Zamok Active Member

Cheers all for the input. Much appreciated.